Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT...lookin for a 54cm old school bike frameset
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
i am looking for an old 54cm( that is about 21 1/2 )frameset.....i can't find one around here and am wondering if any for the old cyclists had sucha frame or the knowledge of the whereabouts for such a frame....i want to make it into a "rat" look fixed gear bike
my only stipupulation is rear drop outs cannot be vertical....
i would prefer an old 531 frameset w bottom braket,and headset...but am open to ideas........
sorry no 914content
turboman808
Should be tons of frames like that on Ebay.

Here is the oldschool bike I build last winter.

Campagnolo Nuovo groupo with modolo scott brakes and levers. Pretty sweet bik for less then $1000 if I recall correctly.

Also my cruiser that I have just never gotten around to finishing sad.gif

pete-stevers
that is a sweet road bike ..who is the frame builder, or make
pete-stevers
checking out ebay...as much as i can't stand that entity...
any other ideas or sites that some of you may know???
Demick
Definitely Craigslist if you live in an active craigslist area. You might be better off to get a complete bike rather than just a frame. Deals like these on 80's and 90's bikes are all over the place

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/231111678.html
MrKona
I agree with the other two guys. As much as you might dislike Ebay, it's the best place I've seen so far for old-school bike stuff. Craig's list too, if you can get lucky with something in your area. Just for kicks, here's my old-school bike. Vitus frame that I bought in 1989. A couple years ago, I set it up with a singlespeed freewheel (no fixed gear for me). It's got a Campy C-Record crank, Athena brakes. Very clean and simple.
Demick
I don't get the single speed thing. Do you only ride on a velodrome? Or are there just no hills where you live?

crash914
E-bay.....

just picked up an aluminum frame with carbon fork for $30.00

I am building it up with all dura ace stuff.....
anthony
I don't get the vintage thing. I like to look at them but I don't want to ride one again. I have my 20 year Guerciotti hanging in my garage. I even have a box of Campy C-Record parts to put on it but I never get around to it because I know I'd only ride it a couple of times for kicks and then I'd want to get back on my 17 pound Litespeed. I think if I put a 10 speed grouppo on the Guerciotti I would ride it.
turboman808
I like older bikes. They are much prettier. Seriously though a light weight modern bike is not that much faster unless you are going up hill and even then it's only like 10 extra pounds.

I commuted to work once on my cervelo P3. On the way home I had a serious tail wind and was hammering at around 45mph. OH what a scary ride. I said to myself "I will do this once and if I survive I will never be doing this again." aktion035.gif

I worked weekends last year and left the house just as the Long Island group rides would start. I would catch them wearing dress shoes and a back pack on a old beatup steel bike and procede to run them into the ground. Little did they know I raced cat2 and finish in the top 10 of most triathlons I race in. Oh man they looked so upset.

Oh I once caught them on a steep incline with a big gulp in my hand and left them all on the hill. I swear I heard someone say "oh jeez"
grantsfo
QUOTE(anthony @ Nov 10 2006, 04:42 PM) *

I don't get the vintage thing. I like to look at them but I don't want to ride one again. I have my 20 year Guerciotti hanging in my garage. I even have a box of Campy C-Record parts to put on it but I never get around to it because I know I'd only ride it a couple of times for kicks and then I'd want to get back on my 17 pound Litespeed. I think if I put a 10 speed grouppo on the Guerciotti I would ride it.

Me either? I have my 25 year old Colnago with full campy grouppo collecting dust. No desire to ride that thing, but its sure pretty to look at. The bike I wish I had hung onto was my old orange Ron Cooper Crit bike. It was cool for a 70's era frame design. Also wish I had hung onto my custom made Track bike. It was a very fun ride.

My sister was involved with Ralph Lauren Pro Team and was was riding Lite Speed when she visited me . Those are cool bikes!

Now for me it is a full suspension K2 mountain bike which doesnt weigh much more than my old road bikes!

pete-stevers
well to make a long story short....i bumped into a freind that owns the local bike store in mission...a great guy, i was employed by him when i was racing(roadbike)...
i told him of my planned project....he told me to pop into the shop
he has boxes of campy stuff...sitting...a 170 track crank caught my eyes....
then in the back corner collecting dust..........
how much says i ....
i say dun like dinner
Always Looking
NIce looking bike, I used to work in a bike shop until i figured out that there was no money in it. Now I daydream about working in the bike shop. Anyway....

Where's the rake in that fork?

Dan beerchug.gif

MrKona
QUOTE(Demick @ Nov 10 2006, 03:55 PM) *

I don't get the single speed thing. Do you only ride on a velodrome? Or are there just no hills where you live?

This bike is just my "ride around the neighborhood" bike. I have a road bike with 10 speed Campy for real rides, although I haven't been on the road in a while, I value my life too much these days.

I love my singlespeed mountain bike. Quiet and simple, no chain slapping. Teaches you to milk momentum out of each turn, builds strength, develops spin. It lets you get back to basics, forget all technology and feel like you once did as a kid on your BMX bike. Hills on a singlespeed are fine, you just crank up them, and use all the momentum you can get.

pete-stevers
the single is perfect for long spins on the flats....the legs have to keep turning
i can put on fat clinchers on for spinning out in the country....gears low enough to get up the hills....but this one primarily is for the velodrome....and one day soon...i will ride on one again....
turboman808
I live right near Kissena Blvd Velodrome. I pass it every day on my morning run. I only raced there once. Scared the daylights out of me. I did pretty good though. I don't understand all the races but that was ok. Riding to broken bone ratio seems rather high.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.