Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Standard 914 seats for racing ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amallagh
Hi, I just bought a 914 in the US and plan to export it to the UK. The car will be a road gong car but will also be used for some sprinting, road rallies and be fitted with a simple cage.

What I would like some advice on is seats. The car has an excellent set of std 914 seats. I had assumed I would need to change these for higher sided period sports seats for the side support but I have seen some pictures on the web recently of cars with standard seats with harnesses.

Before I go and spend a lot of money on some new period style high sided sport seats what I want to know is, is it practical to use standard seats with harnesses for racing or do they just not give sufficient side support ?

Thanks for you advice.
Andrew
VegasRacer
First off smilie_flagge24.gif Welcome to the club.

There are a lot of options regarding racing seats: The cheapest way is to simply remove the cushion from your stock seat. This will get your bootyshake.gif low enough so your hips will have little support on the sides. You can also put a slot in the stock cushion to run the sub-strap. (if you don't mind cutting yours) Some guys have gutted the stock seat shells and built up bolsters and then had 'em reupholstered. Do a search - you should be able to find some good 'how to' threads.

I don't really care for the modern racing seats in a 914 unless it is a pure track car. Period correct Scheel, Konig and other brands pop up from time to time in the classifieds. There are also some modern retro seats on the market that look good in a teener. My choice was the LeMans from GTS. They even bolt on to the stock rails.

What is your budget?
Comfort is also important if you take any long trips.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rjames
Apologies for a semi hijackong of the thread, but will boxter seats fit in our cars?
amallagh
Thanks John,
likewise I would like to keep a period style sports seat like the LeMans or the Koenig both of which I have considered. Looks like the spec of car I'm building is very similar interior wise to yours.
Unfortunately I had committed to buy a set of Koenigs on this site several weeks ago, but after several confirmatory emails the guy just went AWOL and hasn't replied to any of my messages for several weeks now. I had also passed by on another opportunity because I thought I had the Koenigs secured so I've lost out twice and now I'm back looking. I've only got a week or so left to find something second hand because my car will be containerised and they need to meet up for shipping back to the UK. Shipping at a later date is totally costs prohibitive. If I can't find anything else then I would probably go for the LeMans seat like yours from CAMP914.

I was just wondering if I could get away with saving $1000 (could do with that for other items !)and using the std seats as mine are in such good condition. Don't fancy not having a cushion at all as I do some long distance road rallies but was looking for anyone who had tried to use the std seats for racing with harnesses. I've never had a 914 before so really don't know what they are like to drive and of course my car is still in the US so I can't test it out for myself before its shipped.
Have you actually tried the std seats with harnesses for any competition work ?
Anyone else out there who has ?

Where did you get your cage ? How much$ ? Is it bolt in ? Are the door bars removeable ?
Regards
Andrew

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Nov 10 2006, 10:02 AM) *

First off smilie_flagge24.gif Welcome to the club.

There are a lot of options regarding racing seats: The cheapest way is to simply remove the cushion from your stock seat. This will get your bootyshake.gif low enough so your hips will have little support on the sides. You can also put a slot in the stock cushion to run the sub-strap. (if you don't mind cutting yours) Some guys have gutted the stock seat shells and built up bolsters and then had 'em reupholstered. Do a search - you should be able to find some good 'how to' threads.

I don't really care for the modern racing seats in a 914 unless it is a pure track car. Period correct Scheel, Konig and other brands pop up from time to time in the classifieds. There are also some modern retro seats on the market that look good in a teener. My choice was the LeMans from GTS. They even bolt on to the stock rails.

What is your budget?
Comfort is also important if you take any long trips.

yarin
Corbeau Forzas are the low cost favorites around here. You would need to fab a mounting bracket for them. Cost about $220 US new each. They are properly slotted for 5 pt harnesses.

Not terrible for long drives either. It all depends on your height. These seats have a removeable seat cushion thats about 2" thick. Lower back support could be a little better, they sell supports though.

