Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gutting a Door for Paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Trying to strip the innards of the doors for paint but, after a look I'm not too sure as to the best way to do it.

The vent window looks like it is only held in by the adjustment screw at the bottom of the door and the seal.

And how the hell do you get the glass and mechanism out?

Anybody got a step by step instruction manual for a 4th grade graduate like me.

Jeez...
So.Cal.914
Early doors are different than late doors but both are easily done. I think it is

two screws on the bottem and the rest are behind the door panel, unbolt and

remove. Careful of the glass.
G e o r g e
vent window has 3 bolts 1 down in door 2 high right behind vent window.

you have to un screw the bottom bolt after you remove the nut (standard screw driver)
Allan
Still can't figure this freakihg thing out. I found 2 bolts inside the door and the screw/nut at the bottom but I'll be damned if I can get any thing out. Anybody wanna educate me with a sequence on removing everything from the doors?
tyler
I just took mine out. If you really get stuck I can take some pictures. I think all the above is correct plus two more things; check the rubber seal, it goes around the vent window then there's a flap (usually gone from wear) that goes done the front of the door and attaches with either a screw or a rubber nob. The other thing is that the assembly fits really tight and when you're fighting it to get it out, you have to be sure the vent window doesn't fall out of the rubber.

QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 15 2006, 11:40 AM) *

Still can't figure this freakihg thing out. I found 2 bolts inside the door and the screw/nut at the bottom but I'll be damned if I can get any thing out. Anybody wanna educate me with a sequence on removing everything from the doors?

tyler
Another thing - everything should come out without too much trouble but you may want to leave the lock rod in place. It's unlikely the rubber blocks that hold it in will come out very easily and they might be difficult to find for replacement.
markb
I would take the vent window glass out before working on the rubber. If you take the cap piece off (2 small screws from inside the rail), the vent window should pull out.

G e o r g e
red lines to vent window screws
Allan
Thanks guys.

Got the vent window and the door glass out.

I'm thinking I don't want to screw around with the mechanism so I'll leave it in.

Is the outside handle just held on with 1 bolt?
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 15 2006, 12:16 PM) *

Thanks guys.

Got the vent window and the door glass out.

I'm thinking I don't want to screw around with the mechanism so I'll leave it in.

Is the outside handle just held on with 1 bolt?

2, the one on the outside edge and the allen bolt up in the door

pelican has a nice article on how to remove and repair beerchug.gif
Joe Ricard
Outside handle is held on with one 10mm nut on the outside and one 4.5mm cap screw inside. It's easy to acces when you get a U-joint installed in your wrist about 3" up from your hand.

OK it's a real bitch to get at.
Allan
F^ck the door...

How the hell do you get the turn signal buckets out???????
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 16 2006, 05:59 PM) *

F^ck the door...

How the hell do you get the turn signal buckets out???????

turn tires one direction, or remove.

there is a nut on the back on a bracket, loosen trun bracket push out beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.