Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to flatbed tow a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toddmr
I'm about to have my 914 towed on a flatbed to the shop and want to make sure the driver doesn't hook up to anything that'll get damaged.

Is it okay to have him hook up to the eyelet under the front trunk in order to pull it up the flatbed? Can he then use this to tie it down?

If I have the towhook that screws into the back bumper, can that be used to tie it down?
Allan
I wouldn't hook anything to the eyelet on the bottom of the trunk. Pretty weak IMHO.

I always have then attach to the a-arms...
StratPlayer
Unfortunately I've had to have mine towed a few times. Yes you can hook up to the eyelet under the front trunk.
Series9
I wouldn't.

Pulling the eyelet straight-on might be ok, but the tie-downs for the tow will load it at an angle and bend it.

I use a strap through the wheels or the A arms.
TravisNeff
Don't have it put on backwards, meaning the rear o the car facing forward unless you check how well your rear trunk pin holds the trunk down. Ask me how I know.
Series9
Through the wheels:

GWN7
agree.gif

Tow eye for loading........straps over or thru the tires for tieing down......
Cap'n Krusty
NEVER tie the body down! ALWAYS the tires. If they don't have a way to tie the tires, then the suspension. Because the body is sprung, they'll never get it tight enough without causing damage. Any good towtruck driver should know that. The Cap'n
Trekkor
I've pulled my car onto my trailer from the lower eyelet many times.

Did it yesterday dry.gif

And I always strap through the wheels.

KT
grantsfo
I strap A arms in front and the custom welded steel loops on the back of my trailing arms. BBS honeycomb wheels are hard to strap unless you have those special tire straps and floor mounted tiedowns. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.