Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there anyplace I can send my dash to have it redone?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
I can't seem to find a place. I don't mind shipping it at all. But where can I get this done at?

I look at those new 911s with there hand stitched leather dash and I am envious biggrin.gif

Thanks

Kinda get the impression no one on the east coast does custom interior work.
markb
Check with Craig at Camp914 (boxstr). I believe he has someone that does them for him. Not cheap, but very nice.
jwalters
The evil doctor does this -
dlo914
QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 15 2006, 12:00 PM) *

The evil doctor does this -

agree.gif but he might be busy w/ school n all.
Crazyhippy
Look for an auto upholstry shop that does Hot rods... should be able to find someone locally

BJH
Dr Evil
Nope, I am out of that biz as of July 05....Mexico is too far of a commute. too bad for you, I could have had it done for like $225 or so. Ah, the memories...
MrKona
Check with James here in Oregon. There's a picture of restitched dash here

Scroll down...
jwalters
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 15 2006, 06:40 PM) *

Nope, I am out of that biz as of July 05....Mexico is too far of a commute. too bad for you, I could have had it done for like $225 or so. Ah, the memories...

AHHHHHHHH SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Grasshoppah! The Master has taught you well see I.

biggrin.gif
turboman808
Found someone in NJ on Craigslist. Gonna take a look at his work. But if it is not so good I will send it to someone on the board. Already got his door panels and they look good(Sitting on my dresser still).
Dr Evil
Who is doing door panels now?
morph
happy11.gif
ptravnic
Nate - if you have success w/the guy in NJ please let us in the area know. Good luck w/the dash!

-pt
SLKWrx
Definitely interested in finding the guy in NJ who does this. There is a marine upholstery shop down near my house that I have yet to check out. Need to finish painting the car before I can start thinking of the dash.

Let us know how it turns out.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(morph @ Nov 16 2006, 01:09 AM) *

happy11.gif

Its always good to have them mention your name if they have and like your products wink.gif

Always looking out!
turboman808
He sent me a couple of pictures of stuff he did. Looks like good work although a bit cheesy but thats what the customer wanted.

Here is the email and info....

ford probe gt, for the dash i could do in like the criss cross, or baseball stitching what ever kind of stitch you want, it would be njice to take a look at your car first. Do you want to whole dash covered or half.
thanks,
steve

boostafed@optonline.net

turboman808
Here he sent me a few more. His stuff looks really good.

The roof looks really nice.

Dr Evil
The first car doesnt look to well and it is in vinyl. The stitching does not look clean, and the bead on the door between the two vinyl types looks all jacked up. The second looks excellent. Vinyl is harder to work with than cloth. Not as streatchy and requires finess to heat it to get it to mold right to complex curves. However, if the price is right and he is willing to rework it until you are happy then go for it!
turboman808
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 16 2006, 12:14 PM) *

The first car doesnt look to well and it is in vinyl. The stitching does not look clean, and the bead on the door between the two vinyl types looks all jacked up. The second looks excellent. Vinyl is harder to work with than cloth. Not as streatchy and requires finess to heat it to get it to mold right to complex curves. However, if the price is right and he is willing to rework it until you are happy then go for it!

I think the door is still missing a trim peice. The seat yeah not the best.

I'm willing to let him try doing my dash.
Now how do I take the dash off the car? confused24.gif

Oh by the way Dr Evil do you have a picture of one of the ones you got done so I can show him. I saw one in a thread here but I cannot find it now.
ptravnic
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Nov 16 2006, 03:37 PM) *

There are 13mm head plastic nuts that are a bit tough to get to but they are under there. Take off the lower knee pad dash piece and then take out the air vents. You'll be able to see/get to the plastic nuts...a bendable extension to the socket wrench is your friend...

nycchef
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Nov 16 2006, 12:47 PM) *

There are 13mm head plastic nuts that are a bit tough to get to but they are under there. Take off the lower knee pad dash piece and then take out the air vents. You'll be able to see/get to the plastic nuts...a bendable extension to the socket wrench is your friend...
nate stop screwing with that car and just drive it! by the way do you still have acess to a bead blaster?
turboman808
QUOTE(nycchef @ Nov 16 2006, 12:54 PM) *

QUOTE(ptravnic @ Nov 16 2006, 12:47 PM) *

nate stop screwing with that car and just drive it! by the way do you still have acess to a bead blaster?

You mean that one that works for shit?!?! I'm not allowed to change the media and whats in there is way soft. They use it mainly to remove residue from the plasma thing a majig. Don't ask because I don't know biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Lemme see what I can find. the one in my car does not have the stitching across the top front of the gauge pod, only the sides.Click to view attachment

Here are the locations of the studs and nuts that you need to remove (x9).
Dr Evil
The last two pics. To remive you need to remove your side vents, your gauge cluster, your radio, and your ashtray. This will make it easy and fast. The worst two are the two in the channel at the back of the gauge pod. I use a pair of angled needle nose pliers. They are plastic nuts and not torqued enough to warrent exclusive use of a socket. I used a leatherman most of the time, but then again I am the man and have done this a few dozen times. wink.gif
Dr Evil
Here is mine mounted (not very close up, but still can see how clean it installs).
Dr Evil
For your guy, tell him it is best to fill the cracks in with a good durable filler and then have him place a 1/16" foam layer under the new vinyl. This will allow the dash vinyl to streatch and breath without tearing or cracking and covers up any imperfections.
nycchef
hey mike are those zebra skins for your car or is that what the trendy med student is wearing these days?
Dr Evil
Just a crappy office chair that I have wink.gif
turboman808
Thanks for all the help. But dam I may change my mind and go with that zebra print.
wbergtho
Original Fit Interiors does a nice job on custom stitching & covering. I had them do my 911 style dash in leather...but it took forever to get it back!!!
Dr Evil
Do you mind telling how much that cost? I was offering to do dashes for the 911 community when I first started doing dashes and they were gonna look like yours. The 911 guys over at PP told me that unless I did it without the stitch, and re PVCed the dash like Original Fit (IIRC, not sure of the company) they wanted nothing to do with me and how dare I peddle such sub standard material to them. Needless to say, I didnt do any biz with the 911 guys from that point on.

I like your dash. It dosent look bad at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.