Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC - OT -- Maybe moving to OKC, OK
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MBowman325
I've been offered a position up in OKC with an offer coming on Friday for pay. If I take the job, I'll have two weeks to get everything sorted, packed and figured out here. I just started the last stretch of vacation today, the rest of which disappears the moment I give my notice.

Depending on the offer that they come with on Friday, I may be in the area Saturday looking for places to live that are friendly to a dog, because I don't wanna do a 4 hours commute/day.

Any advice on areas of OKC to stay away from or whatever you may have would be grand. I haven't worked out in my head yet how I'm gonna take care of my house here and get something up there. (May rent my current house out or something...) I have a decent idea on how to move my cars up there, or where to store them for a short period.

Also, if someone could explain to me how they figure State Income tax, that'd be great. I couldn't figure out what to do with the other columns in the equation they gave. (Or maybe I didn't want to understand smile.gif )

The job, by the way, is gold level server support with Dell.

Anyways, hints, tips, thoughts, ect are greatly welcome.
mrhurtalot
great place to live near (right next to!) okc is the city of Yukon.

thats where i call home and im pretty sure i know exactly what place youll be working at!

stay away from the south side of the okc though. its main population is the black and hispanic "delegations", not being racial but its not the best part of the city. haha

get in contact with me if you want to get to know the area better.
okieflyr
I grew up in Norman, nice city then, and now... Moore used to be a bedroom community for the city, and didn't have the best reputation. General Motors is or has pulled out of the area, and some of the local economy is still reeling.
I've been out of the area for awhile now, but most of my family still lives there.
nebreitling
yukon is allright (might as well check out mustang as well), as is Edmond (more of the "white collar" part of town; typical suburbia). house or apartment?
MBowman325
I saw a few houses in Yukon when I was looking last week.
biggrin.gif Not sure I'd survive in Norman, I've always enjoyed screwing with Sooners. (But just for fun on a low level, nothing personal)

I've got a house now, plus a 70 lbs dog, so I'd like to get another house. Honestly though, I'm not sure how I'm gonna make that happen on such short notice. It took 4 weeks to close on my house when I bought it. I've seen a few that I liked; I'll wind up being creative for the first month or two, and after that, I should be better off. I may borrow my grandparent's motor home until I get something permanat, and take the 914 back ever couple of days to finish things around the house. Not sure what I'll do with my dog.

I'm not real familiar with where the Dell campus is (yet), but I've heard some pretty good things about Del City too.
Joseph Mills
Michael,

I've lived here for many years. This is a good time to be in OKC. After the Murrah bombing, the city pulled itself together and kinda re-invented itself.

Thru some bond issues we now have a new city library, new sports arena, new art museum, new music hall, new baseball stadium, the development of a water canal in Bricktown (cafes & bars), lots of revitalization of downtown, etc.

If you autocross you'll love our SCCA series as well as PCA at a different venue.

Will you be at the Dell center that's on the river? My bike ride goes right by there.

I like the inner city myself (near NW area). My neighborhood has the lowest crime rate of the entire town.

Although I prefer the northside, there are a lot of great neighborhoods on the south side of town as well as the far west (Bethany).

Sounds like you might need to rent for a few months to allow yourself some time for house hunting and possibly learning more about the city before you decide where you want to live.

I'd be happy to visit with you in person or phone. Just PM me.

Sorry but I'm no help with the tax thing.

Welcome to Tiny Town. beer.gif
MBowman325
It appears there was a mix-up in paper work that I had to fax back, and they didn't call, I assume, because of that. (They sent me the forms, but didn't tell me where to fax/mail them back) Couldn't ever get in touch with the HR people that I'd dealt with, and there were no backup people that I was made aware of in out of office e-mail replies or VM messages. Finally got a response that came through to me around 5:30 Friday, so it's a good bet they were already gone for the week. So it looks doubtful that I'll take the job unless they want to push the start date back; thats assuming that they'll call on Monday.

confused24.gif It's not the only thing out there. I'll sit and add a couple more certs to my name and go for something later on. (That'll give me time to finish the Aero too! smile.gif ) I very much appreciate the time that y'all took to help guide me around and give advice.

Thanks again!
Michael

(Maybe this means that I'll have a Christmas tree this year.)
MBowman325
Started a new Thread on this, since a happy middle ground was reached with Dell, mostly with start date, as the salary was already decent. I'll be moving up there sometime between now and the 10th.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=64528

Thanks guys!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.