Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BBS is slow now... anyone else?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
I have cable, and this site makes it feel like I'm on dial up now sad.gif , other sites are still quick.... is it client end or server?
Jeroen
Nope, it's just slow... same here

cheers,

Jeroen
campbellcj
I have noticed the same thing. Sometimes the page takes forever to load the graphics (just the smilies and buttons, not even talking about large photos). Dunno if it is related to the new server, or something else like an ISP issue?
joea9146
real slow about 5min ago trying to load a picture
vortrex
looks like the server is not handling the I/O well maybe? pings to the router before the server look good, but pinging the server gives awful reponses sporadically.
redshift
I am on way fast cable, and it took nearly 15 seconds to load the reply page.

It's Karl's fault, he has an astrological degree.

icon14.gif

M
Qarl
It must be because "what's his face" is trying to figure out how to load a giant photo of the swastika as his avatar!!!!
Joe Bob
Prolly all the avatars with moving parts....
Curvie Roadlover
Is this something that can be fixed or do we have to learn to live with it? blink.gif
Brad Roberts
I have noticed this also..

First.. I would like to say: finger.gif to all the Unix/Linux/Red hat people...

I'm sure there is *some* tuning that can be done. The server is just a lonely Pentium 450 tower box with 40gig HD and 512k worth of ram running Linux now.

We where on a bad ass NT box... but everyone complained about the outages... right now they are not looking so bad compared to this.

I cant pop for a 3.0gig P4 right now to run this thing (and If I did it would go back to W2K server). I *thought* the 450 box would be "ok" running Linux and doing nothing but serving up this BBS. It has NO other load on it.

We will see.

B
sj914
Definitely feels like dial up.
Qarl
It's not the speed of the box. There is some other issue at stake.

It was running fine until about 24 hrs ago and then it slooooowed big time. It must be trying to run some other processes or is in some loop looking for data.

I have a basic linux box acting as a file server to about 50 machines with constant data access of big giles (2 Mb average) and it is plenty fast.
skline
Some of these avatars are hilarious and quite the attention getters. I would bet the server is having a problem. I am not a Unix or Linux type person, but I can tell when a server is running slow.
boxstr
Lose the animated avatars for a test run and come back to us.
CCLINTESTMODE
kafermeister
This has probably been looked at already but I'm gonna say it anyway.

Has Link Speed and Duplex been nailed on the interfaces or is it still set to Auto?

Rick
SirAndy
i broke it again.
trying to figure out why it's not sending mail out correctly, some domains get it some don't. fiddled with the DNS yesterday cause i couldn't ping a lot of domains from the server itself. still no progress there ... sad.gif

the lag/delay is the server trying to resolve domains and hanging in a loop until it times out. it's all the emails for topic subscriptions ....

soooooo, if everyone who has a subscription for the main forum or specific topics could PLEASE turn those OFF until i have resolved this issue.

thanx,
Andy
seanery
Andy,

Is that something an admin can do globally? confused24.gif
vortrex
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 11 2003, 02:48 AM)
First.. I would like to say: finger.gif to all the Unix/Linux/Red hat people...

512k worth of ram running Linux now.

well there's your problem, 512 "k" of RAM.

ok, kidding aside. like someone mentioned, check the speed/duplex settings. you can also check the interface on the linux box for errors. run a "netstat -s" and look for the retransmission coutner going up.

I'm betting it's the CPU/hard drive, 450Mhz is darn slow for a webserver that's not a personal homepage. what's the load on the server when running "top"? also, you can tune the hard drive with the "hdparm" utility. maybe the IDE settings are off, or is this SCSI?

can you download and install the sysstat RPM? that has an iostat utility which might give some details on CPU and hard drive performance.
airsix
Andy, another problem is that any time you use VNC for remote admin it's going to suck up a huge amount of the boxes bandwidth and make the site slow for people. Turn off X and VNC and use ssh for all your admin. It's low bandwidth and more secure. You can do ANYTHING with a ssh session. Gotta let go of those windows culture "must have a GUI" urges. wink.gif

-Ben
SirAndy
QUOTE(vortrex @ Nov 11 2003, 10:14 AM)
I'm betting it's the CPU/hard drive, 450Mhz is darn slow for a webserver that's not a personal homepage. what's the load on the server when running "top"? also, you can tune the hard drive with the "hdparm" utility. maybe the IDE settings are off, or is this SCSI?

load is less than 10%, even if i'm logged in with VNC on XWindows wink.gif

450 is plenty for just serving web-pages. we used to play quake/unreal with full settings on 450 boxes ...

as i said before, the DNS lookup is fucked up, the server hangs until timeout everytime it can't resolve a domain.

werking on it,
Andy

PS: SCSI
kafermeister
QUOTE(vortrex @ Nov 11 2003, 02:14 PM)
can you download and install the sysstat RPM?

