Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine choice for Autocross
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Joe Ricard
So I was listening to Jake's radio show lastnight pt II of the Cylinder heads and power over 120 and up.

I heard him say 2270 makes power to 6 grand
followed by 2056 with same heads will make power to 7 grand.

So I am building a 2098 71mm stoke 97 mm pistons 10 to 1 compression

Probably going to spring for the LE 200 heads

Ok so Autocross course of late require me to spin to at least 6250 RPM or shift to next higher gear for that short 40 - 50 feet. Better to stay in lower gear and gut it out against the rev limiter

Which is faster overall 2270 that will pull taller gear or accelerate quicker in lower gear but be limited in top speed by being all out by 6K RPM? making 60 MPH tops

Or short stroke motor that will pull well with a ZD 3rd and can hit near 70 MPH

I think there is more to discuss but I am somewhat distracted right now damn ADD.
URY914
Damn Joe, how about asking a question that can be answered. biggrin.gif

Easy really, you need two engines. After you walk the course, figure out which one works the best for the course layout and stick it in. aktion035.gif
Crazyhippy
running out of power, and running out of revs are 2 different things...

The 2270 should still pull to 6500, but the power will have dropped off @ 6K, thus no shift needed still.
Joe Ricard
Don't like should
I like will.

Paul I am also curious about the charateristics of your 2316. I imagine your light car can accelerate pretty quickly. do you have stock gears in your transaxle?
What kind of RPM's do you pull.

Oh and good luck this weekend on the course.
J P Stein
Humm.....a couple of items that you may find useful.

Fer instance, my limiter is set at 7100....I could throw in a 7300 or 7500 rpm pill if I ever feel the need. I've used the 7300 but not the 7500. Max power for my cams is around 6300, but that don't mean it's not pulling hard at 7K.

Gears rule. A GA mainshaft will get you more speed. I can get 63+ in 2nd at 7100 with these small dia tires. A 904 mainshaft would be nicer, but $$$$$.
The B 1st works well for start sections. I was afraid it would kill accelleration...not....shoulda gone to a C.

I have found that when I run out of second in a stretch that puts me 30-50 feet from a braking point, a short shift into 3rd is the hot ticket. A bigger motor allows you to "torque thru" a section that you would normaly run in 2nd. This can be a bit hard on the clutch tho.....a down shift to no2 is a piece of cake...if ya geterdone before turning in. biggrin.gif

All this is a long way of saying go for the torque.
URY914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 9 2006, 04:28 PM) *

Don't like should
I like will.

Paul I am also curious about the charateristics of your 2316. I imagine your light car can accelerate pretty quickly. do you have stock gears in your transaxle?
What kind of RPM's do you pull.

Oh and good luck this weekend on the course.

My tranny is full of stock gears. I haven't seen a need to change them. I'm waiting for a course layout that makes it better for me to start in 2nd gear. I know I have the torque to do it if needed. My power band is so broad I could get away with only a 2nd and a 3rd really. I try not to go over 6800 but it's seen 7200 or maybe higher before. By the time I hit 7000 I'm looking at the cones, not at the tach. Things happen in my car VERY quickly. driving.gif
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 9 2006, 04:30 PM) *

Humm.....a couple of items that you may find useful.

Fer instance, my limiter is set at 7100....I could throw in a 7300 or 7500 rpm pill if I ever feel the need. I've used the 7300 but not the 7500. Max power for my cams is around 6300, but that don't mean it's not pulling hard at 7K.

Gears rule. A GA mainshaft will get you more speed. I can get 63+ in 2nd at 7100 with these small dia tires. A 904 mainshaft would be nicer, but $$$$$.
The B 1st works well for start sections. I was afraid it would kill accelleration...not....shoulda gone to a C.

I have found that when I run out of second in a stretch that puts me 30-50 feet from a braking point, a short shift into 3rd is the hot ticket. A bigger motor allows you to "torque thru" a section that you would normaly run in 2nd. This can be a bit hard on the clutch tho.....a down shift to no2 is a piece of cake...if ya geterdone before turning in. biggrin.gif

All this is a long way of saying go for the torque.

Hell JP you're giving away all the secrets.

Isn't it better to have the newbies show up with two motors and transmissions? happy11.gif

J P Stein
[quote name='Randal' date='Nov 9 2006, 05:38 PM' post='813040']
[quote name='J P Stein' post='812994' date='Nov 9 2006, 04:30 PM']
Hell JP you're giving away all the secrets.

Isn't it better to have the newbies show up with two motors and transmissions? happy11.gif
[/quote]

I gots a soft spot for guys with yellow 914s confused24.gif
grantsfo
Torque, torque and more torque.
Joe Ricard
Wish I would have had the opportunity to drive Fred Hurst's 2270.
Pretty much a street car on street car tires. not sure if I could have used his power of not. He claims 150 as it is an early kit.
anthony
Why a 2098? Class rules?

