Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any type4/914 people around me?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
I live in Louisville,KY. I drive a 914. I need some help, I've owned this car for three years and i'm working on getting this to work out well for me. I started with ****NO**** mechanical/auto experience at all. I've come a long way but still need more help.

I need someone to talk to who knows these aircooled engines.

I'd love to just say "f it" and drive it till it breaks, but i'm afraid thats not a option for me. I'd love to enjoy a reliable car.

Here is what I did:
timing set to 30 degrees at 3500RPM
Tunable L-Jet installed (problem here is no baseline)
Dakota Digital CHT (self-compensating)
regular fuel
1.7L engine

--------------
Any constructive help would be appreciated. Telling me to get a Honda is not constructive, just in case if anybody was wondering.
rick 918-S
Sorry buddy, can't help. You've come along way. Keep going. Someone should be able to help out.
type47
why did you decide to time it at 30 degrees @3500 with L-jet? i don't know if it makes any difference, but d-jet is 27@3500 and l-jet is about 7.5 @ 900
davep
Yes but under totally different conditions.
bd1308
I timed it at 7.5@900, but checked timing to make sure it was 30@3500.

Mueller
QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 9 2006, 02:49 PM) *

why did you decide to time it at 30 degrees @3500 with L-jet? i don't know if it makes any difference, but d-jet is 27@3500 and l-jet is about 7.5 @ 900

the more important number is max advance....if the dizzy rotates 22.5° then at max advance, he should be spot on at 900 rpms

I'm not sure why he "tweaked" the L-jet....the demands of the 1.7 should be close enough to the demands of a "bus" 2.0 engine for the AFM to know how much air is being pulled into the engine....

I'd never recommend a Honda for you...I think a Hyundia with a 100K mile warr. is a better choice smile.gif poke.gif
bd1308
Yeah but it wasnt. I drove to work belching black smoke the whole way, hence me adjusting it.
jwalters
I remember some time ago some people were working hard to remake new MPS's -

Whatever came of this??
bd1308
I went to L-Jet because I'm cheap....

I bought MS and i'm building it right now. Anybody have maps for MS for a 1.7?

I might also need to check fuel too. What really sucks is that it ran fine and cool for a night and then ran hot again.

bd1308
It seems carb people would have similiar situations, could any of those people shed some light on this matter?

I get most power at x setting, but high head temps, so i tune to either side at a respectable amount from x and i still get high head temps.
914nerd
How did you set up your L-jet to be tunable?
I personally need to tweak things a little bit, and am going to go to MS at some point, but for right now, am looking to modify the L-jet
Thanks,
Charles
dwillouby
Britt,

I know of an easy to tune solution for you! V8. smile.gif I wish I could help on your 4. I think you know more about them than I do.
You have come a long way with your 914. Dont give up.

Damn gotta go to Korea again. mad.gif

David
bd1308
Well, its more complicated than it looks.

That screw looking thing is your idle mixture adjustment. for IDLE only.

If you take a screwdriver and VERY GENTLY pry and scrape off the glue RTV stuff, you can open that black cover to expose some track and wiper. Looks pretty scary, but theres a clip holding a black cog by the teeth to prevent it from turning.

counter clockwise = less spring tension, more rich
clockwise = more spring tension, more lean.

2 clicks either way is a minor adjustment, anything more is major.

I started from no tension, which was a VERY bad idea. dont take off that clip.
914nerd
Thanks
That is something that I can deal with
I really didn't want to have to crack the brain open and start splicing in resistors and pots and all of that fun stuff
A nice mechanical adjustment is good

Charles
bd1308
go two clicks rich and you should be good.
bd1308
QUOTE(dwillouby @ Nov 9 2006, 07:09 PM) *

Britt,

I know of an easy to tune solution for you! V8. smile.gif I wish I could help on your 4. I think you know more about them than I do.
You have come a long way with your 914. Dont give up.

Damn gotta go to Korea again. mad.gif

David

could you help me tune this beast then?

If I ever wanted to get watercooled, I want a V8...I'm *SICK* of waving racers on to go ahead of me.

I have your welding helmet, and I owe you a grinder handle thing
dwillouby
Ill help you any way I can. Dont worry about the stuff. Ill get it at the next event or whenever.

David
bd1308
Would tight valves cause this? I'm running out of ideas. Oil is good, no birds nests in the tin....timing good, dwell OK, the FI seems good.

What am I missing? I'm hurrying to finish this MS so I can get my car tuned by a pro, or since MetaTune is available, I could just use that....
rick 918-S
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Nov 9 2006, 09:53 PM) *

Would tight valves cause this? I'm running out of ideas. Oil is good, no birds nests in the tin....timing good, dwell OK, the FI seems good.

What am I missing? I'm hurrying to finish this MS so I can get my car tuned by a pro, or since MetaTune is available, I could just use that....

Your saying your rich? or lean?

I didn't see you mention fuel pressure. Rich could be too much fuel pressure and leaking injectors, Lean could be low fuel pressure.

Start with the valves,

then do a compression check,

recheck the dwell,

check the timing.

Then check the fuel pressure.

All systems go, this should make it run.

bd1308
it runs fine. I can make it run really crappy too, but even at its 'peak' running, its still running hot.

I'll borrow the fuel gauge from the VW guy and test the fuel pressure.

the temps used to be good only when i am running lean. i think i'll run it *PIG* rich on the way home tonight and see what happens.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.