I've got an Autopower bolt in cage welded to the rear points as well.
Jeroen
you can modify the seat cusion and run a 5 or 6 point harness, but stock 914 seats will give you very little to no side support

I like the 'period' look on seat like John has, but I don't like the way the lapbelts go OVER the side bolsters (and not through)
(sorry John, just MHO wink.gif)

if you're gonna do any serious rallye/racing, get some proper FIA approved, full f/g shell seats (personally, I'd stay away from flimsy cheap ass t-frame seats like the Corbeau Forza - even if they are FIA approved)

not sure what kind of racing/rallye you are planning on, but check before you buy, cause chances are that FIA approved seats are mandated

for a bolt in cage, get one from Safety Devices.
Should be real easy for you to get one in the UK

just my € 0.02
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Nov 10 2006, 05:23 PM) *
I like the 'period' look on seat like John has, but I don't like the way the lapbelts go OVER the side bolsters (and not through)
(sorry John, just MHO wink.gif)

No problemo good bubby. biggrin.gif

The price will prolly keep more people away from GTS than anything else. wink.gif
I wasn't even looking for a seat when I bought this.
I sat in a LeMans and my bootyshake.gif was in heaven. I had to have one!

My choice was based more on comfort than on speed. I do get some movement on the track because of the higher lap restraints and not having sloted side supports. However, these seats are perfect for a 2 week cruise up the coast to the WCC, or a few extra days getting home from the RRC, or a long weekend for the R66C, or a 24 hour turn-around for a Team NARP BBQ, or .....or ......... MDB2.gif
If I spent more time on the track I would have different seats.

Andrew - How are you going to use your car? (realisticaly)
What % track use? Spirited rally? City traffic? Any 14 hour days?
Anything you get will be a compromise. (cost, comfort, support, looks)

Trekkor
Modifying a stock seat

this may be of help to you. idea.gif

My $100ish seat has been perfect for me.
No problems.

KT
campbellcj
I'm with Jeroen. Driver comfort and looks are important, of course, but the seats are a crucial part of your safety equipment. If you plan a lot of track driving, it is worth investing in some FIA seats that will allow your harnesses and rollcage to do their jobs and keep you safe.
amallagh
Thanks for the inputs.
Sounds like using std seats doesn't give any real side support even with harnesses fitted. So it's either go for the LeMans/Koenig period style sports seats at significant expense or get some FIA approved race seats.

Problem is this car will be used for long distance navigation road rallies across Europe where I want to keep the period features as well as some sprinting/tests and the odd trackday. So everything is a compromise. I want to keep the car looking as period as possible - carpets, back pad, etc. whilst not compromising too much on the race safety and performance aspects.

Benefit of the LeMans/Koenig seats is they fit neatly into the sculptured back pad and keep the period look. (I need to have the seats right back against the back pad because of my height)

Can anyone recommend any proper FIA approved race seats (with side holes and cushion hole) in black that have a slightly more period look and also any that fit neatly into the back pad cut out ?

Also I need to find a way of mounting the shoulder straps of the harnesses. Where is the cheapest place to find a decent harness bar mounting ?
I've seen some GT style loop brackets that bolt through the firewall but I'm not sure I can use these if I keep the back pad. Anybody tried this or have any recommendations ?
Aaron Cox
i got a pair of scheels in my ride now...

fit the backpad, and have some big side bolsters. i didnt think i would fit nor be comfortable.. and now im STOKED!!!

they kind of lay you back a little (more headroom for me) but that makes long leg people (myself) require a smaller steering wheel... (already have one)...

basically they are UBER comfortable (take your wallet out LOL) and bill grimstead and i zipped all over moab UT at the red rock classic with them. 5 points and all.....

i can snap a pic later if needed.

AA
VegasRacer
GTS makes several other seats including the Rallye ST

IPB Image

It has the side holes for your belts, it's very comfortable and top quality.
I don't know about back pad fitment?

Bolting through the firewall is the only proper way to anchor your shoulder straps.
*(unless you have a cross bar of the cage behind the seat to attach them to.)
The angle from a harness bar is to high. They need to be mounted below your shoulders.
Once again - Check The Rules of the groups you plan to run with. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.