Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint & Body Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I have finally realized headbang.gif that if I try to do the bodywork on my car it'll take at least 15 years.

Is there anyone who can recommend a good body shop or bodyman who might be willing to prep my car?

I have a really good painter who will shoot the car for free but, it takes an act of congress to get him over here to spend some quality time when it comes to doing the prep work.

Anyone?
sww914
pm sent.
Allan
PM sent...

Thanks...
rick 918-S
They don't call it body WORK for nothing... happy11.gif Don't feel bad. Your not the first guy to have a moment of clarity. blink.gif
GWN7
Painters don't like to do body work......that's why they paint smile.gif
Allan
QUOTE(sww914 @ Nov 14 2006, 05:20 PM) *

pm sent.

QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 14 2006, 07:07 PM) *

PM sent...

Thanks...

Pics sent.
Trekkor
Call Brandon at Altissimo Restoration in Napa. 707-253-7246

he might be willing to help you.

KT
JB 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 14 2006, 08:10 PM) *

They don't call it body WORK for nothing... happy11.gif Don't feel bad. Your not the first guy to have a moment of clarity. blink.gif

agree.gif barf.gif

too bad you are not close to TJ. then you can get it prepped there and sprayed with your local guy.
Kersey
A smart fellow would have one man responsible for the job being done right. Do not take this wrong, there are some good honest body men but they are all working for someone for top dollar. If your committed to this plan a word of advice, Get yourself some lubricant your going to need it. Spend the money and go to a reputable business that will stand behind the job, you will be happy you did it in the end.

Paul
Allan
Here we go. My car is going to another 914 fan to get her skin ready for a nice coat of DuPont Stone Grey Metallic paint. I'll post pics as they come in from Steve and my neighbor (the DuPont guy).
Allan
QUOTE(Kersey @ Nov 17 2006, 08:28 PM) *

A smart fellow would have one man responsible for the job being done right. Do not take this wrong, there are some good honest body men but they are all working for someone for top dollar. If your committed to this plan a word of advice, Get yourself some lubricant your going to need it. Spend the money and go to a reputable business that will stand behind the job, you will be happy you did it in the end.

Paul

I appreciate the advice. I think this puppy is gonna rock the 914 world as far as paint goes. I trust Steve and I have seen the miracles that my neighbor (the DuPont guy) can work on the cars he paints...
sww914
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jan 8 2007, 06:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Kersey @ Nov 17 2006, 08:28 PM) *

Paul

I appreciate the advice. I think this puppy is gonna rock the 914 world as far as paint goes. I trust Steve and I have seen the miracles that my neighbor (the DuPont guy) can work on the cars he paints...

Thanks! I aspire to meet your expectations.
Allan
Hit the road today to deliver the car to Steve.

Here's a pic of a collectible P car at the James Dean memorial (cept this ones not all wadded up).
Allan
Here's Steves track beast...
Allan
Been awhile so I thought I would update with some pics of the progress.

VaccaRabite
I want a stud welder in the worst way. But I m past the point now where it would be uber helpful.

If I do this again, I am going to get a stud welder...

Zach
Allan
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 29 2007, 04:45 PM) *

I want a stud welder in the worst way. But I m past the point now where it would be uber helpful.

Zach

I'm stupid... drunk.gif

What's a stud welder???
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jan 29 2007, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 29 2007, 04:45 PM) *

Zach

I'm stupid... drunk.gif

What's a stud welder???

those studs on your door you use to pull the panel out...

intead of drilling holes and using a slide hammer...

Andyrew
You still use a slide hammer.. You just dont use screws to attach it..

When your done with the slide hammer you grind off the studs, really nice tool (expensive too..)
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 29 2007, 09:18 PM) *

You still use a slide hammer.. You just dont use screws to attach it..

When your done with the slide hammer you grind off the studs, really nice tool (expensive too..)

right... but you don't drill holes smile.gif and HF had stud welders for 100 bucks
Allan
brt
markb
clap56.gif
Aaron Cox
yay!
rhodyguy
for heavens's sake. go buy some canvas skins for the wheels. nice progress allan.

k
sww914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 14 2007, 03:59 PM) *

for heavens's sake. go buy some canvas skins for the wheels. nice progress allan.

k

It's just dust.
When I primer, I mask off the whole wheel well to prevent overspray on the suspension, engine, tranny, etc.
The canvas covers only cover the wheel, not all of the other stuff, and I had to remove the paper to access the wheel well lip for repair.
Allan
ploop
Allan
lottt
Allan
Getting close to primer.
Allan
huplle
Allan
VOTE FOR ME!!!!!

Aaron & Ron
Allan
Yippee, primer!!!
DanT
looking good....is it going to be the same color it was prior to all the body work?
Allan
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Feb 20 2007, 09:21 PM) *

looking good....is it going to be the same color it was prior to all the body work?

Yep, Porsche Stone Grey Metallic...
orange914
sure looks like its comin along... good job!
Aaron Cox
nice dude!!!
race914
Looking good guys! thumb3d.gif

Allan
Sheee's home!!!
Allan
See Ma, no dents... biggrin.gif
markb
Nice! clap56.gif
race914
Allan,

Your car is looking really good. Can't wait to see it all done!

Maybe at the June PCA-CCCR/GGR Buttonwillow track event????

Greg
Aaron Cox
very nice!

whats the damage $$$?
Allan
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 3 2007, 06:08 PM) *

very nice!

whats the damage $$$?

I'm hoping to keep it under $2k...
Allan
QUOTE(race914 @ Mar 3 2007, 06:01 PM) *

Allan,

Your car is looking really good. Can't wait to see it all done!

Maybe at the June PCA-CCCR/GGR Buttonwillow track event????

Greg

Greg,

I'd love to see you and yer track beast again in the near future. I have been checking in with both the POC and PCA.

Looks like the PCA may better fit for my schedule. It seems to offer alot for the newbie...

Like Aaron!!! aktion035.gif
Allan
Just an update. My paint guy came over and we were able to knock out quite a bit today. Got the rocker panels and the top of the targa bar all straightened out, and fixed some cracks in the brand new fiberglass /6 rear valance. dry.gif

Tomorrow we are going to push (gas tank is out) the car over into his garage and he is going to hit everything with primer.

Hopefully, the car might actually have new paint next weekend.... mueba.gif
Allan
Got all the little bits and pieces finished today. Rockers came out really nice.

It looks like the target day for paint is this Friday with the final block being done on Thursday evening. boldblue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.