You mean this ?

Rick
vortrex
why don't you turn off email notifications for a bit and then totally disable DNS resolution? we can then see if the site tuns into a screamer.
SirAndy
ok, off to restart the box ...
SirAndy
alright, i think that worked.
all the queued up messages were send now, seems like the DNS is werking. smilie_pokal.gif

Andy
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 11 2003, 10:05 AM)
... if everyone who has a subscription for the main forum or specific topics could PLEASE turn those OFF...

i'll go do that, although i was happy to see that they just started working again for me ...

BTW - it'd be nice if the 'post time' gave you a clue what time zone it was referenced to ...
(be nicer if it'd adjust for client localtime from UTC, but i've learned to take my miracles one at a time ...)
SirAndy
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Nov 11 2003, 11:09 AM)
i'll go do that, although i was happy to see that they just started working again for me ...

if it works, you can leave it on ...
there will only be a delay for the BBS if it can't send out the notification email.

Andy
Jeroen
I'm getting club-emails again!
Dunno what you did, but THANKS ANDY ! ! !

pray.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
vortrex
BBS still seems really slow for me. anyone else feel the same way?
SirAndy
QUOTE(vortrex @ Nov 11 2003, 11:52 AM)
BBS still seems really slow for me. anyone else feel the same way?

much faster for me now....

do a traceroute to 914world.com and post me the details.

Andy
Bruce Allert
it's gett'n faster.
bruce
vortrex
seems more consistent now, a steady 85ms RTT to the server. I was seeing that to the router last night while some really high pings to the server.
redshift
idea.gif

Picked up about the same time I stopped the DOS attack on it!

M
SirAndy
QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 11 2003, 04:50 PM)
idea.gif

Picked up about the same time I stopped the DOS attack on it!

M

very funny. just remember, i have YOUR IP-Address too happy11.gif

Andy
seanery
spank.gif shhhh, no one knows that but us.
redshift
My ip is spoofed thru 1000 proxies!

I am next door, I am the hispanic guy, driving the Hyundai Esteem.

M
Brad Roberts
That is wrong !! Miles...LOL

Good job Andy. I'm sorry that I'm worthless and cant help you with the server.

B
Jeroen
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 12 2003, 10:53 AM)
...I'm sorry that I'm worthless...

So, what else is new wink.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
cnavarro
If it's the server that is too slow, i'd be happy to donate a spare 933 p3 box I have lying around with 1/2 gb of ram. I know it's not 3 ghz, but it's faster than a 450 :-)

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
Brad Roberts
Um.. yes. we will take it.

Oh.. I called and left a message for you last week.

B
cnavarro
I tried calling the # off all914.com today a few times, but it was just ringing. I might have dialed the phone # wrong. Oh well. I'll try giving you a ring tomorrow again. I'll get that computer packed up for the club then :-)

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
campbellcj
Whatever you did, it seems a HELLUVA lot quicker tonite. clap56.gif
bernbomb914
Iam dial up and it is faster now

Bernie
swood
i'm having major trouble trying to view the site. Get an error every other time. Is Native Wayne sabotaging the site?
redshift
In the last 30 minutes, or so.. it's been sketchy, on-off-on-off-on-off.

I think I figger'd out what that odd light switch does in the house where I grew up.... if I just knew how to tell them to STOP FLIPPING IT!

M
Qarl
I think I broke it. I tried to upload an avatar of Zois naked and it busted the server!
SirAndy
ya'all, see the nailed club server thread for answers ... cool.gif

i had to restart the server a few times in the last few hours.
i "hope" i got it all worked out now.

Andy
SirAndy
had to restart the server a couple of times.
done now, back to working on "eCommerce" ...

smash.gif
Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.