Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dkos
I am hoping the Great Minds at 914Club might have some suggestions on buying a new/new to me daily driver. I need to replace my '96 Acura Integra. It's been a great car, but it's got 160,000 miles on it and it's starting to cost me too much to keep it on the road. It's also starting to rust pretty bad.

I do about 50 miles/day so good gas mileage is important. I do need to haul my 2 kids around periodically so a 4 door is prefered. My wife will sometimes use it so it needs to be automatic. I am willing to spend about $16,000 on the car.

I've done some internet research and I've looked at the new Honda Fit (didn't like it), Scion xB (lots of room, good gas mileage, $15500 new), and a used 2006 Toyota Matrix XR (it has 6000 miles on it). Not crazy about any of them, but am leaning towards the Matrix.

I'm not opposed to buying a low mileage used car.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Demick
Take a look at a Mazda3 four door or five door.

smontanaro
What about a used Honda Civic Hybrid? Check cars.com. I found lots within 100 miles of my zip code (Chicago area).

Skip
DerekKim
My uncle has a Civic hybrid. He said he was disappointed with it. Plus everytime he brakes the A/C cut off. Maybe just on his. Also if the batteries go out it's like 6k to replace. I will 2nd the Mazda3. They look pretty swell. Have you looked at the new Yaris? They are about 16 new. They have a 3 door and 4 door I believe.
anthony
The batteries don't cost $6K and you shouldn't have to replace them anyway. Anyway, the regular Civic sedan that gets 40mpg on the highway is an even better deal than the hybrid IMO.
dlo914
Rode in buddies Matrix XRS and it has more pep since it's got the Celica GTS motor in it. If only the body was a Jap design, the body being designed by GM has made this car a bad combo. Heavy american designed chassis and a small sized 4 banger engine. But for a decent DD i'd go the Toyota/Scion Route .
turboman808
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Nov 9 2006, 12:20 PM) *

Rode in buddies Matrix XRS and it has more pep since it's got the Celica GTS motor in it. If only the body was a Jap design, the body being designed by GM has made this car a bad combo. Heavy american designed chassis and a small sized 4 banger engine. But for a decent DD i'd go the Toyota/Scion Route .

Heck why not get a celica GTS then. I got one as a lease in 2001 and it was a fantastic car. I was really surprised by it. Very roomy and go kart handling. Next thing you know my daily driver was on the track driving.gif

Can get a 2005 in that price range easy
Crazyhippy
How about 2or3or8 914's??

One for everyday of the week... biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
civic, sentra(se-r), mazda3, lot of good cars for 16k, esp. if a 1year old, low-milage car is an option and you don't HAVE to have brand new...

914nerd
If you can find one in your price range, VW Jetta TDI's are pretty good
45+ mpg
good interior space and good cargo space
plus, the diesel motor should last basically forever (like a million miles or more depending on how well it is take care of)
The only down side is that diesel is still more expensive than regular gasoline
Qarl
Interested in an F-ed up Elise?

biggrin.gif
jhadler
The matrix Xr is the AWD model right? I've heard some bad things about the durrability of the drivetrain. Like the car, but have never actually driven one.

What about a used MINI Cooper or even an S? Or a used Prius? Lots of choices for that price range. I take it you're looking for a family hauler though right? Well, I've been pretty happy with my Volvo 850 Turbo. Plenty of beans, and gets around 24 mpg combined city/highway. Abnd you could get a cherry one with plenty of cash left over... The VW suggestion is a good one. Heck, you could get a pretty darn good <cough> subie for that much... biggrin.gif Hard to go wrong there...

-Josh2
Ferg
Another vote for the Mazda3, I prefer the 5door wagon. Nothing listed even comes close in terms of a driver's car...

