Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Took the street car to the Willow...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mugs914
After years of having daily drivers that had roll cages, no carpet, five points, race seats, fire bottles, etc., I decided that this car was going to stay a street car. Well, I gave in just a little.

I put in a set of five points and a fire bottle that was laying around the shop and took it up to the Streets of Willow for a PCA DE. It has BFG g-Force sports (225 50-15) so I wasn't expecting any great lap times (they weren't timing anyway), but I knew it would be fun no matter what. I was interested to see how it was going to handle at the limit since I haven't even autocrossed the thing yet.

Turns out it pushes a bit. dry.gif I had two students (Both with Caymen Ss cool.gif ) and I didn't have time to make any adjustments so I just hammered out laps and had fun!

Of course now I've got to get a set of Kumhos or Hoosiers or something for it and start taking it to the odd DE or time trial. Might add a rear anti-roll bar, but that's about it...

It's a street car, remember... biggrin.gif

A few pics...
Mugs914
Couple of pics on track. driving.gif

Look at that understeer!
Mugs914
Did a couple of laps in the Caymen... wub.gif

I love this first pic! My student, Bob Joy, looks just a bit pensive...

"Be careful with my car, man..." "Not to worry, kid..."

Last pic is me and a couple of my students. I'm in the middle with no hat (paid for that later...). Thats a track map on my shirt, in case I get lost... tongue.gif tongue.gif
Tobra
I really like those caymans
gregrobbins
Mugs, glad to see your back to your track ways. Three questions:

1. How is the track car project coming along?

2. Can you tell us more about how the Cayman drove?

3. When are we going to see you in Arizona again? Since you have a "street" car, please join us December 10 for the Toys for Tots run is your schedule permits. Got a bed for you, remember?
crash914
can you share what bumbers and spoiler you are running?

I do like the painted look and room for the oil cooler...
hmeeder
Mike; I knew you'd give in eventually. Street car my ass.

If it were truly just a street car, you would have painted the bumpers to match the rest of the car. cool_shades.gif

I love SOW for our cars, tho I prefer clockwise. (the run down from the bowl is a buttload more fun when gravity is on your side!)
Howard
Stolen from the Ferrari boys site, but you can really knock yourself out in December..

Speed Trial USA
December 2 and 3
Streets of Willow Track
Price: $120 one day, $200 both days
http://www.speedtrialusa.com/index1.html

Speed Ventures
December 8-9-10
Streets of Willow Track
Price: $140 friday only, $160 saturday only, $140 sunday, $260 two days, $360 three days
Instruction:+ $30 per day (required for first-time drivers)
Duration: 3 days, 6+ hours of track time per group!**
http://www.speedventures.net/12-8-2006_event.asp

NOTE: the below club also holds races during the weekend so it is not clear how much track time you get if you're just there to run laps.

Touring Car Club
Willow Springs Big Track
December 9th, 10th.
Price: $130 per day

http://www.touringcarclub.com/events...Dec-2006.shtml

TCRA Open Track Run Group Details
$130 all inclusive, full race day – we provide for you free on track tech inspection, no late fee’s even if you sign up on the day of the event and best of all you only need a helmet and long pants to race. The rest is taken care of by TCRA’s welcome staff. If you have what it takes to bring your car to test drive at one of Southern California’s fastest tracks then we would like to see you join us for our best open group event of the year.

No license or prior school is required; our arrive and drive open group will give you a chance to drive at speed. TCRA will have race instructors available to answer any of your questions if you need them. Our goal for this open group is to allow racers of all types and experiences to enjoy a safe and fun event without the hassles of strict rule requirements and licensing requirements.

Rules: No license requirements, no shorts, no late fees - M rated motorcycle helmets are OK, though SA2005 rated helmets are strongly recommended*. Ride alongs available with approved instructors only.

Note that although the rules for the Open Track group are more relaxed compared to those of our regular Time Trial and Race groups, the following will be strictly enforced in order to ensure the safety of our participants:
1 Convertibles without proper rollover protection will not be allowed to run. Roll hoops (either factory or aftermarket) are OK, roll bar or roll cage highly recommended.
2 Overtaking allowed in designated passing zones only (details will be discussed during the drivers meeting). No passing under braking and no passing in turns -- this is not a race!
andys
I was there Saturday; well sort of.

I arrived at 8:00am expecting my friend Terry to be there with his 500HP 383"SBC 914 (blue with big ass wing). He had car problems on the way, so I went over to the big track to look over the VAVRA event. There were two 914's there, as well as all sorts of vintage stuff; mostly from the '70's & '80's. Stayed there most of the morning.

I didn't walk the pits; otherwise I would have seen you there. Terry didn't arrive until about 11:00am. I chatted with him a bit then left, as I had another appointment later that day. I was hoping to get a 1/2 day of testing to help set up his car. He runs in the advanced group; did you see him? If not, then perhaps you HEARD his car........He put on some 180 headers. Boy, did that ever change the way the car sounds!

Andys
BMXerror
Hey Mugs. How did you get 225s under there. It doesn't look like you're flared out at all. Is the rear just rolled? Are those on 7 or 8 inch rims? Just asking because I should be adding some HP soon, and I'll need some more tire. 225s should do it. Thanks.
Mark D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.