It seems like the ultimate AX motor would be some hybrid of Jake's 2270 Torquer and the 2316.

Joe Ricard
No class rules exactly. just scored the super duper light weight domed 97mm pistons from Paul. and some waterboxster rods from Jake and flywheel clutch, cam lifters from Brett.
looking at 10:1 compression spin to 7000 RPM. and sub 1800 pounds.
ZD 3rd gear.
LE 200 heads are in my future.
TWM throttle bodies and some sort of Fuel injection.

Building the fastest car I can with the budget I have.
PinetreePorsche
Joe R. got my attention with the reference to Jake on a radio show (Jake's show?). Where is it found--of the airwaves, or also on the computer? How long has this been available (sorry to have missed the stream of experience that has run past)? I wanna catch it--is it weekly, or what? -Chris H (PinetreePorsche)
Borderline
Pinetree: go to the Jake's aircooled site and look for the 4th Dimension radio show. they do 1 a week. some very good info and some good deals too.
Mike T
Joe;

I think you would like a "flipped" 5th gear in your 3rd spot in your transaxle. In a way it gives you 2 "second" gears to choose from. I was immediately faster when I had mine done. Figures out to 1.409:1 and is good for 73mph at 6500rpm with 23.5" tires. Now I use 2nd gear on only the very tightest courses.

Mike T
Joe Ricard
Thanks Mike. You are right I DO love the ZD 3rd.
I have had it in my car for over a year. and my 22 x 9.5 x x15 tires provides awesome acceleration. although top speed is a bit lacking.

I am considering an S gear for 4th also.
Mike T
I didn't realize you already had the ZD setup.

Your 22.5" tires make 2nd good for about 52mph at 6500rpm and a 1750rpm drop when you shift to 3rd.

Ever try running a fast 2nd gear course in 3rd? I did that and was faster right away. I was holding myself back by staying in 2nd gear all the time. I realized I could have used 3rd more often than I was.

Mike T
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Mike T @ Nov 13 2006, 12:55 PM) *

I didn't realize you already had the ZD setup.

Your 22.5" tires make 2nd good for about 52mph at 6500rpm and a 1750rpm drop when you shift to 3rd.

Ever try running a fast 2nd gear course in 3rd? I did that and was faster right away. I was holding myself back by staying in 2nd gear all the time. I realized I could have used 3rd more often than I was.

Mike T

Geesh and my 22 inch tires make the ratio even lower.
Yea, I have tried short shifting to 3rd @ say 5000 RPM's and the car pulled pretty hard.

This was the origin of this thread. to shift or not to shift and weather a high winding motor wouold be better than a torque monster slinging a big ass crank.

I guess I didn't realize that a 2270 will also rev to 7 grand. just the way I was listening to it a 2270 was all done by 6 grand.

Yea torque is cool. maybe next motor will be 2316 roller motor. drooley.gif
Mike T
What tires are you running on your car? I thought they were the Formula Atlantic fronts? 22.5x9.5-15. No?

Mike T
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Mike T @ Nov 16 2006, 03:49 PM) *

What tires are you running on your car? I thought they were the Formula Atlantic fronts? 22.5x9.5-15. No?

Mike T

22 x 9.5 x 15
C3000 Hoosiers R25A

I will be getting another set of these as the grip is awesome and got 100 competative runs from them.
ChrisFoley
Joe,
Dyno results from Dave Worrell's 2270 with LE 200 heads and a 1 3/4" EVO header show the power above 170@6k and not yet at peak. Torque was above 150 from 3-6k with peak above 170. I don't think Jake had time to swap in the 1 5/8" Tangerine that he has but my guess is the numbers would have been as good or better even. My headers actually like more rpm than that combo. The other headers Jake tested on that engine had already peaked by 5500.
Randal
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 16 2006, 09:41 PM) *

Joe,
Dyno results from Dave Worrell's 2270 with LE 200 heads and a 1 3/4" EVO header show the power above 170@6k and not yet at peak. Torque was above 150 from 3-6k with peak above 170. I don't think Jake had time to swap in the 1 5/8" Tangerine that he has but my guess is the numbers would have been as good or better even. My headers actually like more rpm than that combo. The other headers Jake tested on that engine had already peaked by 5500.

Looking forward to testing your great workmanship on the motor going into the silver machine Chris.

Just finishing sorting out the pistons so that our compression is 12.5 to 1. Now on to the roller rockers and sorting out the oiling.

Randal
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 16 2006, 11:41 PM) *

Joe,

Thanks Chris, See I just get smarter everyday hanging out with you guys.
Oh BTW listened Jake's program last night. I guess congrats on being back at the top of the heap as far as Headers go.

I've had your 1 5/8" EVO on my car for nearly a year now. 16,000 miles consisting of driving to 17 Autocrosses and 2 track days. Looks as good today as when I put it on.

I am looking forward to hooking it up to my new motor by Christmas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.