Ferg driving.gif
anthony
The only thing I didn't like about the Mazda 3 is that it is a revver. I mean, it feels weak until 3,500rpms and then pulls strong until redline. For a daily driver, I'd rather have it torquey down low. It seems like a lot of car for the money though.
914nerd
There is a real advantage to the TDI
low end torque!
I've accelerated up a pretty steep hill at around 80 and still kept the engine revs relatively low (<3k)
The downside is that they redline early too
rhodyguy
this is to be considered a *disposeable* car? dump it in 4, 5, 6 years? if so, go for a NEW vehicle with a 10yr/100k warranty. they can be found in your price range.

k
G e o r g e
i have an XB i picked up for the wife to drive around town instead of the excursion, gets 33 on the highway about 29 in town. plenty of head room.
i would install the front sway bar it helped with the handling alot.
wbergtho
Another vote for the Mazda3, I prefer the 5door wagon. Nothing listed even comes close in terms of a driver's car...

Add my vote for the Mazda3. Nicely priced...good looking car...economic. What more can you ask for? Wish I had 16K burning a hole in my pocket...I'd go out and buy one myself.
JB 914
QUOTE(Qarl @ Nov 9 2006, 01:38 PM) *

Interested in an F-ed up Elise?

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif at least you have a sense of humor. i hope it all works out Qarl.

back on topic

I really like those Scion's or the Element. Might be able to get a used Element for cheap. I really like the new CRV too. however, it's probably a bit out of your SRP.

I think those FJ toyota's are cool too. however, the dealers are gouging big time and slapping everything on them.

I'm about ready to sell my Tahoe in the next year. I bought it used for 1/2 of the new cost. I'd recommend looking at something 1-3 years old with low miles that is at a good price.

too bad you are not in SoCal. this is the land of vain people that live by the "new every two" car buying motto. So, the used market is a buyers market.

Heck, i've seen 3 year old loaded S500's with low miles for 25-35K that are in mint condition. If i didn't need to have to cart around clients hardware and haul the kids i'd be sportin around town in one of those off lease bargins. driving.gif

good luck
dkos
Wow, thanks for the great replies...sorry I couldn't get to the computer while you were posting them.
VaccaRabite
Dkos,

What about a Subaru? You would be able to find an 05 Outback Sport for well within your budget, get 30mpg, have proven AWD for when the weather gets crappy around Philly, have a car that is copeting with Honda and Toyota for top scores in maintence, and still have a car thats relativly fun to drive. You could probably find a 04 or 05 WRX for your budget too.

Zach
dkos
I'll attempt to respond to to everyone in one post:

Seems like a lot of you reccomend the Mazda 3. I do like the looks of the hatchback and it seems like one of the peppier econo cars, but I think it's a little out of my price range (even used).

I'd probably go for a gas Civic over the Hybird. Just doesn't ssem worth the extra money for the hybrid to save a little on gas.

The Matric I was looking at was FWD and AWD.

Celica is out...no room for the kids.

VW TDI? Volkswagens, in general, don't seem to rate too well on the used car reports (like Consumer Reports).

I'd like to get close to 30 MPG and I generally hold on to a car 'till it's no longer cost effective to keep it running. I don't really have $16,000.00 burning a hole in my pocket. It's just the maximum amount I have budgeted for this car.

I do really like the Scion xB. It's only $15,000 NEW and it comes with a lot of good standard features: ABS, automatic, traction control. It's made by Toyota, there is a ton of space in it and the funky styling is a little more hip than the Matric or Civic. My wife hates the look of the Scion, but I'm starting to lean towards it more and more.
dkos
Zach,

I'll have to look into the Subaru. I didn't realize they got that good mileage.

Dave

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 10 2006, 08:59 AM) *

Dkos,

What about a Subaru? You would be able to find an 05 Outback Sport for well within your budget, get 30mpg, have proven AWD for when the weather gets crappy around Philly, have a car that is copeting with Honda and Toyota for top scores in maintence, and still have a car thats relativly fun to drive. You could probably find a 04 or 05 WRX for your budget too.

Zach

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.