Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Line Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jperret
I went back and read the past postings. They were a great help.

Took out the fule tank and see METAL fuel lines coming out. On the other end the tubes that come out by the engine seem to be plastic.

Is this normal? Where does the metal end?

Because I see plastic, I am inclined to replace them. What do you guys think.

BTW - you all have been most helpful. Thanks
ClayPerrine
About a foot into the tunnel, the metal line is bonded to the plastic.

Dave_Darling
Look in the Pelican 914 Tech Articles for a link entitled "Tour of the Center Tunnel". You'll see the tunnel all laid open for your edification...

Thanks to Charlie Davis for taking the pics, and to Al Swanson (do I have the correct member of that 914 clan?) for plasma-cutting the thing out of a car for us!!

--DD
SLITS
Yeh, and then you run into a '70 chassis that was plastic all the way through.....................
jperret
Thanks Dave this is Great!

Joe
914werke
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 13 2006, 10:05 AM) *

About a foot into the tunnel, the metal line is bonded to the plastic.

Im not sure "bonded is the correct term, but I have a hijacked.gif Q:
How are the steel ends "sealed" to the plastic lines?
The steel sections are barbed but it look like the plastic is swedged or heated
onto the steel ends? confused24.gif
eg914
Also, why was steel used at the front end of the fuel lines? If they were replaced with new nylon lines would the steel front portion need to be used?
JeffBowlsby
I think it is possible to replace the plastic portion with new, to match the original identically. A pressure tester could be easily fabricated to pressure test the assembly.
SLITS
Look at it this way ..... cars up to '74 have the fuel pump in the rear, so the supply line only sees such pressure as can be developed by the height of fuel in the tank and that is mitigated by the suction of the pump......hence, little or no pressure on the supply line.

The return is a free discharge into the tank and esentially no pressure or very little pressure.

The only consideration in this scenerio is when the fuel pump is mounted under the tank ..... then the supply line will see upwards of 30 psig.
jperret
Good point. There is essentially no pressure on the lines. I plan to replace them anyway, and while we are at it, move the fuel pump to the front, under the gas tank.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.