Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What exactly does corner balancing mean?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
Feed my head with knowledge pray.gif pray.gif
vortrex
give this a read...

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/co...rnerbalance.htm
Zeke
It's where you stand on one corner of the car on one foot and see if you can maintain your balance, i.e., corner balancing. You should not try this when the car is moving.

On the other side of the coin, you could weigh each corner and note the descrepencies. If you find one corner heavier than the one opposite at the same end, and the opposite corner diagonally also heavier that it's opposite at it's end, your car's weight is jacked. Follow that? It gets worse. Excactly what you want if your car is a NASCAR stock car.
TimT
when you corner balance, you should have ballast equal to your weight in the drivers seat. then fiddle with the spring perches, torsion bars etc, until you have have the left/right numbers as close a possible. I dont know the bias front/rear for a 914 but you should try to make front and rear bias match also..

basically you want each wheel to carry the load it is supposed to (ideally)

on my 911 i was able to get these readings with a fat ass ballast ( like me) in the drivers seat

RL410 RF403

RL638 RR 636

all these meassurements are taken with sway bars disconnected... no preload in the suspension.
mskala
Tim,
I'll assume you were just trying to say it with the fewest
words, but the way it reads it is not right. Weight cannot
be moved front to back, or side to side. But it can be put
on the diagonals in the best way.

You want the percentages of the left side weight F/R to be
the same as the percentages of the right side weight F/R.

That doesn't mean the diagonals are the same weight, or
that the fronts are the same weight or the rears are the
same weight.
Mark S.
'70 914-6
Dave_Darling
There is one school of thought that holds that you want to make the cross-weights even. (LF+RR versus RF+LR) I figure that the differences between that method and the other are probably in the level of "noise". At least, when compared to my driving "skills".

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.