Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: What parts cleaner to use
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gregrobbins
Picked up a small parts cleaner and the instructions are pretty vague on what to use. They advise against strong solvant and talk about biodegradable cleaners.

I am guessing they mean stuff like Simple Green. What works well for you?
mcbain77
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Nov 13 2006, 08:38 PM) *

Picked up a small parts cleaner and the instructions are pretty vague on what to use. They advise against strong solvant and talk about biodegradable cleaners.

I am guessing they mean stuff like Simple Green. What works well for you?

Purple Power works awesome! You can even strip paint with it.
Brett W
Use mineral spirits, then wash later with Purple. Mineral spirits will really cut the grease. Purple will wash the film off.
TravisNeff
HF sells a couple different gallong jugs of solvent for the parts washers, they work ok in my experience.
shaggy
i just pick up carb cleaner in gallon buckets at autozone.

works great. cuts grease. strips paint. eats plastic and rubber. and burns like hell(eats through my latex gloves if i dont change them frequently).

-jim
bondo
I use mineral spirits and let stuff soak for months at a time. My HF unit said not to use solvent, but then it also has a thermal dealie in the lid that closes it if it exceeds a certain temperature (catches fire). Methinks they designed it for solvent knowing everyone uses solvent, and they reccomend against using solvent to help cover thier asses.

Mine has been going for a couple years now with no troubles. With the lid closed it doesn't even stink up the garage.
Bartlett 914
I found that simple green stinks. I used a lot of it once. Now I can't stand being near it. Mineral spirits or Naptha works. If using water based cleaners, I like to use pressure washer concentrate. I like the pink stuff. I use this with a spray bottle only. probably not best in your tank. I use in my tank solvent fron "Safety Clean". It works O.K. They recycle it on an annual basis.
plas76targa
Greg, I bought a similar unit from Eastwood Company, including a gallon of their biodegradible cleaner. Check them out.

I also have some Simple Green aviation grade cleaner that work's great 50/50. I use it from a spray bottle to clean lots of stuff. Bought that from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty. I can get you the exact name tonight (after work).
snflupigus
i have a 20 gallon cleaner and i used a big jug of purple power plus about 3 jugs of water. it has stripped the paint off of the inside of the bin and has done a fine job of eating off the baked on crud that was on all my tin. HOWEVER it built up a nice calcium sort of deposit on my aluminium parts that had to be scrubbed off with a wire brush.

I think bondo probably has it hit right on the head. My thoughts were however that i didnt want the risk of fire at all in my house/garage and i didnt want the entire garage stinking of carb cleaner etc...
jsteele22

The purple power stuff is mostly lye. There's some aromatic hydrocarbons too, but I think the lye is what does most of the work. I used to use it, but I'm not a big fan any more.

I bet the theory about solvents is true. Have you noticed that Q-Tip containers specifically say they are NOT to be used in the ear ? Gimme a break.
Borderline
I have found that bio-diesel is a pretty good solvent. don't know how it compares to the others. that Purple power stuff sounds pretty strong, like carb cleaner.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.