Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 07 SCCA GCR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
okieflyr
I'm considering going to real racin' slicks for 07. But I came across this online for the GCR for 07, and it looks like I may have to stay with my DOT Hoosiers in XP for next year.... Anybody else read it this way? Prepared Section 9.1.4. (no kidding) Page 348. I know that there are at least a couple of other suspects around here that may be impacted.... There is talk in the rules header of World Cup Cars, am I looking at the correct set? confused24.gif KB
jhadler
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Nov 14 2006, 06:50 PM) *

I'm considering going to real racin' slicks for 07. But I came across this online for the GCR for 07, and it looks like I may have to stay with my DOT Hoosiers in XP for next year.... Anybody else read it this way? Prepared Section 9.1.4. (no kidding) Page 348. I know that there are at least a couple of other suspects around here that may be impacted.... There is talk in the rules header of World Cup Cars, am I looking at the correct set? confused24.gif KB

You're looking at the GCR, General Competion Rules for Club Racing. This is NOT the rules set for Solo/Autox. For the 2006 Solo rules, go here.

XP, unlike some of the other Prepared classes, is NOT a parallel to Production class road racing cars.

-Josh2
okieflyr
Thanks Josh, I do have the 06 rules, that's why things didn't seem right.
But, I should have done more investigating. Thanks again.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Nov 15 2006, 07:13 PM) *

Holy crap You scared the shit out of me. chair.gif Slicks rule there is no substitue in the summer. You can run them to 150 degrees all day long with two drivers going back to back in 105 degree heat.

However as you may know they are not worth a shit when you can't get up to at least 100 degrees. So winter in a challange. I am thinking of getting some of the foil bubble wrap insulation and wrapping the car like a fence. leave the engine running and use the engine heat to get some heat in the tires.

Might be just the ticket for Nationals if it is cold again.
Randal
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 18 2006, 05:37 AM) *

QUOTE(okieflyr @ Nov 15 2006, 07:13 PM) *

Holy crap You scared the shit out of me. chair.gif Slicks rule there is no substitue in the summer. You can run them to 150 degrees all day long with two drivers going back to back in 105 degree heat.

However as you may know they are not worth a shit when you can't get up to at least 100 degrees. So winter in a challange. I am thinking of getting some of the foil bubble wrap insulation and wrapping the car like a fence. leave the engine running and use the engine heat to get some heat in the tires.

"I am thinking of getting some of the foil bubble wrap insulation and wrapping the car like a fence. leave the engine running and use the engine heat to get some heat in the tires."

That might not be a very good idea as you'll also be adding more heat than necessary to everything else and you could have a failure somwhere and poof the entire package. biggrin.gif

Why not use tire warmers, or what do the rules allow?
J P Stein
Tire warmers are not legal in SCCA AX, but tire blankets are.
okieflyr
Sorry bout the false alarm guys, just got ahead of myself.... wacko.gif
Tire heat for my fronts could come from the radiator, just not sure about the rears.
We run a winter series hear in the Philly region, cold IS a factor. KB
jhadler

It's a good idea, but be preapred to be protested. Tire warmers are not allowed, and that applies to ANY active tire warming method. Yup, the "picket fence" approach has been used in the past, and the only way it didn't draw a protest was that the engine had to be off. However, even that has changed, and the "picket fence" idea is no longer kosher.

And just be aware, they're considering banning any and all tire warming devices at Nationals. That even includes regular old tire blankets.

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(jhadler @ Nov 19 2006, 02:27 AM) *

It's a good idea, but be preapred to be protested. Tire warmers are not allowed, and that applies to ANY active tire warming method. Yup, the "picket fence" approach has been used in the past, and the only way it didn't draw a protest was that the engine had to be off. However, even that has changed, and the "picket fence" idea is no longer kosher.

And just be aware, they're considering banning any and all tire warming devices at Nationals. That even includes regular old tire blankets.

-Josh2

SO the cheating bastards that put thier tires in the enclosed trailer @120 degrees over night is Legal??????????
for a 914 the picket fence is the only viable solution as I can't get the blanket inbetween the fender and tire.

jhadler
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 20 2006, 11:53 AM) *

QUOTE(jhadler @ Nov 19 2006, 02:27 AM) *

-Josh2

SO the cheating bastards that put thier tires in the enclosed trailer @120 degrees over night is Legal??????????
for a 914 the picket fence is the only viable solution as I can't get the blanket inbetween the fender and tire.

