Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - anyone own or have owned a early 70's Vette?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
The wife loves new body styled Corvettes. I would really like to get her a 2007 model, but $50K is out of our price range. So today I was looking our local auto trader mag and seen a lot of early to mid 70's Vettes in the $5K - $8K range. I made the passing comment about them and she said that those body styles were "so cool" so it got me thinking idea.gif

I don't know jack about Corvettes. Any tips or clues what to watch out for on the 70 - 78 Corvettes? Now remember it doesn't matter to her if it is number matching show car, it would be her drive to work a few days a week car. So I would be looking for a hard top or T top, automatic and Red Vette in the under $7500 price range.

Going to do a google search next, but I thought I would ask the 914 gods since we seem to know everytihng here biggrin.gif

Thanks beerchug.gif
smontanaro
Garold,

I don't know doodley squat about Vette's either, but I just want to warn you... If you make the rest of us look bad there will be hell to pay!!! If Ellen finds out I'll probably have to buy her a MB 230SL or sumthin'...

Skip
Ferg
I grew up in a "vette" family...

In your area, you need to be concerned about rust, yes they are glass, but not underneath, i've seen some with complete frame rot. (I grew up in MI), so don't buy one without getting underneath first. Specifically around the rear suspension.

For your price range 68-73 is out, unless you found a deal of the century.

so that leaves 74-82. I "think" all those years were available with T Top but not to sure. They are not the fastest cars (emissions controls) but simple to work on easy parts ect.

Like anything, you are gonna have to shop quite a bit to find a decent one, but they are nice cars, just crusiers.

Ferg

ConeDodger
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Nov 12 2006, 07:59 AM) *

The wife loves new body styled Corvettes. I would really like to get her a 2007 model, but $50K is out of our price range. So today I was looking our local auto trader mag and seen a lot of early to mid 70's Vettes in the $5K - $8K range. I made the passing comment about them and she said that those body styles were "so cool" so it got me thinking idea.gif

I don't know jack about Corvettes. Any tips or clues what to watch out for on the 70 - 78 Corvettes? Now remember it doesn't matter to her if it is number matching show car, it would be her drive to work a few days a week car. So I would be looking for a hard top or T top, automatic and Red Vette in the under $7500 price range.

Going to do a google search next, but I thought I would ask the 914 gods since we seem to know everytihng here biggrin.gif

Thanks beerchug.gif

I had one. Total image car. Not really much performance wise. Pushes like a pig and had major drop throttle oversteer tendency. V8 power is always impressive. Imagine going up your driveway and hearing the body crack as it is torqued by the twisting... Now having said that I will tell you that I liked the car. Even with all its ill mannered primitive nature it is a fun car to own.

Consider a 911? Boxsters are dirt cheap these days and as long as you get a glass windowed top are pretty much bullet proof.
Bruce Allert
I had an 82 Collector Edition. Like they said above it was a non performance car. It was extremely comfortable for long trips and it did have the power when you wanted but not enough to outrun the ricers. Mine was the heaviest of that body style so it was kind of a lead sled!

The early 70's are approachable in you're price range and they would have more performance. I just saw quite a few 73 thru 78 models on craigslist here in the Oregon area and was surprised that most were under $10K.

I'd love to have a 63 split window & wished I'd have bought the one I looked at insted of the 82 alfred.gif Now I can't touch one for that price.

.......b
cooltimes
Never owned a Vette but:
Link pasted to show example of this regions Corvette prices:

http://memphis.craigslist.org/search/car?query=corvette

http://nashville.craigslist.org/search/car?query=corvette

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/search/car?query=corvette

MikeCool
jwalters
Yes, I have had one. Made numerous upgrades to the suspension which honestly were not pricey at all.

