Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil temp and pressure gauge wiring question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike373

Where is the best place to tap gauge power from, and where do you tap the illumination power from?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Krieger
I wired my new fuel gauge in place of my cigarette lighter.
blabla914
I don't want to sound like a smart ass, but it depends on where you are putting the gauge.

The cig lighter is a good source in the dash.

You can tap of any gauge in the cluster itself.

Kelly
dmenche914
for teh gage lights, take it off the instrument lights, that way they will light witht eh headlamp control and be able to dim/brighten with the stock gages.

for gage power, you want a good solid 12 v. source, pick one of the circuits that are on with ignition of the fuse block. i assume you have a wire diagram, if not, let us know and we can look up the fuse to tap. some of the fuses have an extra male press-on connection on teh back, graet for this purpuse.

you will need to drop teh fuse block, two screws to drop it, but besure to disocnnect the battery BEFORE YOU DO THIS. it is all too easy to bump the fuse block on the metal dash part, and zap flash pop you fry a wire.

it is important to use fairly robust wire for the gages, you don't want voltage drops interfering with the reading on teh gages. besure you use gromments around wires that pass thru metal holes, and it is always nice to add protective sleaving to prevent chaffing from vibtrations, watch for sharp corners.

let us know if you need help with the wire diagram
mike373
Im mounting the gauge under the dash, and center. How'bout the illumination circuit? Where do you tap that from?
dmenche914

as i mentioned above, you want ot go off the other gage lights to have the light on with headlamps,adn be dimmable.

the headlight switch has the dimmer built in, the connection on teh switch is number 58, it is a black/ Blue wire. this wwire goes to all the instrument lights. find a convienent instrument light bulb socket, with black.blue wire going to it,a dn splice into that wire to your light on your new gage. the lights wont work unless you ground your new gage, so pick a ground point, on the metal dash, or make your own. you will now have dimable lights, that operate like the rest, off your headlight switch!

I believe fuse #8 is hot only with ignigion on (or acessory on), that is a good choice for the gage power,(not lights, but the power) however you might see some gage reading change (slight) with teh turn /stop lights(usually fluctuates liek a needle width when you step ont eh brakes, cause of voltage drop). at least it will be fused if you pick it off the correct side of the fuse that is!

Use #8 for main gage power, and the black / blue wire to the other bulbs for you light,a nd you should be all set.

an oil pressure gage is probably the wisest thing to add to any 914!!! smart move man, smart move!!!
Elliot_Cannon
If the center consol was an option for your year car, the wiring for the gauges should already be there including wiring for gauge illumination. The wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual were really helpful to find which wire to which gauge. I found all the wires in the wire bundle between the seats. I just had to route them to the gauges and hook them up. My car is a 73 and all the wires were there.
Cheers, Elliot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.