Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bill in his Boxster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Trekkor
I have some short clips out of turn 10 from Sunday.

1st one:

Good car, Bill.

KT
Brad Roberts
Excellent!

Bill,

tell us what was going on here? Did you really have to brake that early into 11 or was it because of the 911? Was passing allowed in 11?

Great exit with the 911 pass! DONT be afraid to drive on the paint in 11. Others have said this here in the Paddock.

Exiting 10 was it not worth the extra few feet to track out closer to the exit birm? or is the car just not going fast enough to warrant the extra track out space?

B
Brad Roberts
The video is cut, but it appears you didnt gain any ground on the 911 in 11 like I thought you should/would??

B
Trekkor
next clip in 6 minutes...

KT
nine14cats
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 14 2006, 04:48 PM) *

next clip in 6 minutes...

KT

Thanks for taking the time Trekkor. I appreciate it!

Bill P.
Trekkor

tasty chowtime.gif

KT
Brad Roberts
Car looks nice a flat through 10. Are you braking at all? I thought I saw the nose go down a little bit.

I would assume you are flat through there?

B
Brad Roberts
I noticed a lot less brake going into 11!! that time!!

I love looking at this "stuff"

B
Brad Roberts
I noticed that you are still braking under turn in for 11 in video number2. Is this needed? Does the car understeer if you dont brake during turn in ? right there? Could you brake sooner and get back on the gas sooner?

B
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 14 2006, 04:40 PM) *

Excellent!

Bill,

tell us what was going on here? Did you really have to brake that early into 11 or was it because of the 911? Was passing allowed in 11?

Great exit with the 911 pass! DONT be afraid to drive on the paint in 11. Others have said this here in the Paddock.

Exiting 10 was it not worth the extra few feet to track out closer to the exit birm? or is the car just not going fast enough to warrant the extra track out space?

B

Ah...two words...."I suck!".... laugh.gif

I made a conscious decision to drive at 6/10th's all day long. As mentioned earlier I just flew in two days before from Europe and I worked on the car the night before placing in the GPS unit, changing oil, etc. Ripping it up was not in the game plan. A nice slow dance with Lucille, but at arms length. No ass grabbing....

No, I didn't have to brake early in 11. I could have closed the gap considerably as the 911 in front of me was not as quick as me. But he was a good, courteous driver throughout the day. His car was solid and so was he. There is no passing in 11 and since he always took the inside line with his car and I could pull him in the straights, I stayed off his ass (no drama) and just carried a little more momentum than him in 11, showed him the car in his mirror and he waived me by.

Randal was pushing me to take that very inside line on the paint. But I had a tough day looking out ahead. I was trying to concentrate on getting comfy with the car. Next time I will go inside in 11.

As far as not tracking out to the berm in 10, I am playing with the gradual "bring speed up" technique. I could get to 102MPH approaching 10 according to my data logger, but I was braking very conservatively on the rumble strip before 10 and consequently didn't need any additional room for the turn in and subsequent exit. Actual entry speed into the apex of 10 is 87MPH and exit is 90MPH according to the log.

I know that if I easily pull the car into the middle of the track I have plenty of speed in the turn to find. I already knew that since I was taking it easy, but I learn in my own way and I make myself comfortable before I dial it up another notch.

Thanks to Trekkor we can see that at 90MPH through the exit of 10 the Speq Boxster is relatively flat. Suspension is working and the car looks stable. clap56.gif

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Ah...two words...."I suck!"....

bs.gif

It is more than acceptable to be cautious when dancing with a new girl!!

I wasnt sure if this was shot at the end of the day or the beginning?

I hear you about "filling" the mirrors of a newbie and scaring the shit out of them..lol in the wrong corner to do that kind of stuff (11)

90mph is moving along nicely!!

Do you like this car? biggrin.gif

B
Trekkor
I'm bummed my car broke down. I would have loved to chased you around with the camera going in the afternoon.

KT
nine14cats
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 14 2006, 04:53 PM) *

tasty chowtime.gif

KT

Thanks Trekkor! smiley_notworthy.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 14 2006, 05:07 PM) *

Car looks nice a flat through 10. Are you braking at all? I thought I saw the nose go down a little bit.

I would assume you are flat through there?

B

No tap...that is a lift...which is not needed considering that I could bring the car into the middle of the track between 10 and 11.

Bill P.
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 14 2006, 05:10 PM) *

I noticed that you are still braking under turn in for 11 in video number2. Is this needed? Does the car understeer if you dont brake during turn in ? right there? Could you brake sooner and get back on the gas sooner?

B

I can't believe you caught the trail brake there? I dialed in more push into the car to keep myself comfortable since this was the last session and Randal and I decided to pick up the pace to get below 2:00. Didn't quite get there, but I stiffened the front shocks and the car had a slight push. Nothing major at all. But I was trying to utilize Randal's line and rotate the car inside on the turn. So a little trail braking. But as you can see, I didn't stand the car on it's nose like an AX. Those tires aren't against that K wall for looks!

Bill P.
Trekkor
The red 911 guy ( Toby ) is very alert to traffic and always gives the pass without ego. Smart driver. He had just moved into the high intermediate group that afternoon.

We have run together with TMR all year.

Part of the driver's meeting with trackmasters reminds us to "present ourselves" in the slower car's mirror and wait for the point-by.

I'll never move up to advanced where open passing without the point is allowed.

KT
nine14cats
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 14 2006, 05:25 PM) *

I'm bummed my car broke down. I would have loved to chased you around with the camera going in the afternoon.

KT

It was unfortunate that you broke down Trekkor. I think if we went out together as planned for that last session we would have been in the 59's. Ah well...next time!

Bill P.
Trekkor
I'm not a fast driver by any means, but I know your lap times will drop big time, as my car enters 10 at 97mph and exits at 105mph ohmy.gif

You should be able to carry more speed than me through there with all that tire.

My fastest times ( 2:00 ) leaves me a few inches off the exit strip/berm.
That's close enough for me.

I've seen maniac racers from this same vantage point drop BOTH driver's side wheels in the dirt at the end of the exit of 10 after the rumble strip...INSANE!!

KT
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 14 2006, 05:23 PM) *

Ah...two words...."I suck!"....

bs.gif

It is more than acceptable to be cautious when dancing with a new girl!!

I wasnt sure if this was shot at the end of the day or the beginning?

I hear you about "filling" the mirrors of a newbie and scaring the shit out of them..lol in the wrong corner to do that kind of stuff (11)

90mph is moving along nicely!!

Do you like this car? biggrin.gif

B

Do I like this car?

Oh Yeah! Many of us have thought the Boxster would be a good track platform but there hasn't been more than a few to try and get one battle ready. Just like Trekkor's short movies show, the car is stable. And if I had hooked up my in car camera you would have seen us driving around in a very predictable, conservative manner. No driving at the limit, none of it.

I'm convinced we will eventually be very quick in this car on the track. One year from now we will have some very respectable times. And all of this from a 2.5L base boxster. The car is fun to drive. Reminds me of my 914-6.

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Bill,

beleive it or not.. I'm very familiar "coaching" with VERY little information. I take it all in. Give me as much information as possible and my "educated" guesses will be more accurate.

I would like to see some pics from David Wong. Did you happen to buy a CD from him? Can you ?? He can get into area's that will really show us what the car is doing in several turns.

A lot of "Team Engineers" dont drive.. this leaves something out in their "setups". They dont dont know what the car is doing in real life.. just what they can see in data acq and video. Driving these tracks adds another element to the "coaching".

B
nine14cats
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 14 2006, 05:43 PM) *

I'm not a fast driver by any means, but I know your lap times will drop big time, as my car enters 10 at 97mph and exits at 105mph ohmy.gif

You should be able to carry more speed than me through there with all that tire.

My fastest times ( 2:00 ) leaves me a few inches off the exit strip/berm.
That's close enough for me.

I've seen maniac racers from this same vantage point drop BOTH driver's side wheels in the dirt at the end of the exit of 10 after the rumble strip...INSANE!!

KT

We'll need to put my datalogger in your car and check out how many g's you're pulling through there.

As far as putting two wheels off in 10....I'd need to change my shorts with that wall right there!

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
I knew it would be VERY important to your driving future to help you get into a car that Doris could drive and get up to speed quickly in it. I personally beleive she will find it more rewarding than you do!!

I also beleive you will be a LOT faster in the 911 or the 914 later on.

Oh.. dont be afraid of coasting. Nathan will tell you: "we coast in karts" you are driving an overgrown go kart. It may be better to coast in certain situations. It took me awhile to get into this thought process. It was professional kart instruction that taught me this (over the last 2 years)

B
Brad Roberts
Trek,

what do you have that is telling you the entrance and exit speed for 10?

Curious

B
Trekkor
datalogger in your car

That would be awesome.

If you watched my in-car from my run in October, ( 2:01 ) , it would be interesting to compare your speeds to mine in various "key" turns at their apexes.

2- 57mph
6- 80mph
9- 100mph
10- 100mph

Thanks

Based on video from in-car where the tach is visible, then using gear rpm-speed spreadsheet.
"S" 4th@ 6700 rpms=97mph, for example.

Also quick "sneak-a-peeks" while driving. My speedo reads 10 mph fast. dry.gif

KT
DanT
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Nov 14 2006, 05:43 PM) *

Do I like this car?

Oh Yeah! Many of us have thought the Boxster would be a good track platform but there hasn't been more than a few to try and get one battle ready. Just like Trekkor's short movies show, the car is stable. And if I had hooked up my in car camera you would have seen us driving around in a very predictable, conservative manner. No driving at the limit, none of it.

I'm convinced we will eventually be very quick in this car on the track. One year from now we will have some very respectable times. And all of this from a 2.5L base boxster. The car is fun to drive. Reminds me of my 914-6.

Bill P.

I believe we had this conversation last year about this time before you bought Fritz...
when you were looking at a SB (spec Box) to purchase or Fritz...

I felt then as I do now that the SB is a great platform and will become more popular as folks see what you have done....First real SB in Norcal for folks to see and touch... biggrin.gif

The more Ken Mack looks at the pics of the build he keeps giving me that look of "we should be doing one of these" blink.gif

I can hardly wait to instruct Doris in Lucille next year....this is going to be lots of fun and I am sure that she is going to love the way the SB drives.

In the Vids that Trekkor took the car looks very stable and should be very quick once it is dialed in...
I guess there will be no more bench racing (fibbing) about the drivers performance with the "nanny" on board dry.gif burnout.gif

I promise not to turn quicker times than you with Doris in the passenger seat....
where is that Laguna video? smile.gif
Trekkor
I don't know what I was thinking.
I should have asked for a ride with you, Bill. headbang.gif

KT
Brad Roberts
Dan,

Can you make it Thill in Dec.? I may make the drive up with the black car.

I would like instruction from you if it all possible.. or a Buttonwillow day..

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.