Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Forming LEXAN
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Joe Ricard
Just not sure I can shape the complex contour without fucking it up.

So I got Paul's door skin mocked up on an early door. ( Don't worry the steel skin was beat to shit)

I got the early wind up pieces and channel guides without felt. ( I need some of this stuff).

How do I shape the Lexan so it will stay.
URY914
Will it fit in your microwave oven?

How about a heat gun?

How thick is it?

I've never tried to form lexan are you sure you can?

Sorry for all the ???
URY914
Found this...

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/ubb.x/.../m/656009403731
Joe Ricard
Paul rocks.
Hmm, an oven.......

Wife works this Friday I am home to work on car ALL DAY.
I figured I could use the glass piece as the form.

Oh 1/4" BTW. I think once it's shaped it should stay pretty good.
sww914
I know a guy that makes lexan windshields and rear windows for 356's.
He made a plywood oven with fiberglass insulation that runs on propane- you only need 350-400 degrees. he lays a slightly oversized piece of lexan right on the glass and lets it melt. You could also hit up a local powdercoater for a little oven time.
Research the temperature, I haven't talked to him about it for over 5 years and my memory isn't what it used to be.
Joe Ricard
Excellent idea there is a Jet hot coating place some place near me.
john rogers
The sun works well. I saw a windshield install at a shop here in San Diego and they used a large piece of cardboard to make the template. Then they cut the lexan and smoothed the edges. They centered the windshield and used some sheetmetal screws about every three inches working outwards with two guys doing both sides together. The last curves in the corners were pulled in with masking tape and worked slowly to finish. The lexan was pretty warm and curved easily. They did mention that the holes in the lexan have to be large enough for the screws to move around since the lexan expands and contracts some.
Brett W
Alright, I tried this awhile back. I was trying to form some quarter window on a Civic. They have a compound cu rve that I was trying to duplicate. I tried two 1500 watt heat guns in combination with a heat lamp and a 1000watt retina burner. I just couldn't get such a large piece hot enough to really get it to keep a form.

I was using 1/8th inch. Why are you using 1/4in? That is some super thick stuff are you looking for bullet protection? Your competitors trying to take you out?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.