Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Hub Castle Nut Removal... ARG! again...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
snflupigus
I cant break the nut free with it on the car because the body is so light if lifts off my cart when i put my breaker extension on. I used a "club" between the lug nuts angled to the ground to keep the assembly from from rotating since the brakes and everything have been removed. I bent the club! I think I'll have to wait to rebuild my rear arms until the rest of the car can be put back together!!

Maybe I'll just find a set that is dismantled and send those off to eric instead. It looks like he does some good work with rebuilding them. better than I could.

aside from that trouble, i guess i should have dismantled the front suspension while it was still on the car too, instead of taking it off as one big assembly. shit.

thats what i get for getting excited and in a hurry to get the car down to a shell...
anthony
I bet you could get it off with an impact gun.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(anthony @ Nov 12 2006, 11:42 AM) *

they are torqued to over 200 lbs....
Mueller
good reason to get an air compressor smash.gif
anthony
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 12 2006, 12:43 PM) *

And your point is? My IR impact gun does 600 foot pounds in reverse.
Mueller
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 12 2006, 11:43 AM) *

I bought an impact gun that is rated to 650ft lbs at Home Depot, works great for a $60 or so tool
Joe Bob
Pull the whole swing arm and put the hub in a LARGE vise.....
Mid_Engine_914
I used an electric impact wrench (450 ft-lbs) to remove my axle nuts but I had to use the wrench on the fast impact setting for about two minutes continuously to do it. Unlike a breaker bar, the impacts from the wrench don’t produce any noticeable torque that would lift your car’s body.
So.Cal.914
One thing that can help is heat. Use a torch and heat them up real good and then use your impact.
bottomend
I've been in a battle with mine for a week and I'm now gonna try taking out the whole arm assembly and deal with it on the work bench.
736conver
agree.gif

Impact gun. If you dont have one and have the arm off take it down to your local mechanic. He should be able to buzz it off.
Joe Bob
20/20.................always break the nut loose with the engine and trans in....even if you don't think ya need to do so.....
LvSteveH
Impacts don't use a lot of air, so you could even buy one of the 5 or 7 gallon portable air tanks, fill it up with a little 12 volt compressor or at a service station to 120psi. The tanks are handy to have around, and impacts can be had for as little as $20. Potentially less than $50 and you'd have the setup around in the future when needed.
bottomend
I used an impact wrench already. No luck. I have a friend who has a preey good set up and it did NOTHING to the nut.

I'm still trying to figure out where I'm supposed to "tap " on the cv joint to get it separated from the stub axel. There is NO ROOM inside the swing arm to tap on the side of the cv. this stuff probably belongs in my CV removal thread but if anyone has a good idea on how to get them out... please tell me!
Allan
See if you can find someone with a torque multiplier. I used one when I pulled the rear hubs and it came loose like Z with the trots...

736conver
QUOTE(bottomend @ Nov 12 2006, 05:00 PM) *

I used an impact wrench already. No luck. I have a friend who has a preey good set up and it did NOTHING to the nut.

I'm still trying to figure out where I'm supposed to "tap " on the cv joint to get it separated from the stub axel. There is NO ROOM inside the swing arm to tap on the side of the cv. this stuff probably belongs in my CV removal thread but if anyone has a good idea on how to get them out... please tell me!

Trust me a professionally mechanic will have a powerful enough impact wrench.
LvSteveH
QUOTE(736conver @ Nov 12 2006, 03:26 PM) *

Trust me a professionally mechanic will have a powerful enough impact wrench.

I agree, find better equipment. For $200 I've got 1000lbs of torque in reverse, it can break 1/2 bolts if the nut is frozen without issue.
snflupigus
I've got an impact and a 33gallon standup air compressor. My impact wont even remove lug nuts... (came with the sears compressor, should have known it would be a piece of shit) So I guess thats the next tool I must invest in. I think I will go buy a little torch too, have been meaning to get one of those too. As for the impact I havent needed one, the ol hand tools do the trick, i only use the compressor for sanding and grinding etc... (which does annoyingly take a lot of air) - So most of the time I resort to electric for that too. Come to think of it, I rarely use the compressor.
anthony
Instead of a cheap gun get something like this:

IPB Image

736conver
Yea a 33 gallon wont do much of anything but put air into your tires. I had the craftsman 30 gallon years back. Sand for 1 minute wait another 5 for the pressure to build up. I now have a 80 gallon tank and it seems like the air lasts for ever.
LvSteveH
QUOTE(736conver @ Nov 12 2006, 11:55 PM) *

Yea a 33 gallon wont do much of anything but put air into your tires.

You guys are a tough crowd. ONE 5 gallon tank was enough to loosen all the lug nuts on my car a couple days ago. No compressor attached, just 120psi. It was pretty close at the end I'll admit, but having a 33gal home compressor is not the problem here. I do all manner of work, and the only tool that makes me wish I had more air is a die grinder with a cutoff wheel. I can cut about a foot, then it goes into limp mode and slows considerably. I agree 80 gallons is nice, but you can do anything including paint and sand a car with a 33 if you have the right equipment. Someday I'll get a big tank, but it's no where near the top of my wish list.

Now go buy a quality impact like the one pictured and let the madness stop.

736conver
Its not nessacarily the amount of air but the CFM. But thats awhole nother ball of wax. Long story short your craftsman oilless compressor aint going to cut it. Its going to keep running and never have enough CFM for your tools. BTDT

QUOTE(LvSteveH @ Nov 13 2006, 11:44 AM) *

QUOTE(736conver @ Nov 12 2006, 11:55 PM) *

Yea a 33 gallon wont do much of anything but put air into your tires.

You guys are a tough crowd. ONE 5 gallon tank was enough to loosen all the lug nuts on my car a couple days ago. No compressor attached, just 120psi. It was pretty close at the end I'll admit, but having a 33gal home compressor is not the problem here. I do all manner of work, and the only tool that makes me wish I had more air is a die grinder with a cutoff wheel. I can cut about a foot, then it goes into limp mode and slows considerably. I agree 80 gallons is nice, but you can do anything including paint and sand a car with a 33 if you have the right equipment. Someday I'll get a big tank, but it's no where near the top of my wish list.

Now go buy a quality impact like the one pictured and let the madness stop.

Series9
I have a quality IR (600ish ft-lb-in-reverse) that won't even think about removing the rear stub nuts.

I use two floorjack handles: One placed across two of the studs on the hub to prevent the hub from turning and one on a large breaker bar on the castle nut. I frequently have to bounce my full weight on the 4' arm to break them loose. We actually broke a breaker bar on Leo's bus when he needed to do his rear brakes on his trip through ABQ.

Of course, this only works with the suspension installed on the car......
Eric_Shea
I have a large piece of angle stock with holes drilled in one end of it for the lug bolts. This holds the hub in place when it's off the car.

I then use a combination of heat (MAPP torch) and air wrench. I had to go acetylene once...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.