Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help troubleshooting my starter problem...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zehrschnell914
About 18 months ago, I nearly melted down when my wife called me to say that my 914 had seized up on her. She started the car, drove about 100 feet and it made a squeaky grinding sound followed by an immediate halt. I towed it home and put it up on jackstands in my garage (my 914 is most happy when on jackstands).

I thought that the engine must be seized and was so pissed that I wouldn't even touch it for about a year. Anyway, I messed with it enough to figure out that it was not seized. What I recently discovered is that the starter was seized, and I think I know why. I just purchased a rebuilt starter and installed it. When I connected the ground cable to the battery, the starter instantly began to turn. The key wasn't even in the ignition, so I'm guessing that the ignition switch is bad. One other thing I noted is that the bendix on the starter did not kick the gear out to engage the flywheel, so it looks like I still have 2 problems.

I removed the starter again and was going to take it in to have it tested/replaced, but thought I would seek the wisdom of the 914 club first. Here are my questions:

1. Is it likely that my rebuilt starter is faulty or am I missing something simple?

2. How do I remove the ignition switch (the white electrical part)?

I remember replacing the ignition switch on my last 914, but it's been several years and I can't remember how to get the darned thing out.

Thanks,

Mike

Cap'n Krusty
Lemme guess. FLAPS starter, right?

If the key wasn't on and the starter spun, the starter's junk.
If it spun, and the wires were installed correctly, the starter's junk.
If it spun without extending the gear, and it's wired correctly, the starter's junk.
If it's not a GENUINE Bosch remanufactured or new SR 17X, the starter's junk.

The battery cable goes on the outer large (8mm) post. The inner post has the wire that makes the starter spin after the solenoid energizes.
The wire from the switch is attached to the spade lug on the solenoid, always the one nearest the top. MOST starters for 914s have 2 lugs in this position, and they're functionally the same. SOME starters have an additional lug on the bottom of the solenoid. This lug is never used in a 914 application.
The solenoid energizes when the key is turned on.

You need to be sure the wires are in the correct positions, then you can decide if the starter's the problem. The Cap'n
zehrschnell914
Cap'n,

Actually, it is a Bosch rebuilt starter. It had been quite a while since I had removed the wires from the old starter, so I checked the continuity between the large posts and attached the negative wire to the post that was grounded to the case of the starter. At this point, I'm pretty sure that both the ignition switch and the starter are junk, but wanted to check before taking the starter back. Thank you very much for the advice and I will definitely stay away from the FLAPS starter.

Mike (SM2)
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(zehrschnell914 @ Nov 15 2006, 08:32 PM) *

Cap'n,

Actually, it is a Bosch rebuilt starter. It had been quite a while since I had removed the wires from the old starter, so I checked the continuity between the large posts and attached the negative wire to the post that was grounded to the case of the starter. At this point, I'm pretty sure that both the ignition switch and the starter are junk, but wanted to check before taking the starter back. Thank you very much for the advice and I will definitely stay away from the FLAPS starter.

Mike (SM2)

OOPS! Battery cable to the outer large post. The copper braided wire goes from the
inner post to the starter. The yellow "trigger" wire goes to the spade lug on the top of the solenoid. THERE IS NO GROUND WIRE ON THE STARTER!!!!!!! The Cap'n
dmenche914
Yep, sound slike a miss wire, power tot eh starter motor, but none to the solinoid. try re-wire. good luck, glad the motor was not siezed. what was the probelm?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.