Like others said, look out for frame rot, especially the rear portions and suspension consoles for the swingarms (same problem as our cars)

Also, the body mounts to the frame with rubber donuts and steel hardware. Three things to be aware:

1 - The rubber deteriorates and if never replaced, WILL need it -
2 - the steel hardware becomes cancer ridden making the replacement of donuts a truly cuss-out affair.
3 - the "cups" on the fiberglass body side which capture one donut and the hardware have a real tendency to splinter and crack-up necessitating a good amount of clean-out and fiberglass rebuilding. (this is especially true on the rear consoles, they are accessed through the rear "trunk" area in the extreme corners. Pull the carpeting back to see them ( depending on stereo install the speakers may obscure this) (Note: while you can see them from under the body, many problems are not readily visible due to lighting conditions, by looking through the trunk area, outside light transfers through, enabling you to see every problem)

Immediately upgrade all calipers with steel sleeve units - if not already done within 4 years along with brake flex lines of choice -

Immediately upgrade all suspension bushings with Energy SUS poly's

Plan on a brake vacuum booster unit and master cylinder if not done within 5 years

If your wallet can handle, ditch the steel rear spring and replace with composite upgrade and also the link arms with transverse from the carrier to the swingarms - This mod alone will improve corner agility ten fold!

Bilstein shocks all four are not that expensive.

Everything I mention here will certainly vastly improve handling and braking,

MOST importantly, it will make the car much, much more safe in emergency, wet, inclement conditions.
anthony
The only problem with this plan is that you will have a classic Corvette to maintain in addition to your 914.

You might also consider a low mileage C4 or even C5. They aren't that expensive at all.
jwalters
QUOTE(anthony @ Nov 12 2006, 12:19 PM) *

The only problem with this plan is that you will have a classic Corvette to maintain in addition to your 914.

You might also consider a low mileage C4 or even C5. They aren't that expensive at all.

Yes and No / I just need to point out something.

I have been a professional wrench for some time now, and, it pains me to say, these models were not engineered well, nor put together well. They are always breaking, and seem to wear out very, very fast. Lots of problems with the seats, window motors, emssions, and if anything ignition related breaks (and it will) it is a very expensive a back breaking thing to happen.

Read: NOT used friendly at all - When they came into my old shop I just cringed at the thought of "what now"?

This is one reason they lose so much value so darn quickly - I mean, say 55K car new, and only 5 or so years old, and you can pick them up all day for 10-12K down here ---

Food for thought really
Crazyhippy
Viva the Stingray!!!

1st car i ever drove was a 76...(last year of the stingray)

Much more creature comfort intensive than teeners (tilt, telescopic wheel, pwr windows, decent ac, long distance seats) Not alot of storage space, but fun road trip cars anyways.
boxstr
Go tot eh local book store and rerad on eo f the many Buyers guides to Corvettes. It will give you all of the inside information on what the good and bad for each year was.
You will find out alot more in less time than on this board, or go to a Corvette forum and ask their.
CCLINROUTE66
race914
I had a White 73 convertible L-82 4 speed.

Fun street car. Sounded really good and had a close ratio muncie making it fun going through the gears around town.

Then I went for my first ride in a 914 around Sears Point (Infineon)

I never realized how big the vette was for a two seater, or how heavy it was until the Porsche ride. I have to admit when we went past the braking point for my vette, I had my feet planted on the passenger side floorboard "helping stop the 914". I couldn't believe the braking & cornering performance difference between the two cars.

The next week after my 914 ride, the vette was 4 sale.

The saying is true: Vette is a nice street car you can take onto a track. Porsche is a track car that is street legal.

My brother bought my vette and still has it. Nice car. Value going up. Was fun to own & drive! Miss it sometimes when I see & hear a nice one.... but not enough to buy another one!

My recommendation would be to look for the upgraded engine & suspension options. 73 was fun because it was a transition year. First for the new front bumper and last for the chrome rear bumper and rear 'spoiler'. Convertible made is more unique too.

zymurgist
If you want a convertible, you'll have to look for a '68-'75. All '68-'82s that weren't convertibles have T-tops. '78-82s have a large bubble rear window that is more practical, but IMO not as attractive. '68-'73s have chrome bumpers and are considered more desirable (more $$$). Rust is definitely an issue on Sharks... you need to check the frame and the lower corners of the birdcage around the front windshield (unfortunately the only good way to check this is to pull the dash.)

While it's true that the smog era ('75 on) C3's don't have a lot of power, that problem is easily remedied because performance small bock Chevy engines are available new from GM at a reasonable price (especially if you are used to paying Porsche prices). And if you don't care about having a really heavy front end, you can always go big block, but IMO a big block in a Vette is more for drag racing than for canyon carving. You can also get parts for small blocks at your local NAPA shop, and chances are they'll be in stock.

New parts are plentiful, and many upgrades are available. All brake calipers should be replaced with stainless sleeved O-ring units. All suspension bushings are available in both rubber and poly. A wide variety of springs is availalbe, including lightweight fiberglass rear springs. It's kind of problematic to fit modern rubber in the factory wheel wells (look how wide the C4 tires are - compare an '84 with a '68 and you'll see) but a lot of guys like aftermarket 17" wheels.

One huge difference you will see between Corvettes and 914's is the vast array of replacement and reproduction parts available for the Corvettes. The market is so large, there are multiple vendors making almost any part you can think of. You can even have a complete interior installed while you wait at Carlisle (the biggest and best Corvette show in the world).

I completely rebuilt mine after the engine ate a rod bearing at 99,000 miles. I rebuilt or replaced any item that moves, and now it drives like a brand new car. A brand new '77, that is, but with the suspension upgrades, the car performs much closer to the design envelope than was actually achieved in factory production.

Short list of my upgrades/work:
355 CI, iron Vortec heads, Quadrajet carb
'74 2.5" stainless exhaust
Stainless O-ring calipers, rebuilt MC
550 lb. springs up front, 360 lb. fiberglass TRW spring rear
Factory sway bars, front/rear (original FE7 car)
Koni shock absorbers
Rebuilt/blueprinted steering box
Freshened BW 4-speed transmission
Freshened rear end (I'm spacing on the ratio)
New rubber bushings on control & trailing arms, poly bushings everywhere else
Blueprinted factory shifter
Re-cored original 4-speed radiator (no auto fluid lines)
A whole boatload of parts that were replaced, refurbished, or powder coated

Bottom line: it's an awesome weekend car. Plenty of torque, and with the suspension setup I'm using, very responsive. The only real issue is the rubber since I use factory aluminum wheels. I wouldn't want to drive it daily as it's kind of crude by modern standards, but on a sunny day with the tops off and the rear window out, life is extremely good.
Mr Dick
I had one 1973 it was 454 with a 4 spe piratenanner.gif The motor was built up "a little" we ran true header side pipes with out mufflers happy11.gif I had it to 150 and the front end got lite so I backed out of it. It would do 110 1/4 miles with ease. How I wish I had it today sad.gif 73 was the first year of the soft nose but still had the nice old look back end. It is also the first year you could not take out the back window. Just check out the frame they rust out same place where our cars break in hallf beerchug.gif
GaroldShaffer
Thanks for the response everyone. beerchug.gif

This would be a car for the wife. She doesn't care how fast it goes or how it would handle on a track, it would be her crusing car. The must haves for her, working AC, Automatic trans, non ragtop and must be Red.

I'm not looking to go and buy anything tomorrow, just now starting to research them. I tried to convince her that a nice older Boxster or maybe a early 911 would be better, but she is not a Porsche person. She likes the 914 and going to club events with me, heck she even gave me the OK to get my 71 911 project car, but she loves the lines of the Corvette. She doesn't like the "flat" look of the mid 80's vette as she puts it. The new body style she loves, but again way out of my price range (for now anyway). So the search begins......
spare time toys
You might want to check with Clay. He had one he was driving and fixing for a family member I thought it was for sale but I could be wrong.
andys
I too had a '73 L82. It was to me, a mature man's sports car. Rode like a Caprice, and handled like one as well.

What surprised me most, was how much of a chick magnet it was (remember, we're talking 1973!) in its day. I was 24 or 25 at the time, so that part was very ok with me.

I only kept it a very short time; gas mileage sucked and had a small fuel tank so you were constanly stopping at the gas station, was difficult to work on, and handled like crap. It wasn't the car for me. Today's Japanese family sedan handles way better.

Andys
Quebecer
If it were my money I would rather spend it on an early C4 (very inexpensive these days) rather than a late C3.

There's a world of difference between these generations in all aspects of the car.

C4 are very comfortable, very reliable, easy to work on and dirt cheap these days.

My advice would be buy the newest and best condition car you can find for your budget.

I followed this advice when I bought my 1988 convertible red on red with white top, back in 1995, and it's still sitting pretty in my garage as we speak. It's been to Carlisle, Bowling Green (twice) and many other fun runs and shows and has never been a problem.

In all those years, I only replaced the injectors, mufflers, a clutch bearing, brakes, ignition wires, spark plugs and one set of tires. Not bad for 11 years of ownership.

Welcome to the Corvette ownership world, as you will see we are a great bunch as great and as fanatical as Porsche (914) owners.
Corvette owners always say: "as long as you own a Corvette, any year any condition, you're part of the familly".

Any year you choose, I'm sure you'll be happy as long as you make a well informed choice. Take your time, read a lot, there's a lot of information available out there.

I own both and I feel pretty darn lucky!
fuzzyapple
Hey,
My wife and I currently own a 1976 Stingray with 46K miles. Everything said so far is true. My gut feeling is buy one now and watch the value keep going up. The early sought-after years are out of reach for most people.
Not NEAR as fun, sexy, or exciting as a teener, though.
Good luck!!
Fuzzy
IronHillRestorations
I have seen at least one (76) that had broken welds on the front suspension cross member, and have been told this is a common problem.

My .02 on 'Vettes is they look fast, and can go fast in a straight line, ride is poor on the 70's cars. After fifty years of building the damn thing they finally got them to handle pretty good.

Total image car IMHO. Too many typical GM design flaws compounded by typical GM workmanship.

If you want an affordable sports car, find the newest lowest mileage Boxster you can afford. Mid engined, pretty good trunk space, good heat and a/c, and fun to drive. Not the most powerful on the block, but fun to drive. Don't be afraid of the Tiptronic cars either, it's actually a lot of fun to drive. You probably wouldn't (or shouldn't) purchase a manual shift 'Vette right?
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(9146986 @ Nov 13 2006, 06:09 PM) *

If you want an affordable sports car, find the newest lowest mileage Boxster you can afford. Mid engined, pretty good trunk space, good heat and a/c, and fun to drive. Not the most powerful on the block, but fun to drive. Don't be afraid of the Tiptronic cars either, it's actually a lot of fun to drive. You probably wouldn't (or shouldn't) purchase a manual shift 'Vette right?

I would look for a Boxster, but that is not what SHE wants. So someday, there WILL be a Corvette in the garage, next to my 70 914 & 71 911T. If it makes her happy then I'm happy if you know what I mean. cool_shades.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Nov 12 2006, 09:29 PM) *

You might want to check with Clay. He had one he was driving and fixing for a family member I thought it was for sale but I could be wrong.

I had a fairly nice 74 that I fostered for Betty's sister after she got a divorce. Red, automatic, T-tops and (non working) AC. We named her "Miss Piggy" (as in Plastic Pig).

It sold before last Christmas... a woman bought it as a Christmas Present for her husband.

Click to view attachment

MecGen
Hey

These guys are giving you some solid advice on the "problems" spots. I have worked on a few and did a partial restoration on a a 77. I owned a 76 for a very short tme. A Vette is a Vette is a Vette. I have a soft spot for em.

Have her drive one, see if she likes it. Good choice for a chick's car ... bootyshake.gif

Good luck
Later

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.