Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to this forum
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mfiorito
I am in process of purchasing my 5th 914. I have not owned one for @ 10 years and miss it vary much. Can anyone tell me what the differance between a 1.8L and a 2.0. What is required to make the 1.8 into a 2.0 All the cars I have owned were 1.7s or 1.8s My first one was a 1971 my dad purchased in 1972 and sold it 17 years ago with 40 k on it. My second car was a 1973 and I drove it into the ground fallowed by a 1974 then a 1975 . I sold the last two when I got married. Big mastake getting married and selling my cars.
JoeSharp
welcome.png

Just buy a 2L and be done with it.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
anthony
A 2L engine = 71mm stroke, 94mm cylinders, and 2L heads
A 1.8L engine = 66mm stroke, 93mm cylinder, and 1.8L heads

You can add a 2L crank, pistons, and cylinders to make a 1.8 into a 2.0. At that point you might as well consider 96mm cylinders and maybe even more stroke.

I agree with Joe. Buy a 2L car if that is what you want. Building engines isn't cheap.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(mfiorito @ Nov 9 2006, 05:31 PM) *

Can anyone tell me what the difference between a 1.8L and a 2.0.

A little less than 200 cc's biggrin.gif

crank 66 vs. 71
rods length
pistons and cylinders 93 vs. 94
heads spark plug location size
15-20 hp give or take

QUOTE(mfiorito @ Nov 9 2006, 05:31 PM) *
What is required to make the 1.8 into a 2.0

new crank, rods, pistons, cylinders, heads, tin, possibly heat exchangers, efi if you want djet with the 2 ltr. maybe more maybe less beerchug.gif
So.Cal.914
You can make your 1.8 L a 2.0 L (1971cc) by changing the crank, rods, and P&C's

you can run your heads and the rest. Although the 2.0 heads are a better design

and will give you a little more power.
Cruzing
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Nov 9 2006, 08:15 PM) *

You can make your 1.8 L a 2.0 L (1971cc) by changing the crank, rods, and P&C's

you can run your heads and the rest. Although the 2.0 heads are a better design

and will give you a little more power.

He has a good idea, stay away from dealing with rebuilding 2.0 heads, they are a discontinued rebuild only availabilty now,, a pain..
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Cruzing @ Nov 9 2006, 08:43 PM) *

stay away from dealing with rebuilding 2.0 heads, they are a discontinued rebuild only availabilty now,, a pain..

you keep saying that 2 ltr heads are NLA and a pain to rebuild,

here are bare NOS at pelican

here are new casting CNC to 2 ltr spec

and I'm pretty sure Len at HAM, and Adrian and Headflow masters would say that

rebuilding stock heads is work, but not the end of the world.
Cruzing
QUOTE(George H. @ Nov 9 2006, 09:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Cruzing @ Nov 9 2006, 08:43 PM) *

stay away from dealing with rebuilding 2.0 heads, they are a discontinued rebuild only availabilty now,, a pain..

you keep saying that 2 ltr heads are NLA and a pain to rebuild,

here are bare NOS at pelican

here are new casting CNC to 2 ltr spec

and I'm pretty sure Len at HAM, and Adrian and Headflow masters would say that

I am not trying to trump your opinion,,, I am just referring to my own experiance of replacing 4 heads that failed on the EXH side valve seats, valve seats slapping around is a very bad and expensive ordeal, fouling the top of pistons is no fun either, finding the good machine shop and having enough money here in S.D. there are none up to the task ($1,300-$2,100 per set min as per your link, well that is not cheap either) I gave up and went with a 6cyl to get out of the cycle.. That is all I am referring too as just a warning of what could happen... smile.gif
rick 918-S
welcome.png assimilate.gif
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Cruzing @ Nov 9 2006, 10:03 PM) *

I am not trying to trump your opinion,,, I am just referring to my own experiance of replacing 4 heads that failed on the EXH side valve seats, valve seats slapping around is a very bad and expensive ordeal, fouling the top of pistons is no fun either, finding the good machine shop and having enough money here in S.D. there are none up to the task ($1,300-$2,100 per set min as per your link, well that is not cheap either) I gave up and went with a 6cyl to get out of the cycle.. That is all I am referring too as just a warning of what could happen... smile.gif

buying replacements of most items on these cars of ours is not cheap.

but rebuilding heads from len was running 600 this week + parts.

most of the opinions i have read on here about head work state that you need to have a shop that has a clue as to the type 4 heads before you allow them to do anything.

Mueller
QUOTE(Cruzing @ Nov 9 2006, 10:03 PM) *

oh great, a Grant/Trekkor groupie.... biggrin.gif

another option is to keep all the 1.8 internals and 1.8 heads and use larger pistons and cylinders, the "norm" big bore kit yeilds a 1911cc...this will be a short stroke motor, it gives up a little bit of torque compared to a "real" 2.0, but it is still a very enjoyable engine...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.