Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tore down a 1.7 core motor and found this
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stock93
I got a 1.7 for free the other day from a friend that was locked up. I tore it down and found an oil pump that is different then the other two type IV oil pumps I have and a cam that isnt stock. Can anyone tell me what kind of cam and oil this is?

John
stock93
asdf
stock93
asdf
stock93
asdf
stock93
asdf
stock93
3asef
stock93
asdf4
stock93
asdf4
stock93
asdf5
stock93
asdf6
stock93
I did measure the cam and it comes out to 1.545" using dial guage calipers from the top of the lobe to the opposite side of it. Stock is 1.500" Maybe this will help someone figure out what it is or at least maybe what characteristics it might have.

John
Brad Roberts
Typical Melling oil high volume oil pump.

The cam is a "Dial-A-Cam" from way back (popular during the early to mid 80's). I cant tell the lift/duration from measuring it the way you did. It would have to be installed with a lifter on it to get a true reading of lift.

B
stock93
Thanks Brad. I have no way of doing that considering the engine took a crowbar through two bolts on the crank to turn the engine over even after the cylinders were removed. I'm guessing this cam would be fine to use in a 1.7 carbed temporary engine for my 914?

John
914Timo
Isnt that Type I aftermarket oil pump ???

It looks like Melling oil pump. Is the housing aluminium or cast iron ??
stock93
It appears to be cast iron.

John
Brad Roberts
I cant answer that truthfully.

You need to find somebody with more knowledge of the Dial A Cam setups. I see the numbers on the cam gear and see the offset holes.. but I cant see them well enough to tell you where the cam is currently set.

The whole idea behind that cam: you could "theoretically" advance or retard the cam while it was still in the engine which would allow you to move the torque around. Right now (I'm guessing here) it doesnt appear to be set "straight up" or on a stock setting.

B
914Timo
Hey, we answered at the same time. It just took me longer to read the topic and write the reply.

I knew that, honestly !!!!

laugh.gif
914Timo
It appears to be cast iron.

Yes, like Brad said, definitely Melling high volume oil pump.
stock93
Not to bad for a free core 1.7 I guess. I'm going to use to cam if I can figure out the advance/retard thing. I'm sure it will work a bit better than one with a loose cam gear wink.gif The pump looks to be in good shape so I'm going to run it. It has no play in it compared to my other pump that still had good pressure although a bit worn out. I also got a good 914 case out of this deal to build another engine off of when $$$ and time permits.

John
Brad Roberts
The biggest problem with running "that" Melling... getting a new paper gasket for the cover. If you didnt rip it pulling the cover off... you can reuse it. Otherwise.. its like pulling teeth to hunt down one of those gaskets.

B
stock93
Well that sucks. I did rip it getting it off. Any ideas where to find one?

John
ChrisFoley
I think you can get a gasket that will work from CB Performance. Otherwise just use Locktite 518 gasket eliminator.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.