Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cutting apart center tunnel and adding an access plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
Alright, I have come to the point where I am routing my cables back into my car and I realized my clutch tube is completely broken loose...I want to repair it. I saw a 6 race car car at the D and G swap meet with an aluminum access plate. Was pretty bitching and he cut his apart to fix the clutch tube..then decided to make the plate for easy access rather than welding it shut. I already have inner long stiffeners in my car, so If I cut out most of the top, but leave a couple of ribs in it, and the the shifter base metal, should I be ok? I will be using a diamond plate knockoff that is aluminum (so it will be light) that is screwed in (and later dzused mounted). What do you guys think? Will it be structurally sound, since I already have stiffeners, and leave a couple ribbed areas in the tunnel? idea.gif
So.Cal.914
That supports the inner edge of the floor panels and what weight you are going to

put on it, I don't know if I would cut that much out of it. My .02
Trekkor
I'm going to do this. maybe this week.

I'll cut a hole that is concealed by the center guage console so i can weld the clutch tube back in place as well.

There is an acces hole and plate right before the rear firewall and the shifter is mounted onto a hole, too.

I can't imagine another small hole on the top of the tunnel will hurt anything.

KT
McMark
What the heck do you need an access hole for once you're done welding? confused24.gif
gopack
My DAPO cut a big ass hole in the top of the center tunnel, and i was planning on leaving it there. It seems as if it will just make things easier. Here is a picture of it with the floor missing, (I knew I had to say that BEFORE some Smart Ass said the hole was WAY TOO BIG!)

OPINIONS?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.