Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Passed inspection!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LowGT
Well I spent the last year working on this car and today I drove it to the inspection station. After 30min of anxious waiting, mainly because I didn't think they could drive it right, it passed! It'll be the first time the car was registered in 7 years. smilie_pokal.gif

Anyway, I put about 30 miles on it today. Everything was fine but there was a clunk/pop noise that started out faint, and now is pretty loud. I checked the wheel lugs and CV bolts, they're fine. It makes the noise when you begin foward motion, and make it again if you let of the gas. To me it sounds like a bad CV. What do you guys think?

Dan
GWN7
Quite possibly the CV....did you check the outer CV bolts too?

Oh.... congrats on the drive smile.gif
Spoke
Check CV play by lifting a wheel and hold the inner carrier coming out of the tranny with one hand and move the wheel back and forth with the other. If there is substancial play, it could be CV time. Holding the inner carrier will eliminate play inside the tranny if in gear. Do this with the E-brake off of course. Maybe someone else has a better way to check CVs.

Spoke
LowGT
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Nov 12 2006, 02:11 AM) *

...did you check the outer CV bolts too?

No, I didn't even think about that. I'll be sure to check it in the morning.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(LowGT @ Nov 11 2006, 11:27 PM) *
it passed! It'll be the first time the car was registered in 7 years. smilie_pokal.gif

Congrats. driving.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Grelber
Dan: Congrats on the inspection. It "only" took me 5 tries to get mine to pass (up here in McKinney). FYI: You don't have to let them drive it. They can do a "ride along", and just tell you to hit the brakes, etc.

LowGT
Here she is, it's a proud feeling after a years worth of work. She's a bit rough cosmetically, but the longs and floor pans are rust free. The battery try is still there, but with a lot of surface rust and some pin holes. I'll need to take care of that for sure.

JohnM
Double check axle bolts tight (big castle nut)- simple but sometimes overlooked. John
Allan
QUOTE(LowGT @ Nov 12 2006, 02:28 PM) *

Here she is, it's a proud feeling after a years worth of work. She's a bit rough cosmetically, but the longs and floor pans are rust free. The battery try is still there, but with a lot of surface rust and some pin holes. I'll need to take care of that for sure.

Damn!!!!

That's a really nice car.
Bryho
Congrats!

I too passed Friday morning. Finally
Then I went to get it registered and some plates and doooh! I forgot it was Veterans day and that the of the County Offices were closed.
Next Friday I should be in business...
Bryho
By the way, nice ride
tesserra
Trans mounts? On and off the gas loads and unloads the mounts.
Easy to check, easy to replace.

George
LowGT
QUOTE(tesserra @ Nov 13 2006, 01:13 AM) *

Trans mounts? On and off the gas loads and unloads the mounts.
Easy to check, easy to replace.

George

The mounts are present, but dry and cracked. They need to be replaced. However, while inspecting the mounts I noticed the rear swaybar is pretty tore up from banging against the backside of the trans mounts. I *think* this is where the noise is coming from.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.