Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 Fuel Injection Problems or I own the carbs ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AMS1
IPB Image

This 73 914 was bought out from under me last year and now I finally tracked it down and own it for $200 more than I was going to buy it for last summer. It still has the same problem it had when I looked at it last year. The did the valves, that's what I thought it was. And they did about $1500 worth of other goodies, plus painted it silver from orange, it was yellow original. Interior had one tear and someone put in the 3 center gauges allready.
I own a JANBO analyzer and here's what I found. First off the Fuel pump is intermittant. So I pulled the relay board and the tar was all cracked. We peeled it off put it back in and the pump ran and the car started. We still have the same problem every day with the pump and that board. Solder I know. The steps in the JANBO analyzer were hit and miss some worked some did nothing. No reading on the injector resistance, all 4. Primary and Secondary Pressure sensors were open or at 0 supposed to be 90 and 350 ohms. Temp sensor 1 & 2 were 400 ohm and 2000 ohm should be 350 and 2500 at 68 degress F. It was over 70 in the garage.
Trigger point 1 was in the orange about at the 12 volts line suppose to be white or black which is open or closed.Trigger point 2 was 0 or open. Engine would not crank from tester.
Manually operating the fuel injectors from the tester produced nothing no sounds etc.
In Fuel Enrichment the needle is suppose to move back and forth from open to closed, it moves back and forth but never makes it over to closed side of the meter. It swings back and forth but the needle never even gets to vertical on the meter much less all the way over to the right side which is the closed position. The 2nd switch segment does the same thing.
Pressure Sensor testing was done with the Mity Vac and it pulled a Vacuum to 15" hg and held it, when released it was a smooth decline to 0. We did this several times. I was hoping this was the problem.
The car runs the same on the PEE BRAIN as it does on it's own ECU.
Rough running due to rich condition. Black Smoke,Unable to drive down the road for fear of engine damage. The Pee Brain tests only the components of EFI, wiring harness, trigger points, fuel injectors and the pressure fuel system.

The only book I have is the Haynes.

1. I put in NGK's they had Champions
2. Is the relay board the only problem
3. Could it be the harness also
4. I own a VW 68 crew cab with a 1.8 914 motor and a pair of Webers'
Should I just pull the carbs and put em on the 1.7 and call it a day.
I'm hesitant to do this because I'm not scared of FI and I own the JANBO but I have no idea what a used Relay board should go for, it's $1200 at the stealership.

Thanks for any help beerchug.gif
toon1
do a search for Brad Anders on this site or google, he has extensive info. on trouble shooting FI.

If you can get the car to run that's good, it might be a stuck injector, to much fuel pressure( not likely), wrong MPS/ECU/CHTS, combo.

If the FI is already on there,dig a little deeper before you put on the carbs. It may be something simple.

Good luck

Oh yea, welcome.png
TravisNeff
It sounds like you need to address your relay board issues right away. That is the conduit for your fuel pump and power to your ECU. Perhaps you have some issues with the FI harness? Brad Anders checks into this site from time to time, and has a Janbo tester as well, shoot him a PM
AMS1
Add a phantom drain to the list. Dead battery now. Ugh old cars.
tdgray
Having been through many...many 1.7 FI issues I sympathize.

Replace that relay board now. It is probably the source of the fuel pump problems.

As for the FI.. does the MPS hold vacuum. Are all the FI hoses in place and in good condition?

Start with the basics.. then report back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.