Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: accel. cable wont fit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmenche914

removed my accelerator cable, as it was binding, it was the stock style. had to cut off the peddle end, as it was not pulling thru the fire wall. Got it all out,a nd bought a nice aftermarket terry cable brand.

Tried to feed teh new cable in view the firewall, adn it only wne tabout one foot in, then stopped. We were able to run a coathanger wire clear thru with no blocakage. yet the cable will not fit, jams up about one foot from firewall. tried to push teh cable thru with coathanger wire, no go, just wedges in there at same lenght. the opposite cable end (the one too throotle body) is slightly smaller diameter thant eh peddle end (one with threads) it does pass thru ok.

via the rear inspection port (under the tray between the seats, near teh fire wall) we can see with a mirror the accel. cable tube,a dn feel it. no dents, or other damage is seen at teh one foot location where things jam. the floor is not dented either.

so whats the scoop? anyone experience this before? the peddle end of the cable won't pass thru the tube. it is too big. this also explains why we had to cut the end off teh old cable to remove it.

I guess teh fit woudl be cut teh end off, pass the cable thru, then re-attach it.

I hope soemone has a better idea. We really expected to find a dented or damaged tube, but it appears fine from what we can see. the peddle threaded in is just a tad too big, as teh smoote engien side end is just a tad smaller,a dn passes fine.

suggestions? comments? after a three year wait, we want to get this car going again, so close but yet so far. ready to fire up except for this.

please advise
Thanks
Cap'n Krusty
Personally, I find the stock cable to be long lasting and well suited to the application. Terry Cables seem a bit "clunky" to me. Nevertheless, you may have one of 2 problems, maybe both. You may have to reduce the size of the "wings" on the swaging. Just touch them up with a grinder. The second thing could be an obstruction on the tube, such as a weld protruding into the tube, or a bit of the old plastic/teflon/whateveritis sleeve that comes on the OE cables. If that's the case, you have a tedious job ahead of you. My money's on the swaging being too big. Good luck! The Cap'n
dmenche914
We got it!!!! the swaging was the first thing, however it was not oversized, we ground it down anyway, no luck. then noticed that the peddle end was about 1/8 inch longer than the old one (old one was proabably jamed on removal from the broken up plastic sleave)

cut the end of the new terry cable threaded section about 1/4 inch shorter (removed some threads). now it fits!!!

must be a bend int eh tubing prevented teh longer threaded end from making it around the bend. 1/4 inch removed, adn nw it slided thru with no probelm!!!

it is still long enough to reach the throotle body, to peddle.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.