Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I or shouldnt I?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JThw8
Spent the weekend with my teener and now Im just full of questions and stuff smile.gif

Took a break from bodywork yesterday to go check out another 914 for sale.

Here's the lowdown. its a 74 with a rebuild 1.8...no paperwork on the rebuild but its nice and clean so its believeable.

The car is beyond saving, doors rotted, sails rotted, floors and longs gone etc.

Eng and trans are good and lo and behold it has chrome bumpers, front is excellent, rear has small rust through in one corner the rest is good, and a full center console. There are other bits here and there that I could use from the car. The "fun police" aka wifeypoo is not thrilled about me bringing home another so try to talk me out of bringing home this treasure trove of parts.

I can get it in the sub $400 price range. I'd be stupid not to right?

And if I do...who wants parts smile.gif I'm gonna have to part it out quick and dispose of the corpse to keep the wife happy. Any northeasers are welcome to come pick over the remains for goodies.

Sadly no FI system, previously converted to...get this, a single barrel center mount carb...no idea how they made that run, my progressive center mount runs crappy enough as it is (I was really hoping this had a good FI system I could pirate)
Brew
While it's nice to have spare parts laying around on the shelf, it's not much fun if the wife is up your ass about it every weekend to get that POS moved.

That being said, buy it!!

jsteele22
QUOTE(Brew @ Nov 13 2006, 06:15 AM) *

While it's nice to have spare parts laying around on the shelf, it's not much fun if the wife is up your ass about it every weekend to get that POS moved.

Been talkin' to Greg, have ya ?

Dr Evil
No documentation on the rebuild and the guy put a single bbl carb on it? I would not expect much from that engine. Does he even know what cam is in it? Compression ratio? The engine is a core.

If you can swing it, get it. What parts are you selling, though? You will likely want to keep most of the good stuff which will leave you with a surplus of large pieces that most people either have many of and do not want, or just do not want.

I know Eric Shea may want the trailing arms, brake stuff and pedal cluster. You can use the tranny for spare parts and save yoru self some money if/when you need a rebuild of the one in the car. Check ebay and our own classifieds and see what stuff is ACTUALLY selling (not just listed) so you can gauge how soon you can get rid of it. If you have room to store stuff and can cut up and dispose of the body, $400 is a good deal and the wife will not have to be vexed for too long.
SirAndy
QUOTE(JThw8 @ Nov 12 2006, 07:02 PM) *

Should I or shouldnt I?

here's one thing you certainly *should*:

- putting a more descriptive title with your posts ...

rolleyes.gif Andy
Brew
QUOTE(jsteele22 @ Nov 13 2006, 09:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Brew @ Nov 13 2006, 06:15 AM) *

Been talkin' to Greg, have ya ?

In person Sunday morning, helping to kill another parts car! sawzall-smiley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.