Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 tips & tricks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SGB
Every so often I stumble into some special way to do something with or for my car. If this thread stays alive, maybe others can add their bits & pieces so we could put it in the info section or something.
Tonights realization:
-Compression results vary DRAMATICALLY with battery charge/ cranking speed- especially with an agressive cam. One should ALWAYs have a charger going on the batt when doing a comp test.

Previous observations
- A sudden high idle (especially after manipulating the throttle IN the engine compartment) may come from the Accel cable being caught on the top of the clutch cable clevis pin.
- Overheating at higher speeds could be timing set too high
-

I can't think of any of the other "oh!" moments right now, but I recall that there have been plenty of 'em. Iffin you have soome clever bit of info, add it on...
jd74914
QUOTE(SGB @ Nov 13 2006, 11:23 PM) *

-Compression results vary DRAMATICALLY with battery charge/ cranking speed- especially with an agressive cam. One should ALWAYs have a charger going on the batt when doing a comp test.

I've been taught/told that you should never run the charger while the engine is running or the battery is hooked into the electrical system. It had something to do with overloading it. I don't know if this is true, but I thought I might as well as for claification. smile.gif
Brett W
Always use chopsticks to set TDC????????
dmenche914
Less load on teh battery and starter if you pull all four spark plugs for he compresssion test. thus more consitant results.

if you have a pertonix ignition, be SURE you pull ther power to it before the compression test. You will FRY YOUR PERTRONIX if you crank the motor with the plugs disconected if you leave teh ignition power on. Do not ask me how I know, other than I have a spare, dead pertronix if any one needs one!!!!

Toast
Don't drop the wrench while you are loosening the battery cable. biggrin.gif

If strange things happen and you are not sure why (like headlights wont pop up, or the only gage working is the tack but that dies when you hit the brakes) Check Your Fuses! If you don't have a cover on, you may have bumped one loose or off.
Howard
Don't eat yellow snow.
Joe Ricard
If you can fuck it up on a 914 we have heard about it here.

Best place to start troubleshooting. What did you do last?

Changed oil, now have no oil pressure????? Did ya put oil in the right hole?

Remove fill plug on transaxle 1st This only makes sense when the bottom one is out and the top one is STUCK.
SGB
When replacing an exhaust stud, avoid having it too close to the exhaust pipe (b/c the nut WON'T TURN then)
majkos
QUOTE(Howard @ Nov 13 2006, 09:33 PM) *

Don't eat yellow snow.

av-943.gif Henna's favorite!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.