Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: I just saved my cat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
My wife called me in because my cat was choking.

He was making that gross, "i've got a hairball", cough.

I carried him off the carpet, but he was getting worse.
He was starting to get limp and was rolling on his back hanging his tongue out gasping.

I opened his mouth and looked in his throat.
I could see the head of a sewing pin in the back of his mouth. ohmy.gif

We wrapped him in a towel so he wouldn't shred us.
I had to pluck the pin head out with him struggling and trying close his mouth.

I got it out and he has forgiven me.

he bit me...

KT
MrKona
GOOD JOB! clap56.gif
MrKona
One more thing... keep an eye on him and get him to a vet if anything doesn't look right. Who knows what that pin could have stuck in there...
Dr Evil
Probably should have you and the cat looked at. The mouth is a dirty place that is rife with bacteria that normally does not get a chance to get into the blood stream and such.
Allan
Good job...

How would he swallow a pin? House or outdoor type?

Mean Neighbor kids?
TravisNeff
Good Job Trekkor, and I will side with Dr Evil on a cat bite - I had a bad one from a wild cat the got in the house. After 24 hours my hand doubled in size and was creeping up my arm. A few shots in my ass took care of it, but man did that hurt for weeks.
Joe Ricard
You should bite him back

I agree cat bites suck most always get infected.
dmenche914
Maybe X-ray the cat, could have been more than one pin, and you only got the one he didn't swollow. An x-ray would probably assure you there are no other pins in him.

good lcuk
Trekkor
The pin was one of those short pin cushion types...For sewing.
With the bb sized plastic head.

I soaked my finger in hydrogen peroxide. It felt like my finger was in a tiny vice...with teeth. Ouch!

We were both pretty scared and were all shaky from the experience.

KT
Trekkor
After I pulled it out of his mouth, it was like it was never there.

he started meowing again and just walked away...like normal.

I went to hold him, but he had enough of that earlier.

KT
jsteele22
QUOTE(MrKona @ Nov 13 2006, 02:20 PM) *

One more thing... keep an eye on him and get him to a vet if anything doesn't look right. Who knows what that pin could have stuck in there...

No worries there. We all know a cat doesn't use its brain biggrin.gif

Kidding aside, good job trekkor. Glad your little moster will be around to drive you nuts.

Kinda, sorta on the same note, my sister has a chihuahua, quite a bit smaller than an average cat, that we took on a road trip. Towards evening she (the dog) started acting weird. By midnight, she was shaking, looking around eratically, totally unresponsive. We left the motel and drove all night to get her home to her vet. By the time morning came, though, she started to seem better, and was pretty much recovered by the time we got home. We think that she found some kind of drugs on the floor - prescription, meth, who knows ? Anyway, on the very next trip my sister took, she checked the floor of the room and found 2 pills. Just one more thing for pet lovers to stress about.

Brew
A Chihuahua on meth???? av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
jsteele22
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 13 2006, 02:47 PM) *

I soaked my finger in hydrogen peroxide. It felt like my finger was in a tiny vice...with teeth. Ouch!

Well, if it seems to be swelling at all, definitely get it looked at. I mentioned once to my dad (an MD) that I had a splinter in my finger, and he really got concerned about it. And he's a pretty mellow guy. It turns out that different body parts respond differently, but in fingers, when infection begins it causes swelling, which reduces circulation, which boosts the infection, etc. It can lead to a runaway situation requiring amputation to stop it. Not that common, but costly enough to take the possibility very seriously.
jsteele22
QUOTE(Brew @ Nov 13 2006, 02:58 PM) *

A Chihuahua on meth???? av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

Yeah, I totally ruled out ecstasy, because she just wouldn't dance with me. What a bitch.

iamchappy
I had the same thing happen to my cat, the needle still had the thread on it, I had to reach in and pull it out also, I noticed her drooling and her mouth was propped open because it was jammed into the roof of its mouth.

I had to save my Dobermans life once at the lake, she had eaten a glob of mud and as she was passing out I floated her out in the water and did the Hymnlicke(SP), as the tube of glob came out, she came too in my arms.

My wife ended up killing the cat when she was doing the wash, apparently the cat jumped into the dryer while she was loading it with wet towels. I was upstairs watching TV and I thought she must of been drying tennis shoes in the dryer as I heard the continuing thump, thump, thump as the cat was going around. YOU SHOULD OF HEARD HER SCREAM WHEN SHE OPENED IT. Worst it was the night before Christmas so we kept it secret from the kids, to this day they think the cat died of old age in her sleep.
Mid_Engine_914
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 13 2006, 01:12 PM) *

He was starting to get limp and was rolling on his back hanging his tongue out gasping.

he bit me...

KT

Good job and quick thinking. I’m glad he’s ok. Here’s my cat, Violet. She chews on everything in sight and I bet she has a belly full of twigs and branches.

JPB
Good job! thumb3d.gif
jwalters
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 13 2006, 04:12 PM) *

he bit me...

KT

That is one evil ass looking mutha fracker - I feel my soul leaving my body as I gaze without cause into its eyes ---

Glad you saved him - unsure.gif

biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
Lucky cat nice going. Would you call that Gynocology? I mean you did have you fingers in a pussy.
jwalters
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Nov 13 2006, 04:27 PM) *

Good Job Trekkor, and I will side with Dr Evil on a cat bite - I had a bad one from a wild cat the got in the house. After 24 hours my hand doubled in size and was creeping up my arm. A few shots in my ass took care of it, but man did that hurt for weeks.

Happened to me too. I was about 6 years old at the time. My siamese was fighting with the cat next door. So being the concerned little lad I was I tried to seperate them. The cat next door released my cat and proceeded to jump onto my outstretched forearm. Sunk all his claws and his fangs into my arm. Then he jumped off. When he did I saw a stream of blood squirt about 3 feet into the air. Then it did it again, and again, I freaked. Mom freaked because she did not know what happened -I was just freaking and screaming and gushing bright red all over the house -

Cats freak me out to this day - new_shocked.gif
Midtowner
Good job saving the cat. I'll bet it was one intense experience. I recommend checking the floor for other pins, pills and other bad stuff. Why do I say this? Because my cat almost died of kidney failure after eating a pill found on the floor. smile.gif
Trekkor
It was totally intense.

My wife had the cat wrapped up so he couldn't get away.

I had to keep prying his mouth open and he was gagging.

At first I was using needle nosed pliers to try and get the pin head. ohmy.gif
I ended up holding his mouth open with one hand and picking the pin out with the other.

I wasn't sure if he could breathe or not. he was mostly just scared.

KT
Trekkor
"Zoey"
grantsfo
Ouch! Poor kitty. Watch that finger for infection as mentioned above.
bottomend
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Nov 13 2006, 02:09 PM) *

I had the same thing happen to my cat, the needle still had the thread on it, I had to reach in and pull it out also, I noticed her drooling and her mouth was propped open because it was jammed into the roof of its mouth.

I had to save my Dobermans life once at the lake, she had eaten a glob of mud and as she was passing out I floated her out in the water and did the Hymnlicke(SP), as the tube of glob came out, she came too in my arms.

My wife ended up killing the cat when she was doing the wash, apparently the cat jumped into the dryer while she was loading it with wet towels. I was upstairs watching TV and I thought she must of been drying tennis shoes in the dryer as I heard the continuing thump, thump, thump as the cat was going around. YOU SHOULD OF HEARD HER SCREAM WHEN SHE OPENED IT. Worst it was the night before Christmas so we kept it secret from the kids, to this day they think the cat died of old age in her sleep.

My friends cat did this once... and lived ( minus one life). One time the cat climbed onto the water bed. Guess what happened next? The last time they saw the cat it was being carried off in the beak of one of those giant crows they have in the midwest ( they lived in Illinois). Flew up into the air and straight out of sight. Creepy.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(bottomend @ Nov 13 2006, 08:37 PM) *

The last time they saw the cat it was being carried off in the beak of one of those giant crows they have in the midwest ( they lived in Illinois). Flew up into the air and straight out of sight. Creepy.

Giant crows huh.gif Could you get me some of whatever you were on when you

saw this?
jonwatts
thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif

Is it any wonder why cats have nine lives?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.