Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Knock Out the Lock Out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GBallantine
Suggestions on how to remove the anti theft lock mechanism when the key is removed from the lock. What's the easiest way to go about it? Please no hammers.

GB
TravisNeff
You need a key to get the lock mechanism to be removed. Under the dash remove the wiring plug from the back of the ignition switch. take off steering wheel, there is a small plate to the left of the lock that is screwed down, remove the plate and then insert a key, turn and voila it comes right out.
GBallantine
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Nov 10 2006, 07:47 AM) *

You need a key to get the lock mechanism to be removed. Under the dash remove the wiring plug from the back of the ignition switch. take off steering wheel, there is a small plate to the left of the lock that is screwed down, remove the plate and then insert a key, turn and voila it comes right out.

Sounds simple enough. Is this a special factory key? Or can it be drilled out?

Thanks GB
SirAndy
QUOTE(GBallantine @ Nov 10 2006, 09:06 AM) *

Sounds simple enough. Is this a special factory key? Or can it be drilled out?

the lock will come out without using the key ...
one the steering wheel is off and the turn signal parts are off, there's a tab you need to press in and the lock will slide out ...
smile.gif Andy
Jeroen
I think we have a little confusion here
GB is asking how to disable the automatic lock mechnism on the steering column, not how to remove the ingnition switch/lock
william harris
But that is the same thing! One must remove the ignition switch, certainly removes easier using the key, to disable the steering column lock - the column lock is engaged by a tab that comes out from the ignition switch, when the key is turned the tab is recessed into the switch and the entire switch can be pulled out of the column. confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Nov 10 2006, 10:46 AM) *

I think we have a little confusion here
GB is asking how to disable the automatic lock mechnism on the steering column, not how to remove the ingnition switch/lock

but, you need to remove the lock in order to get to the mechanism in order to remove it ...
smile.gif Andy

EDIT: damm, Mr. Harris beat me to it ... biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
Once the lock is removed, you can try to remove the plunger or epoxy it in place.
Jeroen
ok... I guess the confusion was on my side only laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Nov 10 2006, 11:10 AM) *

Once the lock is removed, you can try to remove the plunger or epoxy it in place.

i actually had an early column where the welded on tabs on the shaft were removed by the PO. the lock still had the "tab", but it had nothing to hook into, thus no column locking ...
smile.gif Andy
william harris
Sir Andy, it is a pleasure to be in your company. Got about 2,000 miles on the teener since I put her on the road. Really improved the handling by changing the Pirelli passenger car tires (185x65x15) to Kuhmos (195x50x15), now she goes like a go cart on Meth. clap56.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.