Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 914-6 Push Rod Issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Onassis91
I just purchased a 1970 914-6 from the second owner who had owned it for over 25 years. My local mechanic says I have 2 bent push rods and the cost to reapir will be $8-12 beer.gif thousand. This seems really high to me..........Is this the "ususal" price for this type of repair? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
gms
914-6s don't have push rods they have overhead cams.
$8-10K should buy you a very good engine rebuild.
SLITS
1st ...... change mechanics as he doesn't know dick about Porsches. /6 engines do not have pushrods as they are overhead cam engines.

2nd ..... If he is referring to the tubes (4) on the engine, they are oil return from the heads only and the collapsible ones are about $30 each from suppliers (tubes can be changed without removal of heads)
Onassis91
It might have been the tube?????? Belive me, I was in a state of shock when I got the estimate. The mechanic says that their is oil leaking from them? I will speak to him tomorrow and give you guys an update. All the info is greatly appreciated.

P.S. Do you guys know of any good mechanics in the L.A. area (we are about 60 miles away).
Bleyseng
Run from this "local" mechanic as he doesn't know what he is talking about. chair.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(Onassis91 @ Nov 15 2006, 05:58 PM) *

It might have been the tube?????? Belive me, I was in a state of shock when I got the estimate. The mechanic says that their is oil leaking from them? I will speak to him tomorrow and give you guys an update. All the info is greatly appreciated.

P.S. Do you guys know of any good mechanics in the L.A. area (we are about 60 miles away).

60 miles which direction?
Bleyseng
$5k and you can get a good used 3.2 six to put in there instead of the tiny 110hp 2.0L six.
Onassis91
North.
GeorgeRud
Drive, run to see John Williamson @ Otto's in Venice Beach, California. He is a 914 guru and will tell you what you really need.
Eric Taylor
Sounds like your getting screwed. No need for an engine rebuild ( a pricy one too ) just for an oil leak. Like others said the collapsable oil return tubes are cheap and easy to install. I would do the work myself and save a couple bucks.
Eric
Sammy
Ottos has a good rep, so does TRE in hollywierd.

but before you do anything, go to www.pelicanparts.com and order Wayne's book about rebuilding 911 engines. If you do not read that book before getting your engine worked on, you will regret it. I guaranfuchintee it.
McMark
I know a guy who rebuilt his six ($10k) because of bent oil return tubes, and thought they were bent pushrods. I can't understand how people event BEGIN to think they're pushrod tubes... two pushrods per side? WTF?

I agree with everyone else. Get you car outta there ASAP!!!!!! NOW! TODAY!!!
jd74914
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 15 2006, 11:24 PM) *

I know a guy who rebuilt his six ($10k) because of bent oil return tubes, and thought they were bent pushrods. I can't understand how people event BEGIN to think they're pushrod tubes... two pushrods per side? WTF?

WTF.gif blink.gif huh.gif agree.gif
Trekkor
It's a two hour fix.

You should be able to have it done for a couple hundred dollars.

Or DYI-

I did...

KT
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 15 2006, 09:17 PM) *

It's a two hour fix.

You should be able to have it done for a couple hundred dollars.

Or DYI-

I did...

KT

im sure home depot had proper length PVC pushrod tubes poke.gif tongue.gif
Mike D.
How many of you have been to Ottos?

Take it to TRE Motorsports, they are in North Hollywood (SF Valley), or Alex Wong at Precision Tech in Marina Del Rey.

Or buy the tubes and new seals and do it yourself at home.
Trekkor
tubes:

IPB Image

Seals on both ends, seals between the two halves and a cir-clip in the middle to keep them extended.

KT
Eric_Shea
(in my best Billy Crystal Vaudeville voice...)

"He's Ripping You Offffffff"

drunk.gif
IronHillRestorations
If you have bent connecting rods, then a full rebuild would be in order, but I would want more details, and perhaps some local Porsche enthusiasts help and advice.
SirAndy
agree.gif with all of the above ... run for the hills ...

TRE is a good choice, so is Otto's ...

oh, and welcome.png
Dr Evil
Here is a pick of the tube kit. this one is from www.gprparts.com p/n A6044-25232 $35.97 each, your car uses 4, you may not need all 4.
Trekkor
Removing the old one-piece tube is easy...and violent.

Grab ahold of the tube in the middle with a big channel-locks or vice-grips and twist it out without regard. smash.gif

KT
Dr Evil
Not worried about scoring the mating surface for the new O-rings I see.
Trekkor
Correct...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 16 2006, 01:22 PM) *

Not worried about scoring the mating surface for the new O-rings I see.

While they may be a bit hardened, the old o-rings aren't gonna score the bores. The Cap'n
Dr Evil
Duh, O-rings were not my concern. Cocking the end of the tube so as to cause contact between it and the bore was. Not saying 100% efficacy, just a concern I would have.
Trekkor
The stock tubes are very soft and thin. Soup cans are thicker. smile.gif

My "without regard" was semi-joking...More like, grab it in the middle and twist so both ends come straight out of the engine and then remove.

Should take about 10-20 seconds per...

KT
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Onassis91 @ Nov 15 2006, 05:38 PM) *

My local mechanic says I have 2 bent push rods and the cost to reapir will be $8-12 beer.gif thousand. This seems really high to me..........

welcome.png It's not the only thing high, I think your mechanic needs rehab.

Follow instructions listed above, do not deviate or substitute. If it were me I

would do the work myself and save tons of $$$$.

SLITS
Why would anyone buy a 914/6 and know zip about them? At least the posts aren't written in Nigerian.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 16 2006, 03:28 PM) *

At least the posts aren't written in Nigerian.

Maybe not but I think that the mechanic was.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 16 2006, 03:06 PM) *

Duh, O-rings were not my concern. Cocking the end of the tube so as to cause contact between it and the bore was. Not saying 100% efficacy, just a concern I would have.

The tubes protrude only very slightly beyond the o-ring flange. I've done dozens and never scored a bore. The Cap'n
kart54
60 Miles north puts you in either Ventura or Santa Barbara. Which is it? There are a number of good porsche mechanics in both places. Tell me which area and I'll give you a list of potential mechanics I checked out for my race project.
Randy
Ventura, CA
"Car 54 Here I Am" G prod Porsche SCCA
sww914
I squash the tubes as described and the cut the squashed area with tin snips, the come out really easy that way and you only score if the wife's in the mood.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.