Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What size oil tank for a Type IV if going Dry Sump?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gregrobbins
How big a oil tank would one need with a dry sump system?

What is the capacity of the factory six tank?

In a dry sump system for a Type IV, how do you pull oil out of the case and where? Anyone have pictures of plumbing? I have a couple colleced off the web, but sure would like to see more to gain a better understanding.
Jake Raby
This MassIVe unit is made for a Beetle called "Herbie Extreme" with a drysump TIV and it has a 3 gallon capacity..
IPB Image

IPB Image

Three gallons is about the standard... If its too large it'll take forever for the oil temps to rise- even with a thermostat..

I offer these tanks in any shape or size with any fittings.. Send me a cardboard template and we'll make it with internal baffles and fuly piped returns and tank breathers.
Jake Raby
Here is a sample of the plumbing that I like the best...
IPB Image

The way the plumbing is done is very critical....
gregrobbins
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 8 2006, 09:39 PM) *

Here is a sample of the plumbing that I like the best...
IPB Image

The way the plumbing is done is very critical....

Looks beautiful Jake, but still trying to figure out where to pull oil from the case? And where to put it back into the case for that matter. Is that a single or double stage dry sump pump in the motor pictured?

Also, why three gallons? That sure seems like a lot of oil, much more than stock.
Jake Raby
Three gallons is about the standard.. 4 cam engines held about the same in their tanks..

Most pumps pull oil from the case with the stock pick up tube and thats fine. The pump in the pic does this.

What pump are you going to use? Beware of the huge billet pumps, I have seen many of them shear cams due to the huge loads placed on the nose of the cast iron blank to drive them- not cool!

You can plumb the system back into the main oil galleys just like I have in the pic above, but thats all dependant upon the pump you use.
So.Cal.914
Jake will that pump fit behind the stock fan shroud?
Jake Raby
Yes. minimal clearance work is needed.
groot
Greg,

I'm using a 3-gallon Patterson tank , you don't fill it all the way up.... only about 2/3 full.

I'm also using the same CB pump that Jake shows... but I still have the stock oil filter in place. On the new engine, Jake will get rid of the stock filter.

Jake, You've got 2 fittings near where the stock filter goes. What are they plumbed to? Just a loop?
ChrisFoley
I made my own tank that fits in the passenger footwell. The filler neck goes in the fuel tank compartment and there is a dip stick to check the oil level. I think it is a little less than 12qt. capacity, maybe only 10qt.
IPB Image
The CB pump criss-crosses the oil flow path so the stock pickup is used to remove oil from the case and it comes out the front fitting on the left, headed for the cooler, then to the tank. The supply from the tank goes into the fitting on the right and then up to the oil filter mounting area.
davep
Can the stock 914/6 tank be used, filter and all?
Then an GT style oil cooler could also be fitted also.
Just think, a complete 914 GT with four cylinders. idea.gif
Brando
I don't see why you couldn't use the stock /6 location for a tank (or even a reproduction /6 tank). The fittings should be sufficient in size, and plumbing would be just as challenging.
Dave_Darling
The stock Six oil capacity was about 9 quarts. Not sure what if anything that says about what's "good" for a four-banger motor, though.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.