Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optima Battery Failures?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
My car hasn't been started in several months, which has a Optima red battery in it. Electricals work, but the starter will not engage. I popped my battery on the charger for a while and it shows that it has a full charge. Still have the same starting issue, it could be the starter - but I guess I will ask if these batteries can lose cells like a conventional one. I'd hate to shell out $140 and find out that is not my problem. How can I check this, check power at the terminals with a DVM while someone turns the key??
Dave_Darling
Yup, that's one easy way to do it. Check across the battery terminals and that'll check the battery. I forget how low the voltage can drop under the starter's load, but if it goes to <9V, it needs some "help". (Try recharging it on the 6A setting for a while; sometimes that seems to help with Optimas!)

Checking at the starter will tell you if you've enough voltage getting to the starter--which checks all of the wiring, the ignition switch, the grounds, etc.

--DD
TravisNeff
Garhoovey~! Thanks.
Cap'n Krusty
You DO know that Optimas require special charging techniques, right? 13.8V MAXIMUM, and no more than 1A. The Cap'n
TravisNeff
Nope, I don't - I might have screwed the pooch on this one.
gregrobbins
Can you trickle charge an OPTIMA? Solar card charger?

Yes, you can use any charger on an OPTIMA as long as the voltage is regulated properly. If your charger will remain on indefinitely the voltage should be at 13.8 volts maximum with a one amp maximum current.

This is a quote from the Optima web site. AZBill put his on a regular charger and "cooked" it.
smooth_eddy
I had problems with starting my car after it sat for a month or so with the factory starter and a new Optima Red Top. After I put in the mini starter (Nippondenso) it ended all my starting problems. Hot starts no problem anymore and starts right up after the car has been sitting for months. Eddy
anthony
If you are putting a fresh battery in the 914 and it still won't start then the battery isn't the problem.

Your optima could still be discharged after letting it sit for 3 months. Optimas have special charging procedures when it is fully run down. They supposedly need a high amperage shock charge followed by a trickle charge to get them going again. I found this on the Optima web site:

34 & 34R - 34/78 - 6V - 25 & 35 - 75/25
These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They are NOT recommended or warranted for use in deep cycle applications.

Recommended charging information:

Alternator:
13.3 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.

Battery charger:
13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, 6-12 hours approximate.

Rapid Recharge:
Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated).
Maximum current: No limit as long as temperature < 125°F (51.7°C).
Maximum recharge time: Charge until current drops below 1 amp.

Float charge:
13.2 to 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).

I also highly recommend a CTEK battery charger/maintainer for cars that aren't used every day:

http://www.ctek.com/US/chargers.asp

I have the US800. Works awesome.

dmenche914

i have let an optima sit for near a year, and it still took a charge, and two years latter works great, the thing is 7-9 years old.

You can also test by turning on your headlights, and see what the voltage drops too. you can do this without a second person, or a remote start switch.

You may have a bad ground strap, make sure your tranny ground is cleaned up and tight. also clean your terminals. test your starter switch, make sure you get voltage tot eh solinoid (I forgot if you said it cranks, or tried to engage at all0

these are things you can checkeasy, or to eliminate teh batttery proble, see if it starts with a jump.

I believe somewher eless than about 9 volts,a dn the brain wont work so no gas gets tot he motor

TravisNeff
Thanks for all the responses. I did put a mid grade charge on the battery for a couple hours then dropped it to a trickle. This is AZ, and the normal life expectancy of a conventional battery is around 2.5 years with the punishing heat and broad temp changes in the winter. I haven't tried jumping the starter either, yet another test. This battery was in the car when I bought it, so I have no idea of how old it is unless there is a manufactured date on it.
Chris Pincetich
My 0.02
Take one side of a jumper cable and use it to create a real ground to the neg side of the batterey then try to start it. Hook up to some real good metal or the engine case or fan shroud. When I was sluething my no start issue I bought new cables for my new Optima and broke off the ground post trying to loosen the nut - there was enough rust in there (hidden under paint) to make it an BAD ground. I think the equation is battery + open side grill on 914 + current = rust. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.