Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What car shows do you attend?/Bug Jam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JMPVW73
Where do I need to go to on the east coast to see a lot of 914's and other Porsches?
What type of car shows do you take your 914 to?
I'm a VW fan and rarely see any 914's at VW events.

I went to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix this year and there was only one 914 in a showing of around 100 Porsches. http://pittsburghvintagegrandprix.com/pvgp/site/default.asp
This is a very cool free show with thousands of cars. My family, for as long as its been in the US, originates in Ohio across the river from Wheeling, WV so I was able to tie this show in with a summer visit. It proved to be the most bang for the buck show I've ever been to and I hope to go again next year. I went on Saturday and they were doing $25 ride alongs around the track in the morning. I ended up in a Bugatti and it felt like he was useing at least 75% of the cars capabilities.
img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...rix_34_rear.jpg[/img]

Did anyone go to Florida Bug Jam?
My brother is planning to get married on Thanksgiving at Disney World next year. I was like "Carl, you idiot. Bug Jam and Florida Flywheelers is on the second weekend of November!"
http://www.pascobugjam.com/
http://www.floridaflywheelers.org/index.html
I hope he reconciders because I dont want to give up Thanksgiving dinner to waste a bunch of money on a trip to Disney World. I realy wanted to make it to Bug Jam this year but couldnt afford the trip.

pics of Subaru powered wide body 914.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v234/bug...rt=20#imgAnch37
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v234/bug.../BugJam%202006/?
jd74914
Hershey.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

HERSHEY is a must. There are other 914 events ,depends on you. Kerry Herr

in Virgina has a event that is bulding to the premier 914 event on the East coast.

There is the East coast Ramble, verious cookouts,BBQ, and general BS sessions.

I draw a circle from my house 500 miles those are a given, 1 day driving time.

Others require 2 days , and more planning. This yr. I plan to drive to Hershey,MSUR, Atlanta ( SEC), Kerry,s MWC, and what ever else fits my schudele. Dave slap.gif
carr914
I went to Bug Jam yesterday, beautiful day.

T.C.
type47
hershey swap meet of central PA pca in late april

inport/kit car carlisle in carlisle PA usually in may

bug out in manassas VA on memorial day

bug out in manassas VA on labor day

pca potomac swap meet in oct

dmenche914
I think it would be a good move to get more 914's into Bug shows. we are after all a joint VW Porsche car owners. The VW scene is BIG, big shows, big venodrs,a dn the hope that we can spark more interest in after market parts. this is ever so more important as we find more 914 parts NLA. golly what if West Coast Metric (a big time VW reubber seal maker) started making quality reporduction top seals, and such???

with a VW club partnership, our knowledge of the type IV engine could be shared. Many performance VW's have been swithing to the Type IV motor as a more power capable engine than the Type I motor. the knowledge would go both ways. Plus it will give us 914 owners a big venue to show our cars.

Hot VW's magazine, way way back decades ago would on occasion cover a 914 in an article, it has been too long since that has happened. would it not be cool to get them interested in our cars again?

Many of us do have a VW history, either before we got into 914, or currently. maybe it is timeto get the 914 to the Bug club meets? talk with the sponsers, see if you can. stress the VW end of this VW / Porsche joint project.n
If you read Hot VW's then write the editors a letter about this, ask to have a 914 features, again stressingthe VW end of the car. Also note the Karmann aspect, our 914 bodies were built by teh same folks that made the VW convertables! (Bugs, Ghias) The market for VW bugs has shrunk as time has passed, one major VW magazine droppe dout recently (VW Trends) maybe the the VW crowd will be more willing to let us join in. Our support would help them too.

I think the benifits to our 914's would be huge if we can be accepted as an aircooled VW.
I always considered the 914 one of the best handling,and sportest VW ever!

More power too you!
URY914
The Florida Bug Jam is always the same weekend as the State A/X Champs. That's where I was yesterday but I have gone to it in the past. They do allow 914 to enter and they have won the special intrest class before.
Tobra
Bugorama, went when I had a bug, have not taken the 914 to one, because the VW guys are notorious for doing the parking lot pic-n-pull. Don't want to go shopping for new lug bolts

After I get it painted and the interior done, I guess I could put it in the show and shine deal. I have seen 914's entered in the type 4 category
Jax914
I was at BugJam yesterday, with my bug...since the 914 is still under construction. Saw the two 914's that were there along with a '76 912E. Both 914s were very nice - the white WRX powered widebody was super clean - sporting a club badge - it sounded very mean/nice when leaving. The other was a red 73 that was very nice as well. Great guy.

Best part was that there were two used parts vendors where I scored a bunch of 914 stuff for what I think was a steal. I got a great center console and some small bits for $40. From the other guy, I got a set of plastic molded rockers, three door handles with two additional cylinders and keys, two new in-the-box Lobro 914 CV joints and a handful of other stuff for $80. Made my day - especially cause I needed one of those door handles and they're going for a lot more than that on ebay.

On the general topic - I've usually gone to the Brumos meet in October - but they didn't have it this year - they did OctoberFast down in Daytona.

type47
QUOTE(Jax914 @ Nov 13 2006, 09:09 AM) *

two new in-the-box Lobro 914 CV joints and a handful of other stuff for $80.

someone recently listed new CV's for $180 each on this site so i'd say you got a bargain.
Jake Raby
golly what if West Coast Metric (a big time VW reubber seal maker) started making quality reporduction top seals, and such???
golly what if West Coast Metric (a big time VW reubber seal maker) started making quality reporduction top seals, and such???

I know the President of the company.. he runs MassIVe power in his Bugazon that he takes all across South America once a year..

I talked to him about rubber for 914s, and he said that he would be willing to tool up for it IF enough units were pre sold to justify the cost of the molds and tooling...

He immediately followed that with "Those guys"....... and I said "Yeah"..

I am working on organizing a strictly aircooled Performance event in Georgia sometime in 2007, ptobably in the fall.. It'll be a weekend packed with a dyno day (with 4 categories and CASH prizes) as well as an A/X and possibly a track day..

dhs
I'll try this , it's been a while. In Pennsylvania , Hershey is great ,lot of cars and the parking lot gets like a car show of all types of Porsches . Lot of fun , nice when it dosen't rain. I been out to Carlisle import and kit car show 5 times. No section for Porches ,just a German section. We were the only porsche (76 914) at the show 5 years ago. Last year there were about 10 or 12 , 914's and 1 Boxter. Because of the Kit car thing there's a lot of nice 356 stuff and kit cars. Any way it's been fun and hope to see more 914's this year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.