Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauge lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nein14
Has anyone tried to increase the watts on the gauge bulbs? Or changed to the halogen bulbs
Qarl
Search the archives... nothing is available unless you want to have one of the gauge places conver to LED for $150 a gauge!
Hi_Fi_Guy
I can't believe there isn't a simple pop-in LED bulb conversion like there is for Motorcycle and trailer tail-lights. Is it that difficult to make an LED with a bulb holder that fits the old style?
Qarl
The problem is the uncommon base.. the Ba7s.

Also, the gauge lights work of the headlight switch which acts as a dimmer (rheostat).

LED lights cannot handle the fluctuation in voltage and therefore would not work properly.

LED lighs are also highly directional and the gauge backlighting works of the principle of light diffusion. What you end up with is gauges with really bright spots around the edges instead of uniform lighting.

Ideally, it would be nice to find a Ba7s bulb with a different gas (xenon, halogen, etc.) that maybe puts out a whiter light or higher wattage. You could also run into heat issues with halogen!

Finally, you may also run into problems with overloading the wiring with too much wattage!

These are just some of the issues.
fiid
I have seen led bulbs that might work for turn signals and stuff, but not for the guages, and from what Carl.... err Karl says it wouldn't work anyway. Which is a great shame - I would love to go all LED.

Has anyone tried using LED trun signal bulbs?

Fiid.
SirAndy
whatever you do, don't replace the alternator light bulb wink.gif

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.