Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Any travel agents in the house
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
The wife has decided that she wants to spend the holidays with her family in Turkey. dry.gif

I've been looking for travel deals (CSOB ya know) and am coming up empty.

So, anybody got a connection to some cheap ass round trip tickets from LAX to Istanbul?

Planning on leaving either 12/15 or 12/16 and returning no later than 1/1/07.
jwalters
Hate to tell you bud, but I think you already know you are fuc.........

Unless you consider 6k cheap ---
Allan
Best deal I have found is $3500.00...
jwalters
WOW! If that is for the both of you I would have to say pretty darn good! May I ask which airline?? I have a couple pilot friends that work for Delta, they have inside scoop to the deals most don't know about - But I do know that Delta id usually more expensive than others.
Allan
Just found one for $2400.00.

That's for 3 people...
jwalters
A word of caution to you fellow teenerphile -

I do not know how much you fly, especially during the holidays but somoe food for thought.

There is an unsaid practice I have "heard" about that airlines sometimes resort to, to keep the books in check. I am sure you have heard of "overbooking"

In this day and age, with the scrutiny of passenger manifests and record keeping. It is supposed to be impossible to overbook, ever.
-but-
Say for example, the holidays, this is the meat and potatoes of the airlines, do as much business as possible. Period.

So they will overlook certain protocols and overbook based on the theory that because of the holidays, some will not show for their flight, and therefore will have another passenger at the ready to take the spot.
-but-
In many, many cases this does not work out as planned, hence, the "rage" of passengers screaming how they could possibly be overbooked for a flight they paid for - and then get left to take another flight, either late, late that night, or the next day, or two.

Thinking is, if someone doesn't show up, no problem, there are no refunds and they can take another flight somewhere else for the same cost of ticket. If they do show up and the overbooked person gets bumped, well, no problem, there are no refunds, and they can take another flight.

This is getting into the realm of too good to be true itis --- when ticket prices plummet for transoceanic travel, beware. This can be a warning sign of you not getting where you want, when you want, but will get there eventually ---

the movie, "trains, planes, and automobiles" may be a comedy, but it is based on this practice.

I hope I am making sense - because after fuel costs, ground support costs, leg taxes, landing and take-off taxes, food and beverage, flight support costs, etc, etc Trans-oceanic travel is VERY costly to the airlines, net profit per passenger is rarely 20% and more like 15% over the last few years - keep in physical phone contact with airline rep every day until travel to ensure no -overbookings --

All of the big airlines are still in bankruptcy, close to it, in some form or another

I just want to see you make your destination -

J
jsteele22
QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 13 2006, 12:23 PM) *

The wife has decided that she wants to spend the holidays with her family in Turkey. dry.gif

You should convince her to go for Thanksgiving. Turkey, for thanksgiving. Is this thing on ?
Lou W
QUOTE(jsteele22 @ Nov 13 2006, 04:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 13 2006, 12:23 PM) *

You should convince her to go for Thanksgiving. Turkey, for thanksgiving. Is this thing on ?

agree.gif We'll probably have ham for Christmas and turkey for Thanksgiving at our house.

av-943.gif
Eric_Shea
How much for 4 tickets to ham? confused24.gif
Lou W
I got two tickets to paradise..... drunk.gif
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 13 2006, 03:02 PM) *

1200 Yam's chowtime.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 13 2006, 03:02 PM) *

4 bone(rs)
Allan
So I'm gonna assume the answer is, there are no travel agents in the house, only out of work comedians... wacko.gif
jsteele22
QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 13 2006, 04:11 PM) *

So I'm gonna assume the answer is, there are no travel agents in the house, only out of work comedians... wacko.gif

Whaddaya mean ? I'm at work.....
G e o r g e
QUOTE(jsteele22 @ Nov 13 2006, 03:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 13 2006, 04:11 PM) *

Whaddaya mean ? I'm at work.....

Me too dead horse.gif
Eric_Shea
Me too loser! w00t.gif
Eric_Shea
Found this hidden in the "Mission Statement":

"The 914Club is moving into a new phase of its evolution. We have spent the last three years hanging out and having a great time. Some of our amazing members have stepped up to develop some great products and host some wonderful events. The admin team has decided that it's time the 914Club takes itself a little more seriously. Our first and greatest goal is to eliminate all travel agents from our membership roster."

I guess that means no.

confused24.gif
jwalters
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 13 2006, 06:31 PM) *

"The 914Club is moving into a new phase of its evolution. We have spent the last three years hanging out and having a great time. Some of our amazing members have stepped up to develop some great products and host some wonderful events. The admin team has decided that it's time the 914Club takes itself a little more seriously. Our first and greatest goal is to eliminate all travel agents from our membership roster."

I guess that means no.

confused24.gif

Holy Crap Batdick - We need a new Pole!

av-943.gif
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 13 2006, 03:31 PM) *

I guess that means no.

confused24.gif

this must be from the red highlighted link above, as it was not in Andy's post or McMarks

now i have to read it again for the 3rd time headbang.gif
SLITS
Given that I know how fast you and Howie are on a track, I would suggest that you take the /6, get a running start (LA - NY). With your kinda of speed you could skip like a rock across the pond .... you could then proudly show your /6 to the Porsche Club of Instantbull.
Eric_Shea
Well, well, well... lookie what I found in the ole Missionary Statement:

"The 914Club is moving into a new phase of its evolution. We have spent the last three years hanging out and having a great time. Some of our amazing members have stepped up to develop some great products and host some wonderful events. The admin team has decided that it's time the 914Club takes itself a little more seriously. Our first and greatest goal is to eliminate Slits from our membership roster."
Allan
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 13 2006, 09:28 PM) *

Well, well, well... lookie what I found in the ole Missionary Statement:

"The 914Club is moving into a new phase of its evolution. We have spent the last three years hanging out and having a great time. Some of our amazing members have stepped up to develop some great products and host some wonderful events. The admin team has decided that it's time the 914Club takes itself a little more seriously. Our first and greatest goal is to eliminate Slits from our membership roster."

thumb3d.gif
SLITS
Standing erect and in his best Jack Benny voice, he utters, "Well, I've been thrown out of better places".

Is Ron still allowed non-membership?
Eric_Shea
(Ron's OK)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.