Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT:What I did the other day.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
so I wanted a TiVo. I didn't like the boxes that were provided, so I pieced together my own box.

200+ hours of recording over regular cable.
DVD/RW
MP3 capability
Remote Control
2 TV tuners- I can record one thing and watch something else, or do Picture In Picture

It's awesome smile.gif

It was about 150 bucks for the whole thing
turboman808
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Nov 15 2006, 04:05 PM) *

so I wanted a TiVo. I didn't like the boxes that were provided, so I pieced together my own box.

200+ hours of recording over regular cable.
DVD/RW
MP3 capability
Remote Control
2 TV tuners- I can record one thing and watch something else, or do Picture In Picture

It's awesome smile.gif

Sounds fun. Did a HTPC and network back at my old place. It was rather cool.
bd1308
MythTV I used for everything, had to compile everything from scratch.

I am goign to add another TV tuner, so i'll have 3 in all.
smontanaro
Got specs for the various bits?

Thx,

Skip
bd1308
p4 1.7Ghz cpu (lying around--has rambus ram smile.gif )
ubuntu edgy <-- the OS
320GB Hard drive for movies only
120GB hdd for OS
2xPVR-150 Tv Tuners, which feature MPEG hardware encoding.
15 inch LCD monitor
DVD/RW drive (IDE)

future addition will include a PVR-350, which features a MPEG hardware decoder and TV out.
does that help
bd1308
I'm trying to sell off some of my computers, I had eleven I think i'm down to six plus a box of parts laptops.
turboman808
I think one of the best things I did home entertainment wise with computers was build a computer based video scaler. Such a difference in quality. I had dam near blue ray quality 3 years ago. Don't ask me what I used I can't remeber. AVSforums has alot of great info though.

bd1308
See, I'm not really intrested in quality. Basic cable is still 'da bomb for me, and I dont watch any TV till 3am blink.gif

cant figure out why my p4 falls on its face encoding DVDs to divx. even my 400 G4 powerbook could do it...took a metric shithour to complete, but it looked great.

Guess its time for the 3800+ Amd 64
smontanaro
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Nov 15 2006, 07:08 PM) *

p4 1.7Ghz cpu (lying around--has rambus ram smile.gif )
does that help

Yes indeed. Thanks...

Skip
bd1308
by using the PVR series cards, you really dont need a monster of a computer, except for commerical sensing and transcoding.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.