Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 2.0 - free to good home - mine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
I posted a wanted ad for a 2.0 motor months ago in the classifieds here. Last week a gentleman from ft. lauderdale (about 25 miles away) contacted me via e-mail. He said he had a 1974 2.0 that has been sitting for a year and a half. When he got the car 3 years ago, ran great, put in new clutch, shifter bushings, etc.

All he wanted from me was to haul it away. Well I showed up yesterday and now I am the owner of my second 914. I can't find the GA or GB on the motor, only GE, what's up with that?. It does have the vertical throttle body so I am pretty sure that it is in fact a 2.0. Chassis Number is 4742900698.

The car looks fabulous from the outside, even has fuchs. Have to check if they are the real thing. The chassis however is totally rusted. Even has started to sag at the firewall. Just washed off year and a half of dirt. Also has center console with all gauges etc.

Now what do I do. Never parted out a car before. Want to remove motor/tranny for rebuild and install in the race car.

Where do I start?

help rolleyes.gif

dave
Joe Bob
It will take a while but you will have people climbing up yer butt for parts.....especially bumpers and stuff......have a sawzall party and then store the parts. Have a kegger party and take pics.
davep
Well, congrats. That is indeed a 1974, and all the early ones were 2.0L. However, the original engine was replaced by a 75 or 76 version; hence the GE #. What is the paint code and chassis number from the Karmann badge on the door hinge post? To check the authenticity of the Fuchs, look on the back side for a part number, and the fox's head. To drop the engine and trans, remove battery, then disconnect all wires, cables and fuel lines. Raise the rear end of the car and remove the exhaust, heating parts, and shift rods. Place a trolly jack under the rear of the engine just in front of the trans bellhousing. Remove the bolts from the engine bar. Remove the bolts from the trans ears. Slowly drop the engine package down. I often use some sheet metal to guide the engine tin over the nuts on the end of the suspension. With a bit of practice this is a one man job. Two really helps; one to do the work, the other to get beer. givemebeer.gif Actually, the other to guide things so you don't have to get up and down so often, and to provide moral and safety support. Split the eng and trans only after removal.

DaveP BTDT
boxsterfan
I would be interested in the seats w/floor brackets and backpad. PM or e-mail me.
scottb
hey dave!

i would be interested in the console clock and the targa bar padding that goes across the roll bar around the latches. mueba.gif

i'll send beer if that will help! beer3.gif
RustyWa
GC is the code for 75/76 2.0L 914's....
RustyWa
GE 1978-1979 VW Transporter
7.3:1 67hp@4200rpm
101ft-lb@3000rpm
'79 model year has unique exhaust ports that may not work with most aftermarket exhaust systems.
'78 model year introduced hydraulic cam followers
machina
so the car has a VW truck motor?

It does have the 3 stud intake configuration and the vertical throttle body. Also has the 914 style oil filler. So what the hell is in there?

Could they have changed just the case?

dr
Aaron Cox
im interested in rockers and front valence.

PM me or email me
Mark Henry
If it has 3 bolt heads it sounds like a case change to me.

When you get it out yank one lifter to see if it's hydros. (if it has steel pushrods it's most likely hydros as well).

good score.
machina
so if the case was changed but it has the 2.0 head, is it a good candidate to rebuild into race motor?

plan on building for E Production which allows weber 44IDF, any cam, any piston of same size up to 1.5mm over, etc.

I'll have to start doing research. Where do most 914'ers buy motor parts like P/C, carbs, etc.

thanks,
dr
davep
OOPS, I was wrong on the case code. VW version case is correct. Only the 914 had 3 bolt heads though. Basically the VW bottom end is very much the same. It may not have the 914 splash shields in the bottom, and could have the hydraulic lifters and cam. Still, it is a good candidate for a rebuild. You will have to check to see what it has. Does it have the temperature sender for the guage? That would be a positive sign. It really depends on how well the rebuild was done.

DaveP
redshift
EBAY it as mint. Make sure to take $500.00 non-refundable deposits. (for a living)

laugh.gif

M
Joe Ricard
I will take what ever you don't want. I do want the Fuchs. Let us know what your plans are, I have Sawsall and a truck. Sounds like a good excuse for a road trip.
machina
I would love to sell the fuchs now but then it won't even be a roller. I have 4 sets of wheels for the racecar but they are all 5 lug. Don't have any other 4 lug wheels to slap on her.

Ill check for the temp sender manana. (that means tommorrow)

dr
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.