Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VIN Plates Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tyler
If I've asked this before, I apoligize, but I'm still struggling with what to do. The part of my VIN plate at the windshield with the number on it is gone and the one on the door is trashed. As a minimum I need to get a new one at the windshield pillar while the glass is out for painting. A new one on the door I can always do later. I found a guy in the Club that said he worked for a dealer and could get them but I never got a response from a couple of emails to him. I have the title and all the documentation but I can't find a source for a new stamped plate.
Has anyone been through this or know about it?
Allan
QUOTE(tyler @ Nov 14 2006, 02:13 PM) *

If I've asked this before, I apoligize, but I'm still struggling with what to do. The part of my VIN plate at the windshield with the number on it is gone and the one on the door is trashed. As a minimum I need to get a new one at the windshield pillar while the glass is out for painting. A new one on the door I can always do later. I found a guy in the Club that said he worked for a dealer and could get them but I never got a response from a couple of emails to him. I have the title and all the documentation but I can't find a source for a new stamped plate.
Has anyone been through this or know about it?

IIRC, isn't the dealer only able to get the door tag? I don't remember ever seeing anything about the window pillar tag. You don't need it as long as you have the one in the front trunk, plus it can be replaced with the windshield in the car...
2-OH!
I think the Kalifornication DVM requires two VIN plates...One in the trunk and one on the pillar...

My daughters 2000 VW Bug came from the factory with no plate on the pillar...They make you go down to one of the Gestapo headquarters (CHP) to see an officer and they will make the determination on the car...So take all your paperwork with you so you can convince him...Meanwhile, they will issue a temporary driving ticket for you to use the car...

I don't know how tough all this is exactly, we never follwed through because the daughter went back to Washington state for school...But that is the process here in Santa Clarita...

Good luck...

2-OH!
william harris
Any Porsche dealer can get you a new door jam sticker with the VIN. Need to produce your title and registration and pay $$. VIN plate for window post??? blink.gif
cobra94563
I would imagine a replacement VIN plate would look suspious, too.
You might check with CHP.

Before I could register my cobra replica (FG body and custom frame, neither with VIN), I took it to CHP and they issued/attached 2 VIN plates. (I had a hard time because some pre-65 engines don't have complete serial numbers and I needed to prove legal ownership of the engine).
tyler
The local (Long Beach, CA) that used to provide them told me they no longer went any further back than 1990. Anyone know a source?

QUOTE(william harris @ Nov 14 2006, 02:53 PM) *

Any Porsche dealer can get you a new door jam sticker with the VIN. Need to produce your title and registration and pay $$. VIN plate for window post??? blink.gif

dmenche914
The window VIN is required, to aid in ID of your car while parked. Older cars don't have them, and are grandfathered in as legal. Many times this requirement is not checked. But sometimes it comes up at vehicle transfer, or smog / road tests, or a ticket!!!

Best to have something up front in t he window, even a home made metal tag, scribed to the correct number may work (how many authiorities know what a stock 30 year old VIN plate looks like anyway) Just make a neat one with a number stamp set in some aluminum. maybe an egraver, or trophy shop could make one for you

By the way, you can replace the VIN number with the window in place. remove the black padding on the window post , and that will expose the two rivets for the tag.

i think you would be hard pressed to get a replica VIN tag from the factory. Either homemade, or have an engraver do it for you is the way to go.

As long as you are using the correct VIN number, i doubt this would be considered tampering, but you might want to check the law. If your reproduction VIN tag is "good enough" then no one will ever know.

Now is time to make your car an original six!! (just kidding!!)

good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.