Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- does this sound fishy to you
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Selling my utility trailer. Put ad up here and put a auction ebay. Had a buy it now for $525 (didn't think I would get it) So a new ebayer (zero feedback) bought it with the buy it now. Now my auction clearly stated $50 deposit and balance in cash at pickup. Below is the email I got from the buyer, sounds fishy to me...

"I will be sending payment of US $50.00 via Money Order/CashierCheck shortly.

Hello, I have a client that is so much interested in the immediate purchase Of this item and he willing send you cashier check, Cashable in your Bank in minutes. And he will include shipment info with the payment that he will send to you. So that you could get hold of the shipper for shipping purpose. I will like you to back to me with your contact name, address and phone number so that I could instruct my client to issue the Payment to you ASAP. Regards "

I responded with:

"Thank you for the purchase of this trailer. Sorry but my auction clearly states NO CHECKS, CASH ONLY and local pick up only. I am not interested in dealing
with any shipping company. If this is going to be an issue then we can cancel this deal and I will relist my item.

I then received this email:

"Hi,
I click your buy it now just now. I will like to state myself clearly, am buying this vehicle on behalf of my client. He would be sending your payment first thing tomorrow pending your response. So I would like you get back to me with the information on which payment will be send to you, which is full name, address and your number on which you could be reach for verbal communication. Best regards

MIND YOU THE PAYMENT WILL BE MADE IN FULL VIA CASHIER CHECK WITH ASURRANCE OF GETTING IT ON MONDAY ASAP"

I responded with a phone number I can be reached at.

So sounds like a scam, but until I actually talk to this person I won't know for sure. I don't have a problem selling it, but I either they give me cash or I won't relase the trailer until the cashier check clears my bank.
race914

And I'll be willing to bet the next step in this song & dance will be that you get a cashiers check way over the requested amount and they'll ask for you to send them a check for the difference.....

I'd stick to your stated conditions on the sale, no checks, local pickup....
Cap'n Krusty
How long have you had internet access? You can't spot a Nigerian by this time? Look at the words and phrases! SCAM! The Cap'n
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 16 2006, 08:01 AM) *

How long have you had internet access? You can't spot a Nigerian by this time? Look at the words and phrases! SCAM! The Cap'n

I know, I know, but "buyers" address location shows Wisconsin. I will give it a day, report it to ebay and relist the trailer.
jsteele22

Reminds me of that old Monty Python bit : Scam, scam, eggs, scam, bacon, scam and scam." You stated your terms. Stick to them.

race914
I was trying to buy some steel lugnuts and made some inquires. Got an offer. Good thing I went in person to see the items and then paid cash.... No problem biggrin.gif

hey wait. that was something I bought from Cap'n Krusty ohmy.gif

Ok.... so CASH is GOOD biggrin.gif .... CHECKS ARE BAD happy11.gif
biosurfer1
who buys a utility trailer for a client?

its not like this is a $500,000 car at barrett jackson through phone bids....a little too weird, and I would be pissed they used buy it now and wasted your time!
dmenche914
I smell fishy fish here
nomore9one4
100% scam! Contact ebay immediatly. Hopefully you will not have to pay ebay fees to relist. These scammers are killing a good thing and wasting alot of peoples time.
race914
I need to add that Cap'n Krusty provided the EXACT product advertised for the EXACT price... thumb3d.gif

GOLD STAR SELLER with no requests for checks, etc.....

Of course, he is from Santa Maria, Ca not Nigeria blink.gif

WEST COAST ROCKS! aktion035.gif
grantsfo
Rule of thumb if you ask the question "Does this sound fishy" it is a scam.
So.Cal.914
agree.gif If it looks like a fish and smells like a fish there is a very good chance it

is a fish. Sounds fishy to me also.
GaroldShaffer
So what everyone is saying is that sounds fishy blink.gif splat.gif thumb3d.gif
Crazyhippy
You guys not like deling w/ my buyer??

I'm far to rich and powerful to be purchasing things on my own, so i have my buyer do it... Is there a problem w/ that?

It's a scam. Hold out for the CASH!!, maybe the shipping company can bring it when they pick it up.

BJH
TINCAN914

Read between the lines

Just for kicks, tell him that for the inconvience of dealing with a check, your price just doubled.. I would think that these jerk offs would change up the story line. Repost your trailer and ignore e-mails like this.
Good Luck..
SirAndy

agree.gif
highways
I usually ask for some sort of proof on these things... like naked pictures of the buyers wife. So far I haven't ever seen any proof. Or gotten any more emails for that matter...
Dr Evil
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 16 2006, 01:51 PM) *

agree.gif

agree.gif C'mon man, slap your self silly for wondering. They have "agents" that do live in the US so as to make their scams look more appealing. Still the exact same scam that I have heard of and been offered many times before. Look up Nigerian 419 scam. Its been around since before the internet. Its good that you ask, though. we would not want you getting ripped off wink.gif
GaroldShaffer
I knew it was a scam, but .....wasn't sure if I was just over reacting to it.
JPB
Does a snapper have lips? chairfall.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Garold:
It loks to me like a BIG FLOPPY CARP, and smells that way to.

Dave slap.gif
JB 914
QUACK! QUACK! QUACK! QUACK! QUACK!

IT'S A DUCK!!
KaptKaos
Did I mention that this is a SCAM

Run, don't walk, RUN away.........
bwilless
I'll ask these guys to send the check to my mailing address of:

FBI Headquarters
6969 Justice Way
Quantico, VA 22000

Then I never hear back from them.
Michael N
Or maybe he's legit and "his client hired him to get a trailer for a big fish he's trying to catch". av-943.gif

They just keep throwing out the line...sooner or later they'll get a bite.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.