Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a need for Porsche only swapmeet near....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Since the Tweeks / Mid America Porsche only swap meet is DOA do you think there would be a need for Porsche only swap meet closer to Chicago? I was talking with a fellow club member here a little while ago about this. I always enjoyed going to Tweeks back in the day just to see what was there.

I don't have a location for this BUT..... maybe I could working something out with The Tire Rack over in South Bend Indiana or some place closer in Illinois?

Maybe I'm nuts, but I think this could turn into something real nice?
736conver
I would try to attend if it were "local". I use to goto the tweeks show. Was very dissapointed when they cancelled it.
gms
As I said before I'm in
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Garold:

I in also,probbly more from N.W. OHIO.

Dave slap.gif

GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smontanaro
I'm game...

Skip
indydad
I really miss the Tweeks and Doc& Cy's here in town and attended all the Tweeks in Ill except th last one. I would attend for sure.
indydad
INDY
mudfoot76
Count me in too!
Howard
No, but I'll be there next week. Who's buying lunch/beer?
GeorgeRud
Chicago Region PCA has had some swap meets in the past, but they never were very large. I would think if anyone would organize a swap meet, you would almost have to get the 356 and PCA crowds involved to get enough people to make it really interesting.

With enough publicity, it could be a hit. I also miss the Tweeks Swap Meet.
cnavarro
I'm in. If we could time it, I could host it and maybe even rent the island park in Momence (1 hr south of chicago) where they have the annual car show for the glad fest in Aug, which I'm sure some of you have attended. It's huge, and usually the guys who cruise Route 66 / dixie hwy come in every year. There are usually millions of dollars of cars every year - stanley steamers, cords, etc... I don't think it would be a good idea to do it the same time, but in the same location.
gms
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 18 2006, 08:42 AM) *

get the 356 and PCA crowds involved...

and the 911 guys, they have all our donor cars happy11.gif
smontanaro
Are we talking about this fall or next spring/summer? I just joined the Chicago Region PCA, so I can carry the idea to them. Anyone with appropriate (356|912|911|etc) Registry contacts?

Skip
GeorgeRud
Since it usually takes some time to organize something, I would think an early spring event would be a good idea. Everyone is kind of crazy from the winter around here, and is looking for something to do. Also, if it's early enough in the springtime, it still allows you to get your donor parts, put them on, and enjoy the car for the summer.

I wonder if Brad Mayeur would have any suggestions, he's also in central Illinois. One hour south of Chicago would certainly be a nicer drive than going down to Effinngham in the summertime (especially with no AC and 90 degree temps!).
ChicagoPete
There was a Swap Meet that was supposed to take place back in the summer of '05 at the Kruse Auction house down in Auburn...

Anyone remember seeing the adverts for it in Pano and Excellence? It was in both for months prior!

I drove down there for it...and no one from Kruse had any info. Total BUST! There were about 20 other Porsches roaming around and everyone asking the same question. The only thing going on was a Civil War renenactment?

That same summer, the Chicago Region had one organized at John Ruther's place...Northstar Motorsports...I never made it. Anyone on here make it to that one?

I am certainly in for a good swap meet here in Chicago. Was actually thinking about heading out to Hershey this spring to start collecting parts for another project.

Peter

GeorgeRud
I made the one at Northstar last year, it was alright though not very big. More of a chance to get together to BS than sell/buy parts.

Several years back, there was a large one in Oshkosh, WI at the Experimental Aircraft Museum (just across the lake from Road America) that was a big hit and had lots of vendors and buyers, so I believe there is enough enthusiasm in the Midwest to hold one successfully. Definately would have to be an all Porsches swap to attract a crowd though.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(cnavarro @ Nov 18 2006, 02:28 PM) *

I'm in. If we could time it, I could host it and maybe even rent the island park in Momence (1 hr south of chicago) where they have the annual car show for the glad fest in Aug, which I'm sure some of you have attended. It's huge, and usually the guys who cruise Route 66 / dixie hwy come in every year. There are usually millions of dollars of cars every year - stanley steamers, cords, etc... I don't think it would be a good idea to do it the same time, but in the same location.

That would be cool. I think a spring swap meet would be excellent. Charles any idea what the cost would be to use the park? I would think it would need to be held in a place that is easy to find.

Also I might have a inside line on using the tire rack facility in South Bend Indiana.
Here is a link with a MAP to their location TIRE RACK

Nice big lot, easy to find, just off the Indiana toll road.

How would this be advertised? It costs nothing to email local PCA regions and ask that they put a notice in their monthly newsletter and website. What about Posrche car mags and mags like hemmings and such? Also woud their be a charge for vendors and people wanting to sell parts?

I have never been to Hershey so I don't know how they do it, anyone know?

BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Garold:

At Hershey there is a charge for vendors,people chose show good idea, but you need to
get buyers there. Hershey attracts thousands of buyers,hundreds of
vendors. Start off modestly and this can build. My pick for a date would
be mid May. Hershey is always the last weekend in April,no sense in
competing with them. Or go to the fall mid to late Sept.

my 2 cents. Dave slap.gif
Casper
The "Omaha Crew" was set to go to Effingham again this year when they pulled the plug on that event. If the swap meet included the entire Porsche family and not just teeners, I wouldn't be surprised if we would make the trip again.

An additional attraction, such as a drivers ed event, auto cross, etc., might also enhance attendance.

Tom Cooper
Casper
Dave,

I heard a rumor that Hershey was going to move a week earlier to try and avoid the annual rainy weekend in Pa.

One could consider the date that Tweeks/Mid America used of the second weekend in June. That should be vacant. Just don't do it in the heat of summer.

Tom Cooper
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.