Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got welder, need rust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crash914
Ok, just picked up a lincoln 135 110v gas mig....Now I need to learn how to use it... smash.gif

did anyone put together a video on welding? I might be thinking about the flair video...I haven't seen it yet either...

Thanks, herb

PS>>> I need a drivers front turn signal bucket....screw stripped.....thanks, herb sad.gif
smrz914
I don't hava any videos but would suggest that you take a class at a JC or go to the book store and buy a book on it.
HarveyH
I think the Eastwood Co. has welding videos. Check their web site

Harvey
seanery
Welder's Handbook is a good place to start.

It's available at Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon...

If you have a buddy that welds have him walk you through setting it up correctly and doing some good, deep welds. Burn through some pieces, it's good to know what happens if you weld to hot.
vortrex
gas MIG will be easy!

I never welded before but got to try yesterday, it only took a couple min before getting a decent weld.

also, yes, maybe go to www.autobodystore.com and get the welding 101 VHS. I have it but have not watched it yet. I have the painting 101 video which is great.
trojanhorsepower
I just got the same welder! I have not had a chance to plug it in, but I did buy a bottle and some steel so I am ready to go. I am no expert but I would say that there is no substitue for practice.

Good luck and enjoy!

-Pete
Mike Pearson
Go to the Miller welders web site (www.millerwelds.com) and look for their "student pack". It's a box of books, pamphlets, and assorted stuff that's worth much more than the $25 they ask for it. It has a great book on GMAW (aka MIG). The page that has the student stuff is at http://www.millerwelds.com/education/tools/ - all the way at the bottom. The MIG book alone normally sells for the $25 they get for the full student pack.

I'm going through it as I get ready to fire up my new welder, too. (I bought a Hobart Handler 135 with a cart from TollGas on eBay.)
John Kelly
You might get a few tips from my welding article:

http://www.type2.com/library/body/wlsh.htm

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
hberwald
Great useful info guys... smilie_pokal.gif

Did anyone have a problem mounting the welder to the cart? The bottle hits and crimps the gas feed...I did move the welder as forward as I could, its better, but this is a poor design. I did notice that the Miller has the gas feed more on the side.

I did have some trouble at first, the feed for the wire was not set correctly, feeding too slow...with the setting on 9, the wire was feeding only a 1/2 inch per second...the feed wheels were turning like crazy.

So I fiddled with the wheels, now feeds like crazy!!! laugh.gif

even with a voltage of "A" and feed of 3, I was getting good welds with backside penetration...

Thanks guys!!!

Herb
crash914
last post was me....I did not know that I had an alter ego....herb
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.