Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CW cheaters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
CW. I hated that term for a bunch of months, but grew to accept it & like it. Don't guess the conversion guys would feel fuzzy with the term "Nonorgs" either. (i'm sure I'll get heat here, but by now you all should know that I'm opinionated).

Point here is - I cheat! I run my 914 with the wheels & tires I love on the street. I change my foglight grills to my "beater" grills on the street. I run non-original hubcaps on the street (crests). Everything else is flat original.

When i'm going to a concours, all these things are replaced with proper original parts. At least, these days.

Look at the first pic here. It's one I took at a Parade concours. decided to NOT carry the spare parts for concours, so I could compete properly in the auto-x. Didn't work! Place 3rd in this concours (lowest ever) & 7th in the auto-x. Lesson learned. I lost enough points from the wheels & tires to have won the class by 4 points if I hadn't done it. Stupid!. Will never do it again.

But, still, I like my 914 to look different on the street. So, I keep my chromies & A008's ready for street duty. The steelies & 28 year old Pirellis are strictly for high-level concours.

So, am I cheater? Should I bow my head in shame?

Your opinion matters, though not much.

Eric_Shea
Nice pic CeeDub... w00t.gif
RogerYellow914
If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'!

I've got no problem with what you're doing.

-Roger
MoveQik
Wow....I'm not sure how you sleep at night. biggrin.gif
914runnow
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 9 2006, 07:47 PM) *

CW. I hated that term for a bunch of months, but grew to accept it & like it. Don't guess the conversion guys would feel fuzzy with the term "Nonorgs" either. (i'm sure I'll get heat here, but by now you all should know that I'm opinionated).

Point here is - I cheat! I run my 914 with the wheels & tires I love on the street. I change my foglight grills to my "beater" grills on the street. I run non-original hubcaps on the street (crests). Everything else is flat original.

When i'm going to a concours, all these things are replaced with proper original parts. At least, these days.

Look at the first pic here. It's one I took at a Parade concours. decided to NOT carry the spare parts for concours, so I could compete properly in the auto-x. Didn't work! Place 3rd in this concours (lowest ever) & 7th in the auto-x. Lesson learned. I lost enough points from the wheels & tires to have won the class by 4 points if I hadn't done it. Stupid!. Will never do it again.

But, still, I like my 914 to look different on the street. So, I keep my chromies & A008's ready for street duty. The steelies & 28 year old Pirellis are strictly for high-level concours.

So, am I cheater? Should I bow my head in shame?

Your opinion matters, though not much.

Hi Yah Pat....Uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!
Not Really beerchug.gif
Do like I am doing...Just build another 914 to drive..
BUT I DO agree.gif re the parts switching..
These damn parts are Going Unobtainium Quick/ or
pricing themselves into 356 status OR MORE $$$$$!!
Thumbz up to yah.......
type47fan
Pat,

Why obsess confused24.gif ? What is your alternative? Have two cars? One for the street, outfitted and customized to your suit your vision of what your personal ride should be. One for concours competition that lives in a garage until it is transported in its environmentally controlled trailer to be examined and probed by white gloved strangers.

Relax. You are to be commended beerchug.gif for making the most of what you have. You obviously enjoy both diversions and are somehow making it work, for you.

So, just do what you must do to have it both ways. As long as you have the energy and motivation, don't compromise either position. Wear your bling on the street and change into wingtips for the white glovers. . . .

Enjoy,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.