Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What are good books to read?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nine14cats
Anyone read "How To Make Your Car Handle" by Fred Puhn? I'd like to learn more about the relationship of the different aspects of my track car (relation of spring rates to shock rebound settings to AR settings, etc).

Anyone have any recommended readings?

Thanks,

Bill P.
Brett W
Race Car Vehicle Dynamics, by Milliken and Milliken.
The Automotive Chassis, J Reimpell, H. SToll, J.W. Betzler.
Brad Roberts
That one is good to start with. The biggest issue: most everything out there is OLD. I havent seen too many "latest" releases and most of them deal with open wheel cars (Indy and such)

This is the one I learn the most from:

RaceCar Engineering (magazine)

It is semi difficult to come by, but I find it at certain Barnes&Nobles. It is the most up to date publication when it comes to race cars that I can find on a shelf.

There is another called "RaceTech" but it is hard to find also. Both of them come from Europe.

B
nine14cats
My Barnes & Noble carries RaceCar Engineering. I always get it and read it on the plane and in airports during my frequent travels. It has great articles.

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Several times I have looked into Race Car engineering classes in Europe. Cant bring myself to move to the UK..LOL

I F-'d up big time. I grew up in Arlington Texas.. home to UT Arlington and the most winning SAE college team in the racing category!! I knew about back then, but didnt think much about it. I always ran across them at SCCA AutoX events testing.. I just couldnt bring myself to be a full blown "engineer" even though I studied under a mechanical engineer while going to school.

Now I could kick myself.

B
Brett W
The two books I listed are the most up to date books available. They cover everything from production cars to race cars. There are are good sections on the semi trailing arm suspension and the strut suspension. They are worth buying.

My biggest problem with Race Tech and Racecar Engineering are they are so limited and they seem more like an advertisement for some new stuff than a true technical magazine. Now they do have their good articles from time to time.

The Best info will come from currently published textbooks and SAE white papers. You should start perusing the SAE website for good info.

Brad you don't have to go to Europe for chassis classes, Claude Rouelle puts on some of the best classes in the world as does SAE. They hold one each year at Panoz about chassis setup. Real world chassis set up on multiple race cars.
Brad Roberts
Funny how we think a like!

I called Bill last night around 5:45pm and told him about the Claude classes..LOL

B
groot
Brad,

I've made similar decsions in my past.... One day, over beers, we'll chat about it. Brett and I have talked about it already.

BTW..... another book I really enjoyed on the subject is "The Racing & High-Performance Tire" by Paul Haney.
Matt Romanowski
Kevin,

You recommend that book? I was thinking about buying it just the other day. It's worth it?
groot
I do.... it's much more than just tires, but that's the central theme.
Cory M

Several times I have looked into Race Car engineering classes in Europe. Cant bring myself to move to the UK..LOL

No need to travel to Europe there are courses you could take at home in SoCal. Claude Roulle offers classes here: http://www.optimumg.com/. Although from the curriculum it appears that most of the focus is on data Acquisition so it isn't really geared towards the average club guy, and it's pretty damn expensive.

Other books:

Tune to Win, Carrol Smith
Competition Car Suspension
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.