Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Final suspension setup questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chris914
My car is finally back together!!! Thanks for every ones help!!!

At the jack donuts in the front, my car is 4", and in the back it is 5". The front control arms are almost level with the body (the body side slightly lower and the wheel side slight higher).

There are Bilstein Sports struts, Bilstein 19mm adjustable sway bar, bump steer spacers, and 21mm torsion bars.

Question 1: Should I adjust the control arms so they are level with the ground (or adjust the car using height) at the donuts?

Question 2: Should I adjust the car so the front and back are level at the donuts?

Question 3: How bad will I wear the tires driving them 5 miles to the alignment shop with the camber and caster being off?

Question 4: Where have people gotten their car aligned in San Diego?

Newest Pictures http://www.cassidy-online.com/porsche914/
Dr Evil
Hey Chris,
Good to see you around here! I can give you some info. You want to allign the car so the A arms are level with the ground. As for allignment, I dont know, but I do know that AJ uSA will not do it right as of last time I checked. They were gonna charge me $75 for toe only. 5 miles should not hurt your tires unless they are way out. You can adjust them so they are close enough to go. Also, dont drive fast with them out as it will shake the crap out of you biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(chris914 @ Nov 12 2006, 11:50 PM) *

Question 2: Should I adjust the car so the front and back are level at the donuts?

I would set it level at the rocker panels, with the front up to 1/4" lower than the rear. The a-arms don't have to be flat as long as the inner end isn't lower than the outer end.
Joe Ricard
I agree with the ride hieght. 1/4" higher in back than front.
What kind of rear shock do you have? can it be lowered anymore?
if not then the front will have to go up or else you will have MAD oversteer.
DanT
agree.gif with Chris and Joe....get the back end down...if possible...
1/4" lower in front is just about right.
My car is wicked low...just over 3" front, but my car is basically 90+% track now...
If your car is going to be a street car don't over do the camber settings...
But a little negative front and rear will really make it corner for the street.
Great that the car is almost ready for duty again. biggrin.gif
chris914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 13 2006, 08:15 AM) *

I agree with the ride hieght. 1/4" higher in back than front.
What kind of rear shock do you have? can it be lowered anymore?
if not then the front will have to go up or else you will have MAD oversteer.

They are Bilstein and are set to the third notch from the bottom. I choose that height originally because there was no extra space between the spring and the shock seats. If I lower it more do I have to do anything about the extra space when I jack the car up and down?

Does anyone know how much height does each notch lower the car? And I forget, can I just undo the bottom of the shock from the control arm and move the clip down without taking the shock out?
chris914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 12 2006, 09:12 PM) *

Hey Chris,
Good to see you around here! I can give you some info. You want to allign the car so the A arms are level with the ground. As for allignment, I dont know, but I do know that AJ uSA will not do it right as of last time I checked. They were gonna charge me $75 for toe only. 5 miles should not hurt your tires unless they are way out. You can adjust them so they are close enough to go. Also, dont drive fast with them out as it will shake the crap out of you biggrin.gif

Did you see the dash cover! I finally got it installed. THanks!
chris914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 13 2006, 04:42 AM) *

I would set it level at the rocker panels, with the front up to 1/4" lower than the rear. The a-arms don't have to be flat as long as the inner end isn't lower than the outer end.

Right now the inside is lower then the outside. I'm going to make level. The car is going to be 98% Autocross 2% street. Should I still make the front 1/4" lower then the back?
DanT
QUOTE(chris914 @ Nov 13 2006, 10:42 AM) *

Right now the inside is lower then the outside. I'm going to make level. The car is going to be 98% Autocross 2% street. Should I still make the front 1/4" lower then the back?

Yes...
If the car is mainly AX...how smooth are your sites...

If the sites you use are fairly flat and smooth...get the car low.

THis gives you a lower center of gravity and allows more negative camber to be dialed in.
I run ~ -2.5 front and ~ -2.75 in the rear.
Gives the car great turn in with the ability to get the back end out with brakes or throttle biggrin.gif
What rear springs are you using? 140s or 180s?

chris914
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Nov 13 2006, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(chris914 @ Nov 13 2006, 10:42 AM) *

Yes...
If the car is mainly AX...how smooth are your sites...

If the sites you use are fairly flat and smooth...get the car low.

THis gives you a lower center of gravity and allows more negative camber to be dialed in.
I run ~ -2.5 front and ~ -2.75 in the rear.
Gives the car great turn in with the ability to get the back end out with brakes or throttle biggrin.gif
What rear springs are you using? 140s or 180s?

Wow thats low!, how do you get to the track, lol

I have 140lbs in the back.

The track is Qualcomm Stadium parking lot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.