Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this piece...and what does it do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
what the heck does this black sprial thing do in the door jamb? The driver side one (pictured) is almost flush with the door jamb, while the passenger side is pushed up in the hole behind it...which one is installed correctly and what do they do?

Click to view attachment
StratPlayer
The one in the picture is installed correctly. They are air vents that provide air flow to that section of the car.
G e o r g e
that piece holds in a little filter

you don't need them

pull them and ship them to me for proper disposal smile.gif
biosurfer1
well the passenger side is shoved up in there so i'll have to fish it out, the one pictured doesnt want to fit easily, so I didnt want to screw something up, guess i'll have to try a bit harder now...

thanks
Dr Evil
They hold a filter that, if you live in a wet climate, retains water and rusts the hell out of a hard to get at place.
Andyrew
Flux drive.. dont touch it...
Midtowner
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 14 2006, 04:12 PM) *

They hold a filter that, if you live in a wet climate, retains water and rusts the hell out of a hard to get at place.

Yup. I can relate. sad.gif
dmenche914
orange, great color!!!!
Bleyseng
while you are at it tuck the sail chrome trim piece under the door seal where it belongs... smile.gif
9146FAN
I think the designers put those vents in to equalize the cabin pressure when closing a door with the windows up and the top on. It makes closing the door easier. My early car has no black plastic inserts; I think those are for decoration.

My $.02
biosurfer1
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 14 2006, 06:36 PM) *

while you are at it tuck the sail chrome trim piece under the door seal where it belongs... smile.gif

HEY, dont tell me what to do with my chrome trim, i'll rip it all out if i want and epoxy it to the hood and trunk biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

actually, i didnt even see it had slipped out until you mentioned it.

about the orange...i had a ravenna green (see avatar) and never really liked it, although it was original just wasnt for me...now the orange is a different story rolleyes.gif
McMark
agree.gif

They are vents for when you close the door.

Early cars did not come with them, IIRC.
biosurfer1
its sort of funny to think about how many problems 914 owners have with seals not "sealing" correctly, that they actually put a vent there to ease pressure when you close the door...because my 914 is THAT sealed!!:)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.