Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you clean wheel bearings?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jd66921
I'm trying too correct a vibration in my car. One thought has been front wheel
bearings. I thought I'd pull them and repack them.

So, how do you clean the wheel bearings? I can wipe out the area pretty well, but
how about the bearings themselves? I'd sorta like to remove as much grease as I
can, and then add more fresh grease.

Thanks,

Jeff

messix
front bearings are so cheap just replace them.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(jd66921 @ Nov 11 2006, 05:01 PM) *

I'm trying too correct a vibration in my car. One thought has been front wheel
bearings. I thought I'd pull them and repack them.

So, how do you clean the wheel bearings? I can wipe out the area pretty well, but
how about the bearings themselves? I'd sorta like to remove as much grease as I
can, and then add more fresh grease.

Thanks,

Jeff

Well...I guess you could dunk them in solvent and use a Swepco bearing grease...but they are cheap and "I" would replace them.....
Matt Romanowski
brake clean.
dmenche914

Paint thinner works great.

This is important, you do not want to mix grease!!! some greases are not compatable with each other, they will break each other down, and stop lubricating as they should, then your parts will be ruined.

you want to remove all traces of old grease to assure you have only one type of grease in the bearing. besure to clean out the rotor also. Use high temp disc brake wheel bearing grease.

i would wipe thenm dry with disposable paper towels, then clean them in a can of solvent (paint thinner works nice, and is cheap) use an old paint brush to work ALL traces of grease out. Then a final clean in cleaner paint thinner (dumpt he dirty thinner, adn do a last clean with clear thinner) a spray can of brake cleaner can also be used for teh final rinse, but it costs more.

Wear rubber gloves, and glasses. the solvents penatrate the skin,a nd actually get inside you, not good!!!

use same method to clean teh rotor, and spray/wipe the hub race also.

if the bearing races and rollers are still nice and shinny with no pits, you should re-use them. with they are a little dull, but no pits, you can re-use them also.

any pits in the surface means you really ought to replace them,

they are relativly cheap, however you need to punch out eh races, and pull a race off off the stub axle, can be a real pain without the right tools/technique,thsu i only replace them if they need it.

repack them every couple years for longer life.

the real key to long life is setting up teh endplay when you install the clena bearings. you got to adjsut the nut, not too tight, not too loose., you should just be able to slide teh thrust washer with a screw driver when the end play is correct.

also inspect teh grease seal, if it is showing signs of wear, replace it. you usually cannot remove them without destroying them.

use a rolled up towel, or Q-tip to clean the groove out ont he inside of the seal of grease.

make sure every thing is clean before install.

to force the new grease intot eh bearing, with minimal mess, put the bearing in a clean plastic bag with new grease,a dn work the grease in with your fingers, turnign the beearing. also wipe the races with a layer of grease,a dn fil up some of the void int eh rotor with grease (no need to pack it full)

have fun!!!!

PS recheck the end play once tire is installed, with wheel off ground there should be only the very slightest wiggle, and I mean slightest, you don't want zero wiggle, but you don't want anymore than slightest. whitht eh wheel installed, you get teh best leverage to test it.

PRS914-6
If you have a heated high pressure washer, it works great. I stick a piece of pipe or shafting through the center of the bearing on a rubber mat so it can't go flying away.. This method will remove everything squeeky clean. I agree with the others though. They are so cheap, why bother if it's apart.

If you decide to reuse them, after they are clean, set them on a white piece of paper. If they are discolored it will stand out like a sore thumb.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.