Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PVC Valve and oil catch for a 2.0 Litre
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Danieltt1956
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a 1975 2.0 Litre and I'm working on getting it to idle right, among a list of other things. The car came with an aftermarket air breather set up as shown in the picture below. My question is, isn't the engine supposed to have a pcv valve (as you can see the oil breather hose is just hanging out there)? If so, should it be connected to an oil trap? I'm looking for all the advice/tips that I can get as I'm on a steep learning curve and I heard that running a proper pcv system is essential to preventing oil leaks and other problems. I also have another question...since I no longer need to pass an emissions test on my car, can I disconnect the air pump to get a few more horses? Thanks in advance for your help. Daniel

IPB Image
jsteele22
QUOTE(Danieltt1956 @ Nov 12 2006, 07:17 PM) *

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a 1975 2.0 Litre and I'm working on getting it to idle right, among a list of other things. The car came with an aftermarket air breather set up as shown in the picture below. My question is, isn't the engine supposed to have a pcv valve (as you can see the oil breather hose is just hanging out there)? If so, should it be connected to an oil trap? I'm looking for all the advice/tips that I can get as I'm on a steep learning curve and I heard that running a proper pcv system is essential to preventing oil leaks and other problems. I also have another question...since I no longer need to pass an emissions test on my car, can I disconnect the air pump to get a few more horses? Thanks in advance for your help. Daniel

IPB Image

Well, no help on your main question, but at least a icon_bump.gif can't hurt.

About the air pump, yeah you can remove the whole system. Don't know how much power you gain, but it's nice just having it out of the way. You'll need to seal the air injector openings in the heads. I just brought one of the injectors (which come out just like a spark plug) to the hardware store and bought stainless screws that just barely bit into the inner bore of the injector. That plus high temp silicone sealed them up fine. Alternatively, someone posted last week a photo of some plugs he machined; maybe he's gonna sell them ?

Once you pull the air pump system, you can either keep it in a box for some future date when the car might need to be inspected, or sell it to someone who needs it for the same reason.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jsteele22 @ Nov 13 2006, 11:00 AM) *

Hi Everyone,

IPB Image

About the air pump, yeah you can remove the whole system. Don't know how much power you gain, but it's nice just having it out of the way. You'll need to seal the air injector openings in the heads. I just brought one of the injectors (which come out just like a spark plug) to the hardware store and bought stainless screws that just barely bit into the inner bore of the injector. That plus high temp silicone sealed them up fine. Alternatively, someone posted last week a photo of some plugs he machined; maybe he's gonna sell them ?

Once you pull the air pump system, you can either keep it in a box for some future date when the car might need to be inspected, or sell it to someone who needs it for the same reason.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Danieltt1956
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 13 2006, 09:10 AM) *

QUOTE(jsteele22 @ Nov 13 2006, 11:00 AM) *

Hi Everyone,

IPB Image

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Pic attached...at least it shows on my computer?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Danieltt1956 @ Nov 12 2006, 06:17 PM) *

I recently purchased a 1975 2.0 Litre

i don't know much about the '75 and it's smog equipment, but that doesn't look right ...

the oil filler has the PCV valve build in and that breather hose should either go to the air-filter or intake plenum (not sure on a '75) ...

it looks that a disconnected hose would leave you with a air-leak somewhere which will cause hunting idle ...
smile.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.