There's nothing they can do outside of the grid. So if you want to cook away your tires overnight in your hotel room, there's nothing they can do to stop that. But once the car hits the grid, you're pretty limited. Now, that's not to say that you can't -try- the picket fence. But it'll be a tightrope walk. Definitely do not run the motor at any time that it's on though. All it'll take is someone to take issue with it. And that's only untill they decide to ban all passive methods. Which I think is a BAD idea anyway. The banning of the passive heat blankets that is... Geez, it's really gonna hurt the folks that don't have co-drivers...

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
So we go to look at the results for this years Nationals.
The guys with slicks got dealt a shitty hand having to run early in very cold temps.

If I am able to go I will show up with 2 drivers and new Hoosier R25A or Goodyear R250 tires. and a set of rains.
Can you imagine how much heat you could generate with fence and the engine running? holy crap!
jhadler
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 20 2006, 06:15 PM) *

So we go to look at the results for this years Nationals.
The guys with slicks got dealt a shitty hand having to run early in very cold temps.

Sure, running in the morning isn't great, but it was far less of an impact than the surface itself was. Brand new asphalt SUCKS for running a large autox event on. Now don't get me wrong, a giant pad of asphalt is darn near a perfect thing for an autox site. But fresh, unscuffed asphalt is terrible. The sand and grit comes up when the sticky tires run over it. Buy the end of the second day, there were quite literally PILES of sand at the outside of the turns on the course. The dissadvantage for the big slicks was that they couldn't get enough grip with all the sand and grit their tires were pulling up off the surface. Even the DOT tired cars had problems with the grit early on.

Now, in a couple of years, when the pad has been nice and worn in, it'll be an autox nirvana. But for now, the DOT AWD cars will gain an upper hand.

If I am able to go I will show up with 2 drivers and new Hoosier R25A or Goodyear R250 tires. and a set of rains.
Can you imagine how much heat you could generate with fence and the engine running? holy crap!

Of course, but there's no way anyone will let you fence the car with the engine running. Off, maybe. On, not a chance. It's an active heat source, and pretty clearly against the intent, if not the actual letter, of the rules. And leaving the motor on _will_ draw a protest.

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
Hey Josh check out page 79 of Sports car. I believe that is the 3 rotor SM2 RX-7.
Insulated fences around the car are COOL. I mean HOT.
jhadler
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 22 2006, 07:46 PM) *

Hey Josh check out page 79 of Sports car. I believe that is the 3 rotor SM2 RX-7.
Insulated fences around the car are COOL. I mean HOT.

Haven't gotten the latest SportsCar yet, but I believe you. The fence is still tacitly accepted right now (with the engine off), but the talk is about banning all heat retention devices.

-Josh2
J P Stein
I saw the pic, it needs banning.....like another of Trekkor's wet dreams biggrin.gif

The most effective legal tire warmer is another driver. Tho I can't confirm it, it appears most of the class winners had a spare body standing in.

The 2 local guys (that I know of) that went had dual driver cars. All trophied.
jhadler
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 23 2006, 08:55 AM) *

I saw the pic, it needs banning.....like another of Trekkor's wet dreams biggrin.gif

The most effective legal tire warmer is another driver. Tho I can't confirm it, it appears most of the class winners had a spare body standing in.

The 2 local guys (that I know of) that went had dual driver cars. All trophied.

Which is why a co-driver is affectionately refered to as a "tire warmer"... biggrin.gif

Yeah, most of the championship winners had co-drivers...

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
Unfortunately if Hassan drives my car that means I am the tire warmer.

We are making plans now Splitters and wings and new rubber new Shocks and new engine.

anyone wanna rent me a Raby motor for Nationals?
jhadler
Hey Joe,

I just got my copy of SportsCar, and saw the pic of the RX-7 with the "picket fence"... Should mention one thing in particular... It's in the paddock, not the grid. You can do pretty much anything you want in the paddock, but once your car is in grid, you'll be much more limited...

And you can't just roll to the start line from the paddock. Cars have to be in grid well before the green flag drops...

-